Thread: Russian keyboard layout

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia

Russian keyboard layout

Howdy!
    I was just reading through and could not find any thing on keyboard layouts, so I thought I would pose the question to all you learned fellows. I would like to know what everyones preferece is on this subject. Do you prefer the standard Russian keyboard layout or one of the phonetic keyboard layouts and why. Thankyou, thankyou very much! bye.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Почтенный гражданин

Re: Russian keyboard layout

Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Do you prefer the standard Russian keyboard layout or one of the phonetic keyboard layouts and why.
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/PaulGor/kbd_e.htm

I only just started but I prefer the Russian keyboard layout because: -
    (1) For the same price as a QWERTY keboard your can have a mixed ЙЦУКЕН (or whatever it is called) keyboard, or for 5 quid you can have decent stick on letters - for my laptop - works great.
    (2) You can use a Russian keyboard.
    (3) The phonetic approach is not so easy "я" is 'q'; "ж" is 'v'; "ц" is 'c' - ahx it's horrible!
    (4) My guess is that there is a reason for the QWERTY and ЙЦУКЕН layouts in terms of typing effectiveness, not that I can type for toffee but does anybody know

Старший оракул
    I vaguely remember hearing that QWERTY was designed to avoid having frequently-contiguous letters errr contiguous. If you get what I mean. And I don't know how convincing that is, when you look at a word like 'the'.

The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
    Equivalent in Russian?

btw do people know how many wpm they can do? Mine is pretty poor even though I can touch type.

ЙЦУКЕН.. hmm. I can never get used to hitting shift for a comma in Russian. And where's the blasted single quote? Never did find it.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    And where's the blasted single quote? Never did find it.
    Yes, what's the deal with the single quote thing in Russian - do we not need it or not ?

And how many times have you typed Ж-)

Подающий надежды оратор
    waxwing.... ive been asking my wife and mother-in-law the exact same question with regards to their being a russian equivalent to quick brown fox and neither of them say they know of a scentence like it in Russian.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Подающий надежды оратор
    waxwing.... ive been asking my wife and mother-in-law the exact same question with regards to their being a russian equivalent to quick brown fox and neither of them say they know of a scentence like it in Russian.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. - Albert Einstein

Новичок

qwerty does it for me

Hey!
    Just to add my own experience: I very shortly tried the native Russian layout, but at that time understanding the alphabet was difficult enough. The qwerty adaptation is quite logical, and the odd things are quickly remembered. At least, for me. (The c for ц and the h for ч somehow make a lot of sense to me...) It didn't take me more than about an hour of practice to be able to type quickly.
    The only drawback is the awkwardness of using Russian keyboards in Internet cafes in Russia. I feel 4 y.o. again - at that age I started to learn the qwerty keyboard layout!
    Rindert
    Любовь еще, быть может

Подающий надежды оратор
    The qwerty keyboard was designed because high speed typists in the old days would have problems when they typed too fast because the hammers on the typewriters would sometimes cross when hitting adjacent keys and the typewriter would lock up. This still can happen even with a qwerty layout but not as often because the commonly used letters are more spaced. QWERTY was also designed to slow the typist down to help reduce the hammers clashing. How do i know this? Because believe it or not i took typing at school as a subject. Got a Distinction grade as did the other 3 guys taking it... girls wernt as good in general and were slower!!!

Many years later a clever guy called Dvorak decided to rearrange the keyboard. Heres a quote from http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/history.html
    "Dvorak found that the QWERTY arrangement is actually considerably worse than a random arrangement! "
    So Mr D created the Dvorak keyboard layout which in theory is many times faster (when youve finally mastered it having used QWERTY all your life). I tried for a while but thought bugger it and went back to the old keyboard.

Does anyone know though, is the Russian ЙЦУКЕН keyboard like our QWERTY one or more like the dvorak one?

Подающий надежды оратор
    The qwerty keyboard was designed because high speed typists in the old days would have problems when they typed too fast because the hammers on the typewriters would sometimes cross when hitting adjacent keys and the typewriter would lock up. This still can happen even with a qwerty layout but not as often because the commonly used letters are more spaced. QWERTY was also designed to slow the typist down to help reduce the hammers clashing. How do i know this? Because believe it or not i took typing at school as a subject. Got a Distinction grade as did the other 3 guys taking it... girls wernt as good in general and were slower!!!

Many years later a clever guy called Dvorak decided to rearrange the keyboard. Heres a quote from http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak/history.html
    "Dvorak found that the QWERTY arrangement is actually considerably worse than a random arrangement! "
    So Mr D created the Dvorak keyboard layout which in theory is many times faster (when youve finally mastered it having used QWERTY all your life). I tried for a while but thought bugger it and went back to the old keyboard.

Does anyone know though, is the Russian ЙЦУКЕН keyboard like our QWERTY one or more like the dvorak one?

Почтенный гражданин
    I got used to type on ЙЦУКЕН keyboard and it's very useful when you type Russian only text. That layout is a standard in Russia and you don't need to type single quote because there is no such symbol in Russian. I'm using a keyboard very long time but I reach a high skill of Russian typing only about three years ago. It was an irony of fate because it's hard to buy a keyboard in Latvia without cyrillic letters on keys but I had such notebook. I wrote Russian letters by a thin marker and started to type. It had taken about three month to get used but now I'm feeling free to type in Russian.
    Я танцую пьяный на столе нума нума е нума нума нума е
    Снова счастье улыбнулось мне нума нума е нума нума нума е

Почтенный гражданин
    waxwing
    The quick brown fox jumped over the lazy dog.
    Equivalent in Russian?
    Съешь ещё этих мягких французских булок, да выпей чаю

В чащах юга жил-был цитрус, да, но фальшивый экземпляр
    Оригинал: Call me ASAP.
    Перевод: Зови меня Асапом. (С)

Почтенный гражданин
    Съешь ещё этих мягких французских булок, да выпей чаю - missing ь

В чащах юга жил-был цитрус, да, но фальшивый экземпляр - ъ

Подающий надежды оратор
    I think we can forgive QWERTY's scentences missing ь and ъ. I mean, these arnt actual sounded letters but letters that modify other letters. :-)

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by Alware
    Съешь ещё этих мягких французских булок, да выпей чаю - missing ь
    конечно есть мягкии знак - первое слово
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Почтенный гражданин
    Alware

В чащах юга жил-был цитрус, да, но фальшивый экземпляр - ъ
    точно, тут ты прав - фраза то чуть ли не доирволюционная

там "экземпляръ" c ером
    Оригинал: Call me ASAP.
    Перевод: Зови меня Асапом. (С)