Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: разные предложения

Старший оракул
    спасибо болшое, константин .. ты настоящий преподаватель русского языка !
    эти глаголы, мне кажется, самые трудные слова в русском языке

между прочим, почему возможно сказать "пошли" когда ... пойдём
    и тоже "пошлите" .. я ненавижу ...
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Почтенный гражданин
    Saying "пошли" is almost the same as "мы пошли", which means "we are gone". Just like the English phrase it is often used to refer to a situation when "we're about to go", and then, by extension, make it imperative.
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by bad manners
    Saying "пошли" is almost the same as "мы пошли", which means "we are gone". Just like the English phrase it is often used to refer to a situation when "we're about to go", and then, by extension, make it imperative.
    That's right. In Russian, the form of past tense (perfective) is sometimes used as imperative.

E.g. "Взяли!". Can't think of any other examples offhand, but I am sure there are more of them.

Почтенный гражданин
    между прочим, почему возможно сказать "пошли" когда ... пойдём и тоже "пошлите" .. я ненавижу ...
    Пошли, пошлите - Send (Send this letter to Mr.X) Пошли/Пошлите это письмо господину Х.
    Пошли - May be it's not correct but I heard them both. Пошли с нами. Пойдём с нами. (It means the same - Go with us.)
    Пошли - Пошли их всех. (I'm thinking about translation but it close to "Refuse them all and don't care about it")
    Пошлите - from Пошлить = to say salty things. Пошлите, молодой человек.

Saying "пошли" is almost the same as "мы пошли", which means "we are gone".
    I think, "we are gone" is closer to "мы ушли", isn't it?
    Я танцую пьяный на столе нума нума е нума нума нума е
    Снова счастье улыбнулось мне нума нума е нума нума нума е

Старший оракул
    боже мой ... я сдаваюсь

To badmanners,
    I also came to the conclusion that пошли is something close to 'I'm gone' or the more common 'I'm out of here' but I see a few problems. Pashli is like 'Let's go' (it's plural right?) and people never say things like 'Let's be gone (already)' in English. But that's a translation problem, doesn't matter.

What I would like to know is, exactly how 'slangy' is пошли? I hear it all the time in conversation, but would you write it?

And I don't get it about salty things
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Старший оракул
    I think that past perfective in the sense of imperative is colloquial, informal, and sometimes even more or less rude.
    "Быстро собрал свои вещи и ушёл отсюда!" - says a wife to her husband while in a quarrel. - get your things and be gone. Now!
    "Упал, отжался!" - says a sergeant to a private in the Army. (don't know how to say отжаться in English. it means a physical exersice when you push away from the ground with your hands. BTW how it will be in English?)
    "А ну-ка встал с чужого места и сел к параше!" (It is in prison when an old 'respected' criminal asks a novice to move his ass away from the good place and sit by a close-stool )
    I think the idea is that the request is so urgent that it is expected that somebody show a result immediately, as if it had been already made before the request was articulated.

As for 'пошлите' in the sense of 'let's go', well... I think it is vulgar. Not rude, not informal, not uneducated, but simply VULGAR in plebeian sense. It is appropriate to those people form suburbs, you know, the best entertainment of whom are vodka drinking and then poking somebody in the kisser.

Почтенный гражданин
    "Push-ups" is American term for that exercise. But in the military the nasty sergeants would usually omit the name of the exercise and just say "drop and give me 20!" or 30, or 50 or whatever.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Propp
    "Упал, отжался!" - says a sergeant to a private in the Army. (don't know how to say отжаться in English. it means a physical exersice when you push away from the ground with your hands. BTW how it will be in English?)
    Push-up or press up.
    The former is used mostly in American English, the latter in British English

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by waxwing
    боже мой ... я сдаваюсь
    Я сдаюсь is right.
    You can сдавать (bring) a found weapon to the police or (give back) used cans/bottles to the store.

And I don't get it about salty things
    n. пошлость - platitude, salty thing
    v. пошлить - to say пошлости

Пошлите, молодой человек. - (It is a rebuke with a hint.) Young man, you can't talk those things here.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by Propp

As for 'пошлите' in the sense of 'let's go', well... I think it is vulgar. Not rude, not informal, not uneducated, but simply VULGAR in plebeian sense. It is appropriate to those people form suburbs, you know, the best entertainment of whom are vodka drinking and then poking somebody in the kisser.
    Very interesting post, thank you. I suspected as much. I don't like it, it sounds weird, but now I know it's actually vulgar. I love the bit about suburbs By the way, it's better to say something like 'punching someone in the kisser' (since you're using British slang, and 'poking' has a rather different meaning there )
    Море удачи и дачу у моря

Почтенный гражданин
    By the way, it's better to say something like 'punching someone in the kisser' (since you're using British slang, and 'poking' has a rather different meaning there )
    About slang--

punching someone in the kisser = дать в табло, разбить хлебало

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12