Thread: Movies in Russia

Почётный участник

Movies in Russia

Hay, I am just cerious, what movies are available to Russians.
    Guess you could call this a poll. What Russians here have seen the following, and which of them are available in Russia?

The Lord of the Rings series

Star Wars series

Enemy at the Gates

The Matrix series

Shanghai Noon

Shanghai Knights

The Last Samurai

Saving Private Ryan

Indipendence Day
    "Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is doing it. Right is right, even if nobody is doing it."
    St. Augustine
    http://www.paladinrepublic.com

Почтенный гражданин
    Russian stores (and TV-channels) are overloaded of foreign (and mostly American) movies so I assume that it is easier to get American movies in Russia than in the USA. All you mentioned is quite well-known stuff. Unfortunately I am not a movie fan, I've seen only Star Wars and Matrix (and Goblin-translated “The Lord of the Rings).”

I also liked “Forest Gump”

Властелин
    The market is riddled with piracy. The Saint-Petersburg Times wrote that 9 out of 10 music CDs are pirated. And don't quote me on this, but I think it said 6 out of 10 DVDs are pirated. Personally I picked up 'Big Fish', 'Last Samurai', and 'LOTOR: ROTK' for 5 dollars each well before they were released here.
    Corrupting young minds since May 6, 2004.

Старший оракул
    smartdude is right.
    You will not find 'fringe' American or British movies around here easily, but you probably can if you try. I even found 'Blackadder', an 80s British comedy TV series on DVD here.
    However all the blockbusters are very easy to find in DVD or mpeg format. The standard price seems to be 60-80R for an MP4 and 90-120 for a DVD. Sometimes you can get lucky and get a 120R DVD with two films on.
    They are invariably illegal. I only know of 1 shop that has a shelf full of 'legal' DVDs at about 8 times the price of the pirated ones. One of the advantages of piracy - no region encoding on the discs.
    By the way for the l33t hackers out there it is absolute paradise here, you can find almost any kind of software imaginable, and it's all near-free. On the other hand, you can't get broadband down here, every lining has a cloud.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Властелин
    I watched Matrix 3 and wasn't impressed.
    Not so long ago I watched At Home Alone 1 and 3 and got plenty of positive emotions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tu-160
    I also liked “Forest Gump”
    By interesting coincidence I was watching it yesterday (not for the first time). I like it too.
    And I just love "Scent of a Woman" which along with "Forrest Gump" was the first movie in my own possession that I watched in the original.
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by smartdude
    The market is riddled with piracy. The Saint-Petersburg Times wrote that 9 out of 10 music CDs are pirated. And don't quote me on this, but I think it said 6 out of 10 DVDs are pirated. Personally I picked up 'Big Fish', 'Last Samurai', and 'LOTOR: ROTK' for 5 dollars each well before they were released here.
    9 out of 10 music CDs and 10 out of 10 software CDs are pirated. And if you have a friend in a shop selling this stuff, you can get CDs and DVDs even for free...

But unfortunatelly, state has recenty intensified efforts to bring order to the market. Pity. I don't want to pay anything to little Billy Gates

Старший оракул
    My neighbours trade those pirate DVDs and they have a LOT of them around their appartment. Thanx to them I have even such rare films as "Triumph of the Will" by Lenni Riefenstahl. But the choice is very often very casual, I still haven't seen Matrix-3.

Старший оракул
    Friendy, that should be 'Scent'
    Matrix 3 is utter, utter drivel. Number 2 was bad enough.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    Friendy, that should be 'Scent'
    Thanks, waxwing, that was a typo, I've edited the post.
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    smartdude is right.
    You will not find 'fringe' American or British movies around here easily, but you probably can if you try. I even found 'Blackadder', an 80s British comedy TV series on DVD here.
    Well, I actually watch tons of British 'fringe' movies and shows including but not limited to Blackadder every day - it's on the bloody telly.

On the other hand, you can't get broadband down here,
    Oh yes you can. And if you're smart and have connections you can get it for free. Unless you were talking about Stavropol - you probably know better, though I suspect one can get it just as easily down there as one can in St Pete. If they do it in bloody Nahodka or thereabouts, they sure can do it in Stavropol.
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Старший оракул
    Yes, 'down here' means 'in Stavropol'. They have ISDN here. It's awful and very, very expensive. That's it. Nothing else, believe me, I've searched, and asked the people who would know.
    I'd be very, very happy for you to prove me wrong though
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Почётный участник
    DANG! I am at home for a change. I personally thought the Matrix got old fast. I think part 1 was fine, but part 2 was a bunch of same ol, same ol.
    Never bothered to see part 3.
    The only very recent ones I have seen that I really care for are The Passion, The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and The Last Samurai.
    The Last Samurai was the first Tom Cruise movie I ever saw that I liked his performance in and he first Samurai movie I ever cared for.
    The Return of the King had an excellent storyline and breathtaking graphics, The Passion really didn't surprises my but made me happy to see the real story told for a change, rather then this silly feminint public image.
    The Last Samurai was just all around fascinating.

BTW.
    I prefer to pay people the money they earn, when shopping for product.
    "Wrong is wrong, even if everybody is doing it. Right is right, even if nobody is doing it."
    St. Augustine

Почётный участник
    DANG! I am at home for a change. I personally thought the Matrix got old fast. I think part 1 was fine, but part 2 was a bunch of same ol, same ol.
    Never bothered to see part 3.
    The only very recent ones I have seen that I really care for are The Passion, The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King and The Last Samurai.
    The Last Samurai was the first Tom Cruise movie I ever saw that I liked his performance in and he first Samurai movie I ever cared for.
    The Return of the King had an excellent storyline and breathtaking graphics, The Passion really didn't surprises my but made me happy to see the real story told for a change, rather then this silly feminint public image.
    The Last Samurai was just all around fascinating.

BTW.
    I prefer to pay people the money they earn, when shopping for product.
    St. Augustine

Старший оракул
    Oh! I've just seen Matrix-3 and am eager to share my expressions!
    This is a real drivel indeed. I got feeling I was smoked up and didn't understand what was the purpose of all this.

Властелин
    Enemy at the Gates - посмотрела с огромным удовольствием и всем советую.
    Недооцененный фильм...

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Propp
    Oh! I've just seen Matrix-3 and am eager to share my expressions!
    This is a real drivel indeed. I got feeling I was smoked up and didn't understand what was the purpose of all this.
    It's only natural. Most sequels go down this road. The only two things which should've gone on forever are Red Dwarf and Blackadder.
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Почётный участник
    The way it usually goes is part one is good, part 2 is the worst and part 3 is the best.
    I think the guys who made the Matrix, like Rambo and many other movie series, made the mistake of going gung hoe with all of the fancy and "cool" stuff, gutting what once was a good story.
    St. Augustine