Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: The Russian Alveolar Trill

  1. #1
    Почтенный гражданин xXHoax's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Washington State
    Rep Power

    The Russian Alveolar Trill

    I'm slowly introducing myself into linguistics alongside my studying of Russian. I don't know most of the specific names, but I know the broad names of the types of "r"s in languages. Obviously, Russian uses a trilled r. My question is: Is it always a full trill, or does Russian, like some other languages, in certain circumstances, use a "Alveolar flap" or tap (like a single trill)? If so, what are the rules for which to use?

  2. #2
    Почтенный гражданин Suobig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Moscow, Russia
    Rep Power
    Wikipedia says, hard [r] is a trill, soft [rj] is usually a tap. I've tried pronouncing few sounds and that matches with what I feel).
    Additionally [r] is postalveoral/palatal while [rj] is dental/alveoral.

    You should be aware that some native russians are unable to pronounce [r] and [rj] saying [ʁ], [ɣ] or even [ʔ] instead. I've learned to pronounce trilled [r] only 5-6 years ago (having no problems with tap [rj] though). Used to say [ʁ] instead.
    I know it's "MR" not "ME", but still: fix my english mistakes, please!

Similar Threads

  1. Are Т, Д, Л and Н dental or alveolar?
    By Ngm in forum Pronunciation, Speech & Accent
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: December 28th, 2006, 12:01 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary