Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Конгрессмены развязали против Буша войну

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio
    Quote Originally Posted by laxxy
    I am sure GWB is praying to God that the congressmen block the troops increase. In that case any lack of definite success during the following two years will be surely blamed on them.
    Do you really think US public is *that* stupid?

BTW, A nice article to read:

Nikolas Gvosdev and Ray Takeyh
    Mr. President, this war is over

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/11/ ... vosdev.php

and the russian translation on InoSMI:

http://inosmi.ru/stories/01/06/28/3008/232144.html

Your opinion?
    Bush made the sacred dream of any islamic fundamentalist to come true. One problem terrorists had was the fact that the hated Americans were far beyond their reach. But Bush put American soldiers within a gunshot distance from them so that every US-hater there can now shoot at his enemies without going anywhere.
    The Arabs don't value their lives like the Americans do. To them to die in a battle with is a free-ticket to heaven so they don't fear death.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    I am sure GWB is praying to God that the congressmen block the troops increase. In that case any lack of definite success during the following two years will be surely blamed on them. (un)fortunately, the congressmen realize that just as well and won't do that, talking is just that, talking.
    Is the public in the United States really that gullible? If Bush finds someone to blame for his actions he would remain "white and furry" in the eyes of the American press?
    I doubt anything he ever does can make him white and furry in the eyes of the majority of the American press.
    But in the eyes of many of his supporters, yes.
    Does he still have any?
    he's got a plenty -- i don't really follow the news but the last time i checked people were talking about ~60% opposition to war -- which leaves the other 40% on his side in this issue, no?
    which is no surprise really since it looks like no one in the democratic camp has anything resembling a reasonable plan for Iraq either, so why bother. plus he's finally got the primary man to blame for the current situation out (took him a while though).

plus, don't forget that after any war -- vietnam/afghanistan/chechnya/whatever there is never a shortage of people who would say that we were at a brink of victory but failed because of weak politicians. so i dont think there is anything surprising here.

The other 40% are those who don't give a damn about Iraq, probably. Some of them may not even know where it is and who is that George Bush anyway?
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Властелин
    The other 40% are those who don't give a damn about Iraq, probably. Some of them may not even know where it is and who is that George Bush anyway?
    is that how it looks from russia (and gwb is an idiot, and of course no one likes him and people would just love to rather elect michael moore instead )? well you're wrong.
    Plus, as I said, it's not like the opponents look that much better... someone needs to come up with a plan about *how* they intend to win/favourably end this war (and explain what they mean by that), instead of just saying that "I would be better".

It's all politics folks, the Republicans will definitely blame the Democrats if America pulls out and Iraq turns into a huge insolvable mess. The Democrats will subtly point that Republicans were the ones who got us in that mess and the slander-war continues...
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio
    I am sure GWB is praying to God that the congressmen block the troops increase. In that case any lack of definite success during the following two years will be surely blamed on them.
    Do you really think US public is *that* stupid?

BTW, A nice article to read:

Nikolas Gvosdev and Ray Takeyh
    Mr. President, this war is over

http://www.iht.com/articles/2007/01/11/ ... vosdev.php

and the russian translation on InoSMI:

http://inosmi.ru/stories/01/06/28/3008/232144.html

Your opinion?
    Well, I agree, it is a good article, as expected from IHT, hard to disagree with anything there. I can not recommend the inosmi translation though, it sucks. I expected something more extreme from you guys

They are perhaps a bit overly pessimistic about the American ability to affect the eventual outcome. The US has a plenty of leverage there -- but to actually use it a well thought-out practical plan would be required, and so far it does not look like there is one. Surely everyone would have liked to see the troops go home and leave a united, peaceful, friendly, democratic Iraq behind, but the window of opportunity for that is now closed and one has to prioritize.

Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    It's all politics folks, the Republicans will definitely blame the Democrats if America pulls out and Iraq turns into a huge insolvable mess. The Democrats will subtly point that Republicans were the ones who got us in that mess and the slander-war continues...
    This is a fine art of politics: to blame someone else for your own faults.
    Кр. -- сестр. тал.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12