Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New to Russian..

JJ
    Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Friendy
    Yes, when I was a little girl, kvas from cisterns was very tasty...
    Yes, indeed. I prefered it for drinking, but not for okroshka it was very sweet. Yeah, a "small" glass of kvas cost only 3 copecks then, a "big" one cost 6 copecks...
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

Завсегдатай
    The singular of Блины is блин. but блин also means like "Crap" or "damn". So i was playing with words there.

Блин ! How can you forget the singular of Блин ! Блин забыл уже ? Не верится ! надо отдохнуть блин!

lol ok i think i proved my point Блин !
    "Damn ! i mean crap! How can u forget the singular of pancake ? I don't believe it ! Crap i need to rest!""

Is how it would roughly translate.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Новичок

begin to learn russian

I want to learn russian. because there is opportunity for me to russia in September. And at the same time I want to master another foreign language. Chinese is my mother tongue. But I find it is very difficult for me to begin. Even how to write the Russion elphabet is very difficult for me. How can I begin with Russion?[color=red]

Завсегдатай
    You can start off with the alphabet:
    http://www.langintro.com/rintro/

And this article on my Russian learner's FAQ may be of help:
    http://www.freewebs.com/pravit/learn.htm

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    The singular of Блины is блин. but блин also means like "cr@p" or "damn". So i was playing with words there.
    Lol, just as well you told me! :P

Подающий надежды оратор
    hey you guys im also new in learning the russian langauge. i know it will be a challenge for me. but im only interested to learn how to speak it orally.. i was wondering if i still need to learn the alphabet? also, how long did it take for you to learn the alphabet? hoping you guys would reply to my post!
    ya plokha gavaryoo pa rooskee!!

Старший оракул
    If you're going to learn Russian, learning the alphabet would make it a whole lot easier.
    Vrei să pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei
    Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei
    Chipul tau si dragostea din tei
    Mi-amintesc de ochii tai

Подающий надежды оратор
    i need some help with the alphabet... i tried to look for a good website where they have a column of russian alphabet and the other column is translation of it in english and the other colum to be how it sounds... aaaaaargh! tvoyu mat!

Завсегдатай
    www.langintro.com

have a day.

bratan reminds me of a guy who either

A) Has some russian friends and wants to talk to them in russian.

or
    B) Likes a russian girl, wants to talk to her in russian.

In any case. You're going to need to learn the alphabet. You'll never learn how to say words (or whole sentences correctly) without being able to learn them in russian.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Подающий надежды оратор
    hey thanks man i really appreciate it. well, its been a long time since i have been wanting to learn russian. i think the language is very cool.. i often try to speak it over the phone on public places (i say easy phrases like hello, good morning, good bye, etc..) and people turn around and look at me, sometimes they would ask what language i was speaking, etc.. its just a nice language... also now that my sister has a russian boyfriend i would like to know more so me and him (alek) can talk russian 24/7,,, hahaha.. about russian girls, well i still dont know how the average russian girl looks like. do u know any websites where i can look at how russian people look like? dont be mistaken though, alek is pure russian but he looks caucasian.. i mean he has dirty blonde hair, blonde body hair, and everything else thatt would make u think he is caucasian white. but he has green eyes.. are all russian people like this with blonde hair?

Новичок
    I found the best way to learn the Russian alphabet, as with most things is to try to teach somone else. This method helps to reinforce what you can remember as well as show you gaps in your knowledge.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Oaky
    I found the best way to learn the Russian alphabet, as with most things is to try to teach somone else. This method helps to reinforce what you can remember as well as show you gaps in your knowledge.
    It brings back one anecdote about a teacher and students. The teacher complains to his colleague about his students: they are so stupid! I explained to them once, they didn't understand. I explained to them for the second time, they didn't understand. I explained to them for the third time, I even started to understand myself but they still didn't understand!

Новичок
    Well, i'm caucasion as you put it and i don't have blonde hair...in fact i'm most probably from Scotland or Ireland along with the celts. Russian people will be the same as us, I mean the original English person has dark brown hair and brown eyes but we get all the variation because we've been invaded so many times in the past. Good way to learn the Russian alphabet: the new penguin russian course, it's what i'm using at university. The alphabet isn't hard to learn after a while and already (after only a week) i don't have to think much about it when reading words. Do about two hours study a day, minimum because that's what i have to do extra on top of my seminars. Write it up in a grid on A4 using colours and draw a picture that starts with that letter in English like for geh you could use a goose. Then u've got an easy reference when reading words.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Bratan_usa
    hey thanks man i really appreciate it. well, its been a long time since i have been wanting to learn russian. i think the language is very cool.. i often try to speak it over the phone on public places (i say easy phrases like hello, good morning, good bye, etc..) and people turn around and look at me, sometimes they would ask what language i was speaking, etc.. its just a nice language... also now that my sister has a russian boyfriend i would like to know more so me and him (alek) can talk russian 24/7,,, hahaha.. about russian girls, well i still dont know how the average russian girl looks like. do u know any websites where i can look at how russian people look like? dont be mistaken though, alek is pure russian but he looks caucasian.. i mean he has dirty blonde hair, blonde body hair, and everything else thatt would make u think he is caucasian white. but he has green eyes.. are all russian people like this with blonde hair?
    Yes. All Russians look exactly alike. This is due to a secret cloning program instituted by Alexei Rykov during his stint as Commissar of the Interior shortly following the Bolshevik takeover. The accusation (which led to Rykov's downfall) that he was involved in a plot to overthrow Stalin was absolutely correct: Rykov's goal was to lead an army of minions with dirty blond hair, blond body hair and green eyes to Moscow and overtake the Kremlin.

Старший оракул
    Bratan_usa:
    All Russian people look differently and we are caucasion.
    Vrei să pleci dar nu ma, nu ma iei
    Nu ma, nu ma iei, nu ma, nu ma, nu ma iei
    Chipul tau si dragostea din tei
    Mi-amintesc de ochii tai

ROTFL, Линдзи!!!
    Кр. -- сестр. тал.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio
    ROTFL, Линдзи!!!
    I do what I can.

Почётный участник

russian alphabet

Hello. I've been studying Russian for five years. How did I learn the alphabet? What worked for me was that I simply looked at each letter and then the sound that went with it and tried to associate the two in my mind. When I did that I went to the next letter like that. Then when I had a group of letters memorized, I covered up the sounds with my hands, looked at the list of letters and repeated the sound that went with each letter. That worked for me, but everyone is different, so it might not work as well for you. anyway, that is how I learned.
    The bureaucracy exists to serve the people; the people don't exist to serve the bureaucracy."- N. I. Bukharin

Завсегдатай
    I've been studying Russian for five years.
    Pravit has compitition

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12