Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Seraphim

  1. #1
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ft.Worth, TX / Thessaloniki, Greece
    Posts
    159
    Rep Power
    11

    Seraphim

    Is anyone aware of any diminutives of the name Seraphim? I didn't even know it was used in Russia. Even then not outside of priests who have taken the name for the Saints.

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Mowcow, Russia
    Posts
    1,957
    Rep Power
    12
    The male form of this name is hardly ever used, except by monks or priests, who take a new name when they take vows or ger ordained.

    The female form, Серафима, is more common, or perhaps I should say a bit less uncommon, and the diminutuve form of it would be Сима.

  3. #3
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ft.Worth, TX / Thessaloniki, Greece
    Posts
    159
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by translations.nm.ru
    The male form of this name is hardly ever used, except by monks or priests, who take a new name when they take vows or ger ordained.
    That's exactly what I thought until I met two little russian boys both named Seraphim last weekend. I've only ever heard of priest taking the name, or people with St. Seraphim of Sarov as their patron. Never anyone outright named Seraphim. One of the boys was about 5 or 6 and his mother, father and the matushka all called him something that I never caught. It could have well been a personal little pet name for him.

    The female form, Серафима, is more common, or perhaps I should say a bit less uncommon, and the diminutuve form of it would be Сима.
    Are you quite sure there isn't a diminutive for the male form of the name? Among my Greek friends I've found Seraphima popular, yet Seraphim still seems fairly uncommon.

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,607
    Rep Power
    12
    Серафимушка Serafimushka (pet name of the male version of the name) Honestly, the name makes me want to puke. No one in their right mind in Russia would ever call their child that. Unless they really really hate their offspring. The name stinks of medieval ages to say the least.
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,607
    Rep Power
    12
    Would you call your son Baldrick?
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22
    I think it could be Ефим(-ушка) or Фима, or smth like that. These names are of absolutly different origin, but sound close enough to be used as diminutive forms of Серафим.

  7. #7
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Ft.Worth, TX / Thessaloniki, Greece
    Posts
    159
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    Would you call your son Baldrick?

    My dad's name is Baldrick.

  8. #8
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Ottawa, ON
    Posts
    379
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    Honestly, the name makes me want to puke. No one in their right mind in Russia would ever call their child that. Unless they really really hate their offspring. The name stinks of medieval ages to say the least.
    I don't like it much either, but I think you are overreacting. I can easily imagine that someone will like it... Do you know Фёкла Толстая? Until I "met" her (on TV) I never thought someone would name a kid that old-fashioned absolutely obsolete name... But you get used to stuff, you know... Now, I kind of like it

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,607
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Tambakis
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    Would you call your son Baldrick?

    My dad's name is Baldrick.
    Get out of town, man
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,607
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeM
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    Honestly, the name makes me want to puke. No one in their right mind in Russia would ever call their child that. Unless they really really hate their offspring. The name stinks of medieval ages to say the least.
    I don't like it much either, but I think you are overreacting. I can easily imagine that someone will like it... Do you know Фёкла Толстая? Until I "met" her (on TV) I never thought someone would name a kid that old-fashioned absolutely obsolete name... But you get used to stuff, you know... Now, I kind of like it
    What kinda BF was this Фёкла Толстая from?
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    The guy who played Baldrick, Tony Robinson I believe he is called, uses the library of my university (he's doing some history thing). I have seen him many a time.
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  12. #12
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,607
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by TATY
    The guy who played Baldrick, Tony Robinson I believe he is called, uses the library of my university (he's doing some history thing). I have seen him many a time.
    Yep, Tony Robinson. Well, you're lucky you have a chance to say "Sod off, Baldrick".
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

  13. #13
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    Quote Originally Posted by TATY
    The guy who played Baldrick, Tony Robinson I believe he is called, uses the library of my university (he's doing some history thing). I have seen him many a time.
    Yep, Tony Robinson. Well, you're lucky you have a chance to say "Sod off, Baldrick".
    I would never dare, but one time a very respectable and serious looking accademic suddenly shouted "Baldrick!" and pointed at him accross the canteen.
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary