Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Pronunciation of г in бог

  1. #1
    Увлечённый спикер mudrets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    США - моя родина.
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    8

    Pronunciation of г in бог

    I understand that бог is pronounced бох. Does this non-standard pronunciation of г remain when case and number suffixes are added? For instance, are богу and боги pronounced боху and бохи?

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Pronunciation of г in бог

    Quote Originally Posted by mudrets
    I understand that бог is pronounced бох. Does this non-standard pronunciation of г remain when case and number suffixes are added? For instance, are богу and боги pronounced боху and бохи?
    Бог as [бох] is an exception to the rule. Лог, смог, дог are pronounced [лок], [смок], [док].
    Боги is pronounced [боги].
    Богу is pronounced [богу], or sometimes with a fricative г. But not [боху].
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Москва, Зеленоград.
    Posts
    2,040
    Rep Power
    11
    Traditionally Г in БОГ, ГОСПОДИ are pronounced in Russian as in Church Slavonic with fricative Г ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_glottal_fricative ).
    At the end of the word voiced(sonant) consonants becomes unvoiced consonants.
    So fricative Г becomes Х while ordinal Russian plosive Г ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_velar_plosive ) becomes К.

    This tradition is not very strict at present time and Church Slavonic pronunciation is mainly used in the most frequent forms БОГ and ГОСПОДИ

  4. #4
    Увлечённый спикер mudrets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    США - моя родина.
    Posts
    50
    Rep Power
    8
    Большое спасибо за ответы.
    Thank you very much for the answers.

  5. #5
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    в моей стойке
    Posts
    566
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowik
    Traditionally Г in БОГ, ГОСПОДИ are pronounced in Russian as in Church Slavonic with fricative Г (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_glottal_fricative).
    At the end of the word voiced(sonant) consonants becomes unvoiced consonants.
    So fricative Г becomes Х while ordinal Russian plosive Г ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_velar_plosive ) becomes К.

    This tradition is not very strict at present time and Church Slavonic pronunciation is mainly used in the most frequent forms БОГ and ГОСПОДИ
    Если это так...Хосподи?
    Correct my mistakes and I will give you +1 internets.

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowik
    Traditionally Г in БОГ, ГОСПОДИ are pronounced in Russian as in Church Slavonic with fricative Г (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_glottal_fricative).
    At the end of the word voiced(sonant) consonants becomes unvoiced consonants.
    So fricative Г becomes Х while ordinal Russian plosive Г ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_velar_plosive ) becomes К.

    This tradition is not very strict at present time and Church Slavonic pronunciation is mainly used in the most frequent forms БОГ and ГОСПОДИ
    You said Г in Church Slavonic was a voiced glottal fricative. But X is a voiceless velar fricative, i.e. strictly speaking they are not a pair, as they are pronounced at different locations. The true voiceless counterpart of a voiced glottal fricative is the voicelss glottal fricative /h/, which is English H.

    Currently in Church Slavonic Г is a voiced velar fricative (a voiced Х)
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by xRoosterx
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowik
    Traditionally Г in БОГ, ГОСПОДИ are pronounced in Russian as in Church Slavonic with fricative Г (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_glottal_fricative).
    At the end of the word voiced(sonant) consonants becomes unvoiced consonants.
    So fricative Г becomes Х while ordinal Russian plosive Г ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_velar_plosive ) becomes К.

    This tradition is not very strict at present time and Church Slavonic pronunciation is mainly used in the most frequent forms БОГ and ГОСПОДИ
    Если это так...Хосподи?
    No, because vowels are voiced, so a voiced consonant would be pronounced, which would be the voiced velar fricative. (X is the voiceless velar fricative).
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  8. #8
    ST
    ST is offline
    Властелин ST's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Russia, Novosibirsk
    Posts
    1,351
    Rep Power
    11
    Если это так...Хосподи?
    есть такой вариант..обычно в шутливом стиле:
    http://www.yandex.ru/yandsearch?clid=95 ... 0%B4%D0%B8
    The bear looked at the car, and reflections of fire danced in his eyes. He knew what to do.

  9. #9
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    в моей стойке
    Posts
    566
    Rep Power
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by TATY
    Quote Originally Posted by xRoosterx
    Quote Originally Posted by Wowik
    Traditionally Г in БОГ, ГОСПОДИ are pronounced in Russian as in Church Slavonic with fricative Г (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_glottal_fricative).
    At the end of the word voiced(sonant) consonants becomes unvoiced consonants.
    So fricative Г becomes Х while ordinal Russian plosive Г ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voiced_velar_plosive ) becomes К.

    This tradition is not very strict at present time and Church Slavonic pronunciation is mainly used in the most frequent forms БОГ and ГОСПОДИ
    Если это так...Хосподи?
    No, because vowels are voiced, so a voiced consonant would be pronounced, which would be the voiced velar fricative. (X is the voiceless velar fricative).
    Ah, thanks.
    Correct my mistakes and I will give you +1 internets.

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Москва, Зеленоград.
    Posts
    2,040
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by TATY
    But X is a voiceless velar fricative, i.e. strictly speaking they are not a pair, as they are pronounced at different locations.
    Ну не все разницу осознают, даже если чувствуют, да и "украинских Г" (не взрывных "русских") тоже две штуки .

Similar Threads

  1. Pronunciation
    By delog in forum Learn English - Грамматика, переводы, словарный запас
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: September 27th, 2009, 03:40 PM
  2. Pronunciation of ы and щ
    By Zwanglos in forum Getting Started with Russian
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: January 6th, 2007, 06:38 PM
  3. pronunciation of e
    By paasikivi in forum Pronunciation, Speech & Accent
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: September 29th, 2006, 05:24 PM
  4. pronunciation of o
    By paasikivi in forum Pronunciation, Speech & Accent
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: September 7th, 2006, 09:38 AM
  5. Pronunciation
    By Anne in forum Getting Started with Russian
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: March 12th, 2005, 02:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary