Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Russian wikipedia

  1. #1
    JackBoni
    Guest

    Russian wikipedia

    Hi,

    I've posted my message in this section as I believe this might be a good additional resource for learners. My question, though, is whether wikipedia in Russian is generally accurate grammatically? Obviously the articles will be written by natives, but some of the articles I've read on Wikipedia in English, German and a few in Norwegian sound a bit strange stylistically. Would it be best to avoid it, or is it okay in terms of grammatical accuracy etc? I realise it's probably a bit of an odd thing to ask...

    Thanks

    Jack

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Russian wikipedia

    Quote Originally Posted by JackBoni
    My question, though, is whether wikipedia in Russian is generally accurate grammatically?
    Of course not. Anyone who wants writes them. I often see mistakes in Russian articles on Wikipedia. Natives make many mistakes too, like in any other language, I believe.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  3. #3
    JackBoni
    Guest

    Re: Russian wikipedia

    Okay; thanks Оля. I expected that sort of answer, but thanks for the confirmation

    Jack

  4. #4
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Russian wikipedia

    Quote Originally Posted by JackBoni
    My question, though, is whether wikipedia in Russian is generally accurate grammatically? Obviously the articles will be written by natives, but some of the articles I've read on Wikipedia in English, German and a few in Norwegian sound a bit strange stylistically.
    You can't even be sure they're natives. Our final assignment in Russian class last semester was to write a Russian Wikipedia article (vetted by our teacher before being posted, though).
    Пожалуйста, исправляйте мои ошибки.

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    27

    Re: Russian wikipedia

    Not all natives know grammar unfortunately.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: Russian wikipedia

    Sometimes articles expected to be Russian are just translated from English, and this translation may be pure badly done.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,384
    Rep Power
    12

    Re: Russian wikipedia

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    You can't even be sure they're natives. Our final assignment in Russian class last semester was to write a Russian Wikipedia article (vetted by our teacher before being posted, though).
    Надо же, какие вещи выясняются. )) Но это у вас хорошо придумали, приятно, наверное, осознавать, что твою работу увидят многие. (:
    Извините, что не на английском.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    are just translated from English, and this translation may be pure badly done
    На некоторых будто написано: «Перевод с английского». Синтаксис, характерный для английского, но не для русского, «английские» запятые и т. д. То, что эти статьи писали носители русского, ничего не меняет. Все равно это не естественный русский язык, а что-то другое.

    is it okay in terms of grammatical accuracy etc?
    Это ж Википедия. Она постоянно меняется. Сегодня в какой-то статье все окей, а завтра кто-нибудь исправит правильный вариант на неправильный или добавит с десяток предложений, написанных с ошибками.
    If you have problems with both posting new messages and sending PMs, you can send an e-mail to the Forum Administrator here:
    http://masterrussian.net/sendmessage.php
    У меня что-то с почтой, на ЛС ответить не могу. (

  8. #8
    SAn
    SAn is offline
    Почтенный гражданин SAn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Сколково
    Posts
    399
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Russian wikipedia

    I have ever seen articles which were translated into russian by translation software.

    I think you should only read articles on common subjects. They are good enough:
    Russia
    Russian language
    And so on.

  9. #9
    Почтенный гражданин delog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    pale blue dot
    Posts
    270
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Russian wikipedia

    Read best articles first, I think, they has much less mistakes: http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Википедия:Избранные_статьи
    English as a Second Language by Jeff McQuillan and Lucy Tse.

  10. #10
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    510
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: Russian wikipedia

    Quote Originally Posted by JackBoni
    Hi,

    I've posted my message in this section as I believe this might be a good additional resource for learners. My question, though, is whether wikipedia in Russian is generally accurate grammatically? Obviously the articles will be written by natives, but some of the articles I've read on Wikipedia in English, German and a few in Norwegian sound a bit strange stylistically. Would it be best to avoid it, or is it okay in terms of grammatical accuracy etc? I realise it's probably a bit of an odd thing to ask...
    I'd say it's less probable to see an article in Russian wiki with grossly screwed up gender, cases and other basic things. Number of non-natives writing there is significantly less than that for English wiki, and unless the article is of no interest for native contributors ( e.g. podunk_ne_elementary_school_soccer_team ) it's most likely to be proofread soon. The style is another problem - there are still a few articles (partially) copypasted from pre-revolutionary Brockhaus and Efron , there are (as already said) literally translated from English. And everlasting тся/ться.
    Russian is tough, let’s go shopping!

  11. #11
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Russian wikipedia

    Quote Originally Posted by Zaya
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    You can't even be sure they're natives. Our final assignment in Russian class last semester was to write a Russian Wikipedia article (vetted by our teacher before being posted, though).
    Надо же, какие вещи выясняются. )) Но это у вас хорошо придумали, приятно, наверное, осознавать, что твою работу увидят многие. (:
    I rather liked the assignment, actually, since it seemed like there was a point to writing it, that it wouldn't just be graded, corrected, and tossed into the recycle bin. I don't think anyone worried too much about our work being out there for all to see, since the point of Wikis is that someone else will come along and improve things once you get the article started. Mine has been edited a few times since I posted it, and so far only one change was language-related. (I began learning Russian last July, so when I wrote it I'd been studying for six months.)

    I'll be brave... here she is: http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%A0%D0% ... 0%B5%D0%B2)
    Пожалуйста, исправляйте мои ошибки.

  12. #12
    SAn
    SAn is offline
    Почтенный гражданин SAn's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Сколково
    Posts
    399
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Russian wikipedia

    Lynn,
    Изначальный договор с Кировским театром
    I have not found any other mistakes or evidences that the page is written by non-native speaker.

  13. #13
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Russian wikipedia

    Quote Originally Posted by SAn
    Lynn,
    Изначальный договор с Кировским театром
    I have not found any other mistakes or evidences that the page is written by non-native speaker.
    I've found another five mistakes, at least.
    But I agree, it doesn't look at all being written by a non-native.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  14. #14
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    90
    Rep Power
    8

    Re: Russian wikipedia

    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Quote Originally Posted by SAn
    Lynn,
    Изначальный договор с Кировским театром
    I have not found any other mistakes or evidences that the page is written by non-native speaker.
    I've found another five mistakes, at least.
    But I agree, it doesn't look at all being written by a non-native.

    Thanks for correcting that, SAn. Olya, can you let me know what those mistakes are so I can fix them? Or have you corrected them yourself?

    (And if I may: "...it doesn't look at all like it was written...")
    Пожалуйста, исправляйте мои ошибки.

  15. #15
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Russian wikipedia

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    (And if I may: "...it doesn't look at all like it was written...")
    Sure you may. I am happy when someone corrects my mistakes. Thank you!

    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn
    Olya, can you let me know what those mistakes are so I can fix them? Or have you corrected them yourself?
    No, I haven't.
    They are mostly commas:

    В сотрудничестве с режиссёром Сергеем Радловым и драматургом Адрианом Пиотровским_(the comma is not needed) Прокофьев создал...

    Изначальный договор с Кировским театром выполнен не был, и заказ на балет перешёл к Большому театру, который тоже отменил постановку после кампании 1936 г. В конце концов премьера состоялась за границей в декабре 1938 г., в Брно, в отсутствие композитора.

    В фильме показана хореография Лавровского, и роль Джульетты исполняла Уланова.
    Maybe that's the only sentence which sounds a bit unnatural. A Russian would write, "...а роль Джульетты исполняла Уланова".

    Другие балетмейстеры, такие как Джон Кранко (John Kranko) в 1962 г., Кэннэт Макмиллан (Kenneth MacMillan) в 1965 г._ (no comma) и Рудольф Нуриев в 1972 г., со временем создали новые постановки балета.

    [s:wno5vt0w]Встепеча[/s:wno5vt0w] Встреча Тибальда с Меркуцио
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 8
    Last Post: June 13th, 2008, 06:44 PM
  2. Wikipedia article about Russian-native pronunciation
    By vox05 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: October 8th, 2007, 08:11 AM
  3. Wikipedia again
    By Vincent Tailors in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: September 27th, 2006, 06:41 AM
  4. Russian Jokes on Wikipedia
    By DenisM in forum Fun Stuff
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: October 24th, 2005, 10:29 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary