Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Why you don't like Americans. (Those from United States)

Почётный участник
    [quote=bad manners]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Angel_of_Death-NZ":1d3vr7av
    they look better than other cars. faster too.
    Better and faster than the other American cars? Anyone can do it. That is precisely my point.[/quote:1d3vr7av]

I mean American cars are faster and look better.

Почтенный гражданин
    Then you're a mere tool of the bottled water industry, bm - and that's more malign a force than Big Tobacco, if you ask me. Or perhaps you steer clear of water entirely?
    А если отнять еще одну?

Почтенный гражданин
    [quote=Angel_of_Death-NZ][quote="bad manners":1ww3a0sr]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Angel_of_Death-NZ":1ww3a0sr
    they look better than other cars. faster too.
    Better and faster than the other American cars? Anyone can do it. That is precisely my point.[/quote:1ww3a0sr]

I mean American cars are faster and look better.[/quote:1ww3a0sr]
    Than what?
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by joysof
    Then you're a mere tool of the bottled water industry, bm - and that's more malign a force than Big Tobacco, if you ask me.
    Sorry, but I do prefer the taste of some particular brands to whatever there is in the tap. For example, the tap water that I currently have has too much iron in it (the soil is rich in it). I do not like the taste of it, and it is especially bad when you use it for tea (which is what I mostly use it for). I presume it is safe to drink, though.
    Jonesboro, Arkansas. Mean, stupid, violent fat people, no jobs, nothing to do, hotter than a dog with 2 d--cks.

Увлечённый спикер
    Quote Originally Posted by bad manners
    What about electricity shutdowns like they have in the States every so often? That better?
    Electricity "shutdowns" happen everywhere, though I think you might be referring to those power outages...?

If you are, you might want to look into the issue a bit more.

There are very few significant "black outs" and "brown outs" in the United States, especially when you start talking about more than just small sections of cities or remote towns -- and even they happen fairly rarely. By "significant", I mean that last more than a few minutes or an hour. Neither power, nor water, get shut off for days or weeks at a time

You might have heard issues about California power shortages, but that issue has been dealt with quite effectively (borrowing power from neighboring states while getting more power plants into California itself.).

The big power outage of the North East last year was largely due to not listening to experts and trying to save money [big corporations and politicians ignoring the engineers... that's a no no!]. Also, I'm pretty sure that power outage started in Canada... but the truth hasn't really become clear. Canadian officials say it started at a power plant on the border between Canada and the U.S. but on the U.S. side, and U.S. officials say that the origin was on the Canadian side. *shrugs*.

To answer your question though...
    Yes occasional accidents occuring the U.S. [like they do every where else] is better than intentional shutting off of the power or hot water in other countries. We're not talking about bare necessities here, but it is certainly much easier for economics to thrive with everything that electricity allows for... plus, hot baths and showers are much more pleasant... but that's an issue of comfort and privilege...
    "Government is a form of organized crime that has succeeded in legalizing itself." - Nicholas Strakon

Почтенный гражданин
    If you care about comfort and privilege even marginally, you can easily buy and install a small electric boiler, they are quite inexpensive these days. It will probably make showering a bit awkward but that is better than nothing. If you care about comfort and privilege in a serious way, you are going to live in a house that has a standalone or stand-by heavy-duty boiler.

But if you don't care about comfort and privilege, you are going to suffer a couple of weeks a year without hot water. In return, you're not going to pay a hundred or two (USD) each month for the luxury of not suffering two weeks a year. And you're not going to pay two more hundreds for heating when it's cold, either.

For those who live on typical Russian wages, the choice is clear. Those who live on typical Russian wages and want standalone hot water and heating should have their heads examined.

JB
    Старший оракул
    We've solved all those "fun" little adventures of daily living in Moscow. We're moving to the States! After searching for a new flat all over Moscow, we decided we can get a lot more for our money in sunny Southern California! I am now in Los Angeles getting things ready for the move.
    As for electricity shut downs, never had one , and if we do get one we don't have to pay for electricity during the shut down. All houses here have BIG boilers as standard equipment and if it breaks I just call the plumber and he fixes it in less than 24 hours. The tap water here is safe, clear, and tastes good. Yes things are more expensive here but the wages are high enough to pay for everything and have $ left over for visits back to Russia.
    I shop at Perekrestock all the time and am always impressed by their high prices and grouchy check out ladies. Yesterday I went to a supermarket here and was in shock after the checkout lady was so nice, polite and helpful.
    Get Russian citizenship? What for? Exactly what great benefits does it offer me?
    Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by JB
    All houses here have BIG boilers
    Mmm, and how many world-class theatres are there in the locale? Priorities, people!
    А если отнять еще одну?

JB
    Старший оракул
    What is your definition of "world class"? If you mean a venue frequented by performers of the highest level (opera, ballet, symphonies) here is just a short list (it would take days for me to list them all).
    Los Angeles Music Center (a 3 theater complex)
    Walt Disney Concert Hall
    Hollywood Bowl
    Greek Theater
    Orange County Center for the Performing Arts
    Pasadena Civic
    These are just a few that are within 10-60 minutes from my home. I only went to the theater once this summer in Moscow because it is so expensive and so difficult to get to the theaters. The tickets here are cheaper, can be bought on line or by phone, and going by car is faster and easier than metro or bus.

Почтенный гражданин
    Orange County Center for the Performing Arts
    Ah, yes! Wasn't that where Lear was first performed?
    А если отнять еще одну?

JB
    Старший оракул
    Not likely, Lear was first performed long before Orange County Performing Arts Center was built. But this season's performers include;
    Bolshoi Ballet
    New York City Ballet
    Eifman Ballet of St. Petersburg
    Dame Kiri Te Kanawa
    Salburg Chamber Soloists
    Paris Piano Trio and Ysaye Quartet (chamber ensembles from France)
    Anne Sofie Von Otter
    To see the whole season just go to the theater's web site.

Почтенный гражданин
    Mmm. Care to fill me in on the Hollywood Bowl's performance repertoire?

Ice Capades, perhaps?
    А если отнять еще одну?

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    I don't see how ones interest in Classics or performing arts and ballet makes them a better person. In the west it just makes them "snooty". Personally I would rather have a barbacue with some good friends than see the Bolshoi Ballet. Is it any different in Russia?
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by joysof
    All houses here have BIG boilers
    Mmm, and how many world-class theatres are there in the locale? Priorities, people!
    Different people, different choice.
    Take good care, j.

Почтенный гражданин
    Oh, quite. Grist to the melting-pot.
    А если отнять еще одну?

JB
    Старший оракул
    DDT, liking ballet is not considered "snooty" by people in Russia or America. If you want other forms of theater or entertainment in either country there is plenty of things to choose from. As for BBQ in Russia we go to the forest or dacha for shashlik (or buy it at Solkoniki Park on Sunday afternoons)and in America (Southern California)we enjoy the BBQ by the pool (no health certificate required) or at the beach.

BJ
    Почётный участник
    I've just had a BBQ in the rain - under an umbrella! Stop fighting guys - there are cultural experiences worth having in both countries.

Увлечённый спикер

yepster

I hate all those performing arts like ballerina's "ice" what have you's, and plays. I'd much rather smoke a bowl and stare at a tree!

Завсегдатай

Re: yepster

Quote Originally Posted by smithnweson
    I hate all those performing arts like ballerina's "ice" what have you's, and plays. I'd much rather smoke a bowl and stare at a tree!
    Ой пришёл крутой ! он курит свой мозг насмерть. Молодец, ты сам показал нам вот, что да, ты и тормоз.

Watch a ballet, watch a tree. At least with the ballet you could learn something.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Увлечённый спикер

sss

learn what from a ballerina...grace!! there is so much to learn from trees, they are the ultimate oganism, you lack a basic understanding of abstraction Dogboy!!!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast