Thread: Will I need a voltage adaptor?

Новичок

Will I need a voltage adaptor?

I'm traveling to Moscow next week. Will I need a voltage converter for my American-manufactured (Dell) laptop? If so, where can I purchase one and what will it cost?

Tom

In Russia, voltage is 220 as opposed to 110 in US. You should check if your adapter has a switch to go to 220V mode. Or it is best to visit www.dell.com for support on your specific model.
    ~ Мастерадминов Мастерадмин Мастерадминович ~

al
    Почётный участник
    Also, don't forget that plugs in Russia are with round pins, not the flat ones. It was quite a problem for me when I came to Canada, even though my adapters were 110V compatible.
    Хорошо не просто там где нас нет, а там где нас никогда и не было.

Quote Originally Posted by al
    Also, don't forget that plugs in Russia are with round pins, not the flat ones. It was quite a problem for me when I came to Canada, even though my adapters were 110V compatible.
    Desktop adapters go in the form of a "round-pin" plug with the third one as a ground, same is used in Russia since recently.

See this page
    http://www.goinginstyle.com/gis/body_su ... &CurPage=2

Converter to the standard Russian plug:

Desktop/laptop plug that became common in Russia recently:
    ~ Мастерадминов Мастерадмин Мастерадминович ~

JB
    Старший оракул
    I have the plug adapter but what do I need for the telephone line connection? Will my modem recognize the Russian telephone signal? Help! I'm electronically and computer challenged and am moving to Moscow in 6 weeks!
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by JB
    I have the plug adapter but what do I need for the telephone line connection? Will my modem recognize the Russian telephone signal? Help! I'm electronically and computer challenged and am moving to Moscow in 6 weeks!
    Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't really see why your modem would have any problem there. Of course you might have to faff about with the DUN settings (dial up networking, i.e. connection settings). For example, in my case, probably because of very old telephone engineering in my apartment, I had to change from tone to pulse dialling to get it to work. The other thing is that (again, if you have an old set up in your apartment) you might find that you need an adapter to plug the phone jack in the wall. That really was a pain in the a**, I nearly electrocuted myself
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

JB
    Старший оракул
    Can the phone jack adaptor be found at any computer supply store? What is it called in Russian language? Please be patient with my dumb questions. I am REALLY computer challenged.
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Почтенный гражданин
    I didn't need a phone jack adapter. I just plugged the line that had previously run to the phone into my modem and it worked fine for me

Старший оракул
    Probably you will be lucky and it will be just as Lindzi says. We're a bit backward down here in Stavropol
    Море удачи и дачу у моря