Thread: Анатолий Вассерман?

Hanna

Анатолий Вассерман?

I came across a series of videos on Youtube by somebody called Anatoly Wasserman (I am transcribing this to the familiar German spelling of the surname) as I was following some technical links.

The awesome thing about this person is that he speaks Russian very slowly and very clearly. I watched one of his videos. He's looking clearly into the camera and smiles a lot as he talks. In fact; he gives the impression of being a rather interesting, likeable and probably intelligent person...

The interesting thing is that he's uploaded no less than 183 videos to Youtube, on mixed topics!
    The setting for the videos appears to be his own house. Unfortunately I don't understand enough of what he's saying, because my vocabulary in Russian is too limited!

But I am wondering: Who is this man? What't the purpose of his Youtube channel? I wish I could understand more of what he's saying.

One of his lectures was clearly about the history of computing, with a focus on Russia / USSR. But he's also mentioning philosophical and political terminology a great deal which makes me wonder if he's got some kind of political message? Or is he just a scientist or some kind of natural philosoper?
    I can't resist a mystery and this man is quite interesting!

[video:19lhqmrc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IO7U3VOCNFY[/video:19lhqmrc]

Завсегдатай

Re: Анатолий Вассерман?

Анатолій Олександрович Вассерман, 9 декабря 1952, Одесса, УССР) — журналист, политический консультант
    http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/%D0%92%D0% ... 0%B8%D1%87
    The first 5 google results seem to all be associated with the same man (including the link to his youtube page) so I'm assuming thats the guy.

I think I've seen him on Russian TV shows, or he might have had his own show, but this was years ago so I could be mistaken.

I met a Russian guy here in Bishkek, on a semi-unrelated note. His last name was Юнг. There must be almost as much German heritage spread throughout the former republics as there is in any western country.

Verrryyy interesting indeed.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Завсегдатай

I know him, first of all, as a player of the popular TV quiz show "Своя игра".
    I also know that he has a LJ account. He is a citizen of Ukraine and wants Ukraine and Russia to reunite (and he's sure that it will happen, sooner or later).
    Once in "Своя игра" he mentioned that his profession (or one of them?) is speechwriter.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Hanna

Ah, ok now I was able to find out some more... Thanks for the info.

Apparently he is legendary for his "general knowledge" skills and he has been a programmer (I have also been a programmer..) It seems he's the best competitor ever on Russian gameshows for General knowledge.
    He's a kind of a geeky hero...

According to Russian wiki (google translated) : "He considers himself an orthodox Marxist interpretation of the analytical group «Socrates, Plato" (I like Plato too.... and I have nothing against Marx, just the problems caused by peoples interpretation of his works)

Wasserman also plays chess. Funny that I got intrigued by him when he's got the same skills and interests as me, just a lot smarter... I really look forward to when I can understand what he has to say.

He's right about Ukraine - they ought to make up their minds what they want: EU, Russia or chaos...
    The problem with the EU proposition (I just checked this) is that apparently EU is very sceptical against Ukraine for lots of different reasons. Perhaps their best option is to turn back to Russia. What they are doing right now doesn't seem to be very successful and they are stuck in between East/West/ Russia/EU/US without really benefiting much from either, and with no clear direction. (But seriously, I don't know anything about Ukrainian politics really, so I probably shouldn't have said anything. It sad that people there are having a touch time though)

Russian Wiki also says that he tool a vow of celibacy at 17 which he has not broken, and that he is famous for always wearing a vest with lots of different pockets.

Почтенный гражданин

According to Russian wiki (google translated) : "He considers himself an orthodox Marxist interpretation of the analytical group «Socrates, Plato" (I like Plato too.... and I have nothing against Marx, just the problems caused by peoples interpretation of his works)
    That's why machine translations suck. It has nothing to do with http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Платон or other philosophers. It's a fictional person - http://ru.wikipedia.org/wiki/Платонов,_Сократ created by the group of people.

Russian Wiki also says that he tool a vow of celibacy at 17 which he has not broken,
    And lurkmore says it's just a glorified excuse.

*becaue forum software b0rks links with cyrillic, and aparently doesn't allow to enter them using url tags, you may need to copypaste them*
    Russian is tough, let’s go shopping!