Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Nikita

  1. #1
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Eastern Europe
    Posts
    4
    Rep Power
    0

    Nikita

    Is Nikita really a male name in Russia?
    I thought I'll just ask... I won't belive it.Besides it has -a at the end.This means the word is female... Should mean...
    xyu воинe...x_x

  2. #2
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Россия, РТ
    Posts
    572
    Rep Power
    12
    Yes, it is an old male name. And it is stressed on the second syllable. Not all words ending with “a” are feminine. This is especially valid for names.

  3. #3
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Invalid City!
    Posts
    1,352
    Rep Power
    13
    Yes it is, you didn't think Krushchev was a woman did you?

    It's not the only Russian male name ending in -a either, there are others. фома, for example.

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,607
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Nikita

    Quote Originally Posted by Кошка_Mandy
    Is Nikita really a male name in Russia?
    I thought I'll just ask... I won't belive it.Besides it has -a at the end.This means the word is female... Should mean...
    As Tu-160 pointed out, the stress falls on the second syllable, that is ni-KEET-ah. The vocative would be ni-KEET.
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    1,607
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    It's not the only Russian male name ending in -a either, there are others. фома, for example.
    Саша, Женя, Коля, Валя, Гоша, Жора, Серёжа, Дима, Гена, Костя, Володя, Рома to name a few...
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

  6. #6
    Zeo
    Zeo is offline
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Colorado, USA
    Posts
    5
    Rep Power
    9
    I guess this would be a good place to ask--how do you spell Nikita in Russian? Is it Никита? I just wanted to be sure.

  7. #7
    Властелин charlestonian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Local bar
    Posts
    1,477
    Rep Power
    10
    Outside Russia, Nikita can be a girl's name.

    LeFemme Nikita and The Point of No Return - A Hollywood Jesus ...
    A very violent gang girl, Nikita, murders a police officer. She is arrested, found guilty of murder and sentenced to life in prison. ...
    www.hollywoodjesus.com/LeFemme.htm
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

  8. #8
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeo
    I guess this would be a good place to ask--how do you spell Nikita in Russian? Is it Никита? I just wanted to be sure.
    Никита.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  9. #9
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    559
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    It's not the only Russian male name ending in -a either, there are others. фома, for example.
    Саша, Женя, Коля, Валя, Гоша, Жора, Серёжа, Дима, Гена, Костя, Володя, Рома to name a few...
    Those names do not count, because the way you put them, they are уменьшительные, ласкательные forms. The original names of those you mentioned, do not end with A
    Не плюй в колодец, пригодится водицы, напиться.

Similar Threads

  1. Evil commie Nikita Khrushchev :)
    By gRomoZeka in forum Politics
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: September 14th, 2006, 10:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary