Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PHP

Увлечённый спикер

PHP

I got the PHP thing from phpBB Group. But how do you set it up? I'm not even sure if my server supports it.

By the way, where is masterrussian.com hosted (what site or service)?
    Bacon and Eggs. A day's work for the chicken and... a lifetime's investment for the pig.

mike
    For $300 I will install it for you, Rahul.

Почтенный гражданин
    Is it more difficult than installing w****ws?

mike
    Yes, it is extremely difficult to install and that is why he needs to pay me $300 to do it for him.

z80
    Почтенный гражданин

php

It took me about half a day to work out, and setup my phpbb. Normally I would say that if you cant set it up, you shouldn't be administering it. The trickiest part was the my sql database (Only because the version of linux I'm using to host has an interesting distribution of mysql).

Also, if you can't work out where a site is hosted, again, should you be administering a php BB?
    I hate Signatures

Увлечённый спикер

Re: php

Quote Originally Posted by z80
    It took me about half a day to work out, and setup my phpbb. Normally I would say that if you cant set it up, you shouldn't be administering it. The trickiest part was the my sql database (Only because the version of linux I'm using to host has an interesting distribution of mysql).

Also, if you can't work out where a site is hosted, again, should you be administering a php BB?
    I'm not planning on hosting any sites just yet. I'm just learning and if I like it, I may start looking into it seriously. I'm more into computer programming, slightly different from online databases and servers. Besides, you don't have to be so sarcastic about it.

Oh and Mike, here is my Visa card number: 7147 8232 9691
    Please feel free to help yourself to some of my millions. Your comfort is my priority.
    Bacon and Eggs. A day's work for the chicken and... a lifetime's investment for the pig.

z80
    Почтенный гражданин
    Besides, you don't have to be so sarcastic about it.
    Hehe, Yes, Yes I do.

I beleave (Correct me if I'm wrong) mike was also being sarcastic. PHPBB is one of the easiest, if not the very easiest forum to setup!

I'm not a linux master, but I was able to set it up on linux very quickly.
    I hate Signatures

mike
    You didn't give me your name and expiration date off the card.

Mike, that you should figure out yourself, as well as the other four digits of the credit card number :P
    ~ Мастерадминов Мастерадмин Мастерадминович ~

Увлечённый спикер
    Yah I know. I realized that later but didn't feel like editing it. And I guess the PHPbb thing never worked because as I later found out, my server doesn't have PHP support for the service I chose.

z80
    Почтенный гражданин

two words dude

Two Words dude; Self Hosting.
    I hate Signatures

mike
    In this day and age what paid webhost doesn't offer PHP? There are free messageboards at ezboard.com that aren't too bad. There's another big one but I can't remember the name.

Увлечённый спикер
    Well it isn't paid. That's the problem.

z80
    Почтенный гражданин

oh dear

Please dont tell me you where trying to host a forum on somthing like geocities or any of the other "Free advertising bombarding servers".
    I hate Signatures

Увлечённый спикер
    No, I'm not stupid enough to host a site on Geocities or AngelFire. How could you even imagine something like that? I know a lot of HTML, javascript, and a small amount of ASP. I tried Brinkster for hosting.

z80
    Почтенный гражданин

how?

No, I'm not stupid enough to host a site on Geocities or AngelFire. How could you even imagine something like that?
    You should see the people I work with.......
    I hate Signatures

Увлечённый спикер
    There are free hosting sites that allow PHP. Some might support what is needed for phpBB to run.

z80
    Почтенный гражданин

blah

Blah, another 12 days before my nice fast internet conection. Then I can kick my linux box in the guts again (I've had it turned of for awhile).

When I said host it your self I ment it. Check this out (www.e-smith.org) that distrobution of linux is very very easy to setup, particulary with a dsl conection, although for the new young watch ya call its, it does not have a graphical user interface.

I have never found this a problem my self, because other than setting up a phpbb forum, I have never had to touch the command line, most admin tasks are done though the web based interface (Make sure you disable out side access to this).
    I hate Signatures

mike
    Those Cobalt servers are dumbed down enough for the average person to be able to figure out administration quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by ekalin
    There are free hosting sites that allow PHP. Some might support what is needed for phpBB to run.
    I doubt this, since phpbb needs MySQL database as well. Have you ever seen free websites that support PHP and MySQL?
    ~ Мастерадминов Мастерадмин Мастерадминович ~

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast