Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Accent variation across Russia

Властелин
    Peterburgers say конечно (and the like) with a hard ч.
    Southerners and Ukranians pronounce г softly.

So, don't trust someone who says, "Конешно, я из Ленинхрад."
    Corrupting young minds since May 6, 2004.

Подающий надежды оратор
    First thing I'd like to say, is that I clearly understand the text in Ukrainean provided above, without knowing Ukrainean. Still, Ukrainean has plenty difference from Russian, and can be considered a seperate language. Those people who spoke about Russian southern dialects actually meant the dialects that are in fact something average between Ukrainean and Russian and that are used in Eastern Ukraine and Southern Russia.

Second, there're 4 major dialects in Russia - those spoken in Smolensk, Ryazan, Vladimir and Novgorod. Moscow Russian is an average of these four dialects. St. Petersburg Russian is a later modification of Moscow Russian. What you hear now in the street is an average of all this.

Somebody has posted a message that there's a difference in accent between modern and old Russian movies. In fact, what you hear in old movies is a good Moscow Russian. What you hear in modern movies is the average Russian. The reason for that is that Moscow Russian was and is considered the correct Russian, and in the past a lot of attenetion was payed to speaking good Moscow Russian in media. But during the last 50 years the population of Moscow has trippled due to migration, and Moscow Russian is not spoken that often even in Moscow anymore. And it turned out to be hard to preserve it in media.

Again, it;s not easy to find a Russian-speaker who speaks dialectal Russian. In fact, most of the country's territory is populated by settlers who moved there in the last 2 or 3 centuries. The biggest cities of Russia are located on the Volga, in the Urals, in Siberia - and they are populated by people who moved from Central Russia not so long ago. The population of the historical Russian territory is small (except Moscow), and the territiory has always been dominated by Moscow. In fact, the population of Moscow is bigger than the population of all other historical Russian territory.

Still, people who come from the towns located in the historical Russian territory usually have a thicker accent than those who come from the territiories taht were populated in the last 3 centuries, allthough the historical regions are closer to Moscow. But they are affected by media and education, that are all in Moscow Russian. In rural areas of these regions, people have wonderfull dialects that are not easy to understand even for a native-speaker. But they aren't proud of having such an accent I recall I've seen a guy in the street in Moscow, who asked me, where a hotel was. And he articulated the question with a VERY thick Vladimir accent, pronouncing "o" instead of "a", "ц" instead of "ч"... And he had to repeat his question three times before I managed to understand him! He turned red during the conversation, because he felt he was speaking "incorrect" Russian.

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    Also, the higher on the social ladder you are, the closer to standard Russian is your accent.
    that isn't always the case, take Gorby for example, his russian is really awful, he speaks like a village retard, he routinely uses the ukrainian g and misplaces the stress in 80% of the words and yet he was as high as you could possibly get in the USSR. Or Chernomyrdin, while his pronounciation may not be as bad when it comes to sentence construction, you'd never guess the man is a native speaker. Looking at tranascripts of his speeches one might think the guy had botched brain surgery.

Почётный участник

Re: Accent variation across Russia

Quote Originally Posted by medzie
    Does anyone have any views on the way spoken Russian varies as you head East across the country from Moscow? I visited Irkutsk recently and, though my Russian is not perfect, I didn't really detect a significant accent. This seemed strange to someone who comes from the UK, where 2 hours on the train could land you in cities where a native speaker can feel lost!!

Was I just not picking it up?
    there are differences in accent as you travel west to east across Russia, they're just more subtle. These differences are rather hard to detect as long as the people stick to standard vocab and grammar. but generally when a friend of mine's cousin came to our city from the Magadan area, I could clearly hear that he spoke differently. Like I said though, the difference was mainly phonetic and very subtle, his intonation was different, sort of curt. you know to my ear the way they speak out in the east is they tend to blurt sentences out, whereas where I'm from , west of Moscow as well as in Moscow itself the intonation is more sing song, with a bit of a drawl to it, thus out there you might get called a кзел while in Moscow they'll call you a каазиёол. There even exist longer equivalents to some grammatical forms, like I was typing up a document in word a few days ago and in one place I had to write that a substance gets neutralized before being deposited, so I just worte that bit in Russia and there instantly appeared a red wavy line under my word for neutralize which was "нейтрализовывается", the standard Russian for this is "нейтрализуется", so where I'm from we tend to lengthen things (that's not the only example, we also say "играются" for "играют" etc) drawl them out. So to sum it up there do exist different accents across Russia, they're just more subtle and they're accent rather than dialects in that the basic vocab and grammar are the same. Dialects are confined to rural areas.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackMage

So, don't trust someone who says, "Конешно."
    Not true. At all.
    "Легче, чем пух, камень плиты.
    Брось на нее цветы."

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by igorfa100
    Quote Originally Posted by VendingMachine
    Also, the higher on the social ladder you are, the closer to standard Russian is your accent.
    that isn't always the case, take Gorby for example, his russian is really awful, he speaks like a village retard, he routinely uses the ukrainian g and misplaces the stress in 80% of the words and yet he was as high as you could possibly get in the USSR. Or Chernomyrdin, while his pronounciation may not be as bad when it comes to sentence construction, you'd never guess the man is a native speaker. Looking at tranascripts of his speeches one might think the guy had botched brain surgery.
    Those chaps are special cases
    Show yourself - destroy our fears - release your mask

Властелин

all of "нейтрализовывается", "нейтрализуется", "играются" and "играют" are correct words in proper literary Russian language. If MS Word doesn't know about that, it is its problem.

I also find it curious when people call the standard dialect "Moscow Russian", when it is one of the few major surviving and distinctly different accents in Russia.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Paxan
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackMage

So, don't trust someone who says, "Конешно."
    Not true. At all.
    Take it up with my teacher.

Завсегдатай
    I'm gunna have to go with not true at all.

There are such things as bad teachers. People like to exagerate things.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Почтенный гражданин
    It's just not true. Everybody(99%) say [што]
    Брось на нее цветы."

Почтенный гражданин
    I'm not trying to be a good teacher. I'm not tryng to be a teacher at all. I just thought Black Mage would understand what Imean by that having so sophisticated but wrong information.
    Пис
    Брось на нее цветы."

Завсегдатай
    I'm not trying to be a good teacher. I'm not tryng to be a teacher at all. I just thought Black Mage would understand what Imean by that having so sophisticated but wrong information.
    Пис
    I didnt say u were a teacher. I was refering to blackies teacher. Why does everyone always misquote me all the time?
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Властелин
    It's just not true. Everybody(99%) say [што]
    I know that, I said that you shouldn't trust someone who says, "Конешно, я из Ленинхрада," because they are lying.

Подающий надежды оратор

Does anyone have any views on the way spoken Russian varies as you head East across the country from Moscow? I visited Irkutsk recently and, though my Russian is not perfect, I didn't really detect a significant accent. This seemed strange to someone who comes from the UK, where 2 hours on the train could land you in cities where a native speaker can feel lost!!

I am Russian and I have a reverse, very serious problem with English.
    I could read books without a vocabulary in 3 years but even after 15 years I cannot tell many variations of spoken English. It is a real frustration bcs you cannot get this knowledge from books and my practice in speaking English is very limited.

Властелин

Quote Originally Posted by garans

I am Russian and I have a reverse, very serious problem with English.
    I could read books without a vocabulary in 3 years but even after 15 years I cannot tell many variations of spoken English. It is a real frustration bcs you cannot get this knowledge from books and my practice in speaking English is very limited.
    That's only because, as you said, your practice in speaking English is limited... I wonder, why do you feel you need to distinguish English dialects though, if you don't have to actually converse with English speakers?

Завсегдатай
    Only people who live in England can recognise all the different accents there, unless you're a linguist or something. To me they all sound the same only varying in strength. The only accents of Enlgish I can recognise at once are American, British, New Zealand, Australian, South African, Indian, Scottish and Irish.

Завсегдатай
    basurero, what about Russian one?

Завсегдатай
    I mean, of native English speakers... Of course there are also Russian accents, spanish accents, french, german etc......

Завсегдатай
    I was kidding.

Завсегдатай
    Yeah right....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast