Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 57

Thread: MasterRussian 3D

  1. #21
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    the land of cheese and murder
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    Quote Originally Posted by Линдзи
    Dogboy...I have no words.

    BRILLIANT. ПРОСТО BRILLIANT.
    Well heh, . It's not all me. Kazakhstan deserves some credit... Whenever you have Kazakhstan in a story, you know it's gold. It's a wonder more people don't use it!
    I feel the same way about Tatarstan. Ahh, Tatarstan, where my heart resides. <3 <3 <3

  2. #22
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,115
    Rep Power
    14
    it's known as modesty, and I am.

    I am sorry. Sincerely so.
    I am under a lot of stress lately.
    Finals tomorrow.

    Please accept my apolgies.
    That is all. Good night.
    Corrupting young minds since May 6, 2004.

  3. #23
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    the land of cheese and murder
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by smartdude
    it's known as modesty, and I am.

    I am sorry. Sincerely so.
    I am under a lot of stress lately.
    Finals tomorrow.

    Please accept my apolgies.
    That is all. Good night.
    I suppose the fact that you named yourself "smartdude" led me to doubt your modesty. Apologies.

    Good luck on your finals.

  4. #24
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    China
    Posts
    860
    Rep Power
    13
    Well... how could I not join in on this thread??? Guys you have excelled yourselves again! To paraphrase Georgie, you have made the pie higher!

    Let's see. Java open source 3D. Don't believe it doesn't exist. Back in the times when I was interested in this stuff they already existed. At that time, there was a general perception however that Java was just too slow for such work. That may have changed. If you search sourceforge you'll probably find 10 of the blighters.

    Talking of sourceforge, if you're semi-serious about this, why not set it up as a project there? You'll get a lot of strange looks of course
    Then I could subscribe to updates like:

    13th March. v0.54.6 added psychotic jabbering


    btw I once coded a small game prototype (I'm being generous to myself, a bad habit) in C++ with DirectX .. I just had like one room and a bunch of boxes with textures and you just ran about while this robot tried to catch you and shoot you. It was really tough to do well, but very interesting. It did help me to understand just how perverted Microsoft's programmers are.
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

  5. #25
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    the land of cheese and murder
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    13
    Hee hee hee. Always good to use the Georgie quotations. Unfortunately, I can never remember what he actually said, and what SNL made up.

    I know sod-all about programming, but if you need a voice dub for a terrified and/or stupid American touristka, I'm your gal.

  6. #26
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Северо-Восточный Администритивный Округ.
    Posts
    3,471
    Rep Power
    17
    L, You can be the voice of a scared victom sitting in a cell in downtown Алма ата who was pick pocketed by our hero.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

  7. #27
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    the land of cheese and murder
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    L, You can be the voice of a scared victom sitting in a cell in downtown Алма ата who was pick pocketed by our hero.
    ROCK.

  8. #28
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Латвия, Рига
    Posts
    520
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: MasterRussian 3D

    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    We(EffMah and I, that is) have decided to make a 3D game for fun. At present we've got no idea what type of game it'll be or what kind of story it'll have, though we're thinking FPS, or possibly adventure, but we'd like to have the main character be Russian. So we don't inadvertently throw several un-Russian inaccuracies into the game, we'll probably rely on the forum to check stuff Anyhow, does anyone have any suggestions? BTW, it would be awesome if somebody could come up with witty Russian one-liners for the hero to say.
    Why do you plan 3D game? IMHO adventure game looks better in 2D, and you could put your Java applet game directly into a web page.
    Я танцую пьяный на столе нума нума е нума нума нума е
    Снова счастье улыбнулось мне нума нума е нума нума нума е

  9. #29
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    1,437
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    As a matter of fact, we did suggest structuring this character around VendingMachine.
    Really? Amazing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    Have you been spying on our IMs?
    I've simply been testing my telepathic abilities.
    It will if you help us with a story and setting! Otherwise it'll be a game where VendingMachine runs around shooting things.
    I'd love to, I don't know if anything will come out of it, but it would be interesting anyways. Feel free to PM me any questions.
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

  10. #30
    Завсегдатай Scorpio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    1,505
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    Let's see. Java open source 3D. Don't believe it doesn't exist. Back in the times when I was interested in this stuff they already existed. At that time, there was a general perception however that Java was just too slow for such work. That may have changed. If you search sourceforge you'll probably find 10 of the blighters.
    Sometimes I was interested in Java programming too. I remember something 3D-alike, even described as Java DOOM engine (or something alike). Actually, it looked more like Wolfenstein, with block map, orthogonal walls, no texturing, and horrible slow on my P-133.

    However, now everything 3D seems to be OpenGL based... so, if there's OpenGL interface library for Java (probably, there's lots off them) game speed shouldn't be important matter.

    Anyway, why bother if there are Quake and even Q2 engines available for free?
    Кр. -- сестр. тал.

  11. #31
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    с. Хреновое Воронежской обл.
    Posts
    2,481
    Rep Power
    15
    @Dogboy:
    Amazing idea! You know, that's not a half-bad idea. I like the save Michael Jackson spin. Or better yet, what about my theory that Michael Jackson made a clone of himself in the late 80s so that he could join Spetsnaz but remain famous(but the clone became the weird Michael Jackson of today)? We could incorporate it with your idea that mike is actually Michael Jackson and he tried out for American Idol next season and he's going to sing IN HIS SPETSNAZ SUIT!!!

    Waxwing: I don't know any Java anyway, but I did search for some and didn't find any developed ones. But I was rather amazed you were able to code a 3D engine of a sort and even have some sort of AI enemy attack you! I suppose your degree in Maths came in helpful As for setting it up as a sourceforge project, we're not nearly professional enough to make everything tar-gzips and then ramble some crap about CVS and snapshots. At any rate, we're hardly coding anything except scripts. EffMah plans to host it on his own domain anyway.

    BETEP: You see, for some reason I can't stand web-based Java games. Perhaps I simply enjoy the feeling of having a bit of software on my own hard drive and thinking "It's MINE!" I don't like having to go online every time I want to play something(with a 56k dial-up connection, not only do you have slow internet, but you also tie up your phone line). But mainly because it can't do fullscreen if it's embedded in some webpage and you lose the feeling of immersion. Anyhow, we weren't too sure if we wanted to make it an adventure game anyway. But I do agree they look better in 2D. How I yearn for the days of Day of the Tentacle!

    Friendy: Why all the privacy? It would be splendid if you could post your ideas for the game in public.

    Scorpio: You(and waxwing) mustn't overestimate my programming abilities! I've only barely finished the chapter explaining what classes are and how to use constructors(in various forms), destructors, and the like. At any rate, I'm not really worried about game speed, since everyone and his brother(except me, of course) has some 5000GhZ supermachine with 1GB graphics card and high-speed internet. About Quake and Quake2 engines available for free, we can accomplish something similar looking with RealityFactory, which is much easier to use. You know, I've been looking into the Torque engine too, but only because someone wrote a well-reviewed book about it that could show me the ropes. Many of these 3D engines are rather wonderful but they have sod all documentation.

  12. #32
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Moscow, Russia
    Posts
    1,437
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    Friendy: Why all the privacy? It would be splendid if you could post your ideas for the game in public.
    No problem, it's even better.
    "Happy new year, happy new year
    May we all have a vision now and then
    Of a world where every neighbour is a friend"

  13. #33
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Florida (Ho hum)
    Posts
    104
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    Why don't you make it where you are the cop on the mean streets of Siberia Kazakhstan, and you have to go around pick pocketing tourists so you can successfully bribe them for their passport and visas back after you already have them in jail ? The more peoples lives you ruin, the faster you get promoted, untill you are the leader of spetsnaz and you leading raids against the District Atournies trying to slam Micheal Jackson. And, you ultimately become prime minister of Canada.
    Because that would suck. Michael Jackson has no place in a game such as this, and you know it. Plus, people would get angry for exploiting the corrupt Russian cop stereotype.

    Quote Originally Posted by smartdude
    Its not a popular game.
    What did you do for this game?

    Quote Originally Posted by Линдзи
    So when you say you're going to "help," you actually mean that you're going to have Pravit and EffMah teach you how to program.
    EffMah doesn't program.
    Let's all become Circumcellions.

  14. #34
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,115
    Rep Power
    14
    EffMah- Programming under the major programmers and some 3d design.
    Corrupting young minds since May 6, 2004.

  15. #35
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    с. Хреновое Воронежской обл.
    Posts
    2,481
    Rep Power
    15
    OK, we've got a potential setting. I'd like to put it in some semi-distant future in an unnamed former Soviet republic(although you may pretend it is Kazakhstan, Dogboy ). Most of the game will take place in old Soviet industrial towns which have been taken over by warlords. The main character is Russian, perhaps ex-military(ex-Spetsnaz if you want, Dogboy) and he's come to town for a quick buck to work as a mercenary. The game won't start off guns blazing; you'll walk around and find quests(not all of which involve fighting), sort of like in an RPG. So that players won't be overwhelmed(and to save framerates) you won't be able to get to other parts of the town until you've played up to a certain point. However, the jobs you can get in town are more of a side thing to the main story, which will involve lots of dialogue and adventure elements, Friendy In fact, we may scrap the combat side entirely and have it be an RPG-esque adventure. As BETEP already mentioned, perhaps 2D would be best for that, but I think 2D is good for the point-and-click-use-inventory-object type of games, not an actual walk-around-and-talk-to-people game. We'll see, though.

    You know, this sounds an awful lot like a cross between Morrowind and GTA3. However, please think more Morrowind and less GTA3. In fact, try not to think GTA3 at all. It won't be as open-ended as Morrowind, mainly because I'm too lazy to code in hundreds of quests(let alone a world big enough to do them in) but also because I want to stay closer to a central story(which I still haven't decided yet).

    Sound good?

    Does anyone have pics or info about Soviet industrial towns, esp. in Central Asian countries? I'm thinking the mapping will be much easier, as I've heard such towns have a reputation for being extremely blocky with nice straight grids of streets

  16. #36
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Северо-Восточный Администритивный Округ.
    Posts
    3,471
    Rep Power
    17
    What if, to mix things up, right when you are getting back on your feet with money and stuff. The umbrella corp. opens up a small warehouse right behind 1234 казахская улица, and some virus leaks out and turns the place into zombies. then, right when you are about to die because the lickers are over taking the police station, gordon freeman comes in on a chopper with his MP5+Grendades and takes you to new mexico where you plan the attack on canada ? Then later you kill him in a coup and have canada all to yourself. And you may saint princess olga.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

  17. #37
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    1,115
    Rep Power
    14
    Pravit - May I remind you how long Morrowind took to make?

    Dogboy - Perhaps you have heard of a game called, Serious Sam.
    I'd just like to say that the predictabilty of your plot is on the order of flipping a coin at random intervals and waiting for it to land on edge three times in a row.
    Corrupting young minds since May 6, 2004.

  18. #38
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    с. Хреновое Воронежской обл.
    Posts
    2,481
    Rep Power
    15
    It won't be as open-ended as Morrowind, mainly because I'm too lazy to code in hundreds of quests(let alone a world big enough to do them in)

  19. #39
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    China
    Posts
    860
    Rep Power
    13
    Your mission, should you choose to accept it:
    1.To use your very bad Russian to find out which marshrutka goes to Ploschad Lenina.

    2. To walk home from the Cafe after 0.5 litres of vodka on an unusually cold November evening before the snowfall but after some heavy rain - no streetlights, potholes everywhere, black ice and crazy taxi drivers trying to run you over.

    3. You have only 1000R. You have to buy an entire winter outfit at the Rinok by haggling with the traders who are offering 'a special bargain for our friend from America'.

    Море удачи и дачу у моря

  20. #40
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    the land of cheese and murder
    Posts
    663
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy182
    What if, to mix things up, right when you are getting back on your feet with money and stuff. The umbrella corp. opens up a small warehouse right behind 1234 казахская улица, and some virus leaks out and turns the place into zombies. then, right when you are about to die because the lickers are over taking the police station, gordon freeman comes in on a chopper with his MP5+Grendades and takes you to new mexico where you plan the attack on canada ? Then later you kill him in a coup and have canada all to yourself. And you may saint princess olga.
    Anything's better with St. Princess Olga in it.

    Heeeeey if you put in St. Princess Olga, can I do her voice?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. MasterRussian.NET: before and after
    By DDT in forum Tech Support and Site Comments
    Replies: 57
    Last Post: December 10th, 2009, 04:38 AM
  2. MasterRussian on myspace.com :)
    By MasterAdmin in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: May 12th, 2007, 02:16 PM
  3. MasterRussian.com
    By kwatts59 in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: February 12th, 2006, 04:49 PM
  4. what`s wrong with Masterrussian.com?
    By Kamion in forum Tech Support and Site Comments
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 16th, 2004, 02:16 PM
  5. MasterRussian name...
    By MasterAdmin in forum Tech Support and Site Comments
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: June 5th, 2003, 05:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary