Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What do you think about the EU?

Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    I think you've teased me enough today. I have run out of inspiration to respond. But there has never been a war between the EU countries, so my "propaganda" is true.
    Come on, no more teasing today? Is that for real?
    As for the wars, there are several things here:

1. As long as the economy is tightly integrated, the local economies could not be protected/promoted by the local armies. So, yes, the EU leads to more Europe-wide security.

2. To further extrapolate that logic, as long as the world economy is global and tightly integrated, there would be more global security.

So, what have you said about the evils of the globalization last time?

But there has never been a war between the EU countries, so my "propaganda" is true.
    Well, yes, but European countries have been warring with each other since the time Europe had been populated. They stopped doing so only in 1945 ))) (if we don't count Yugoslavia). Several thousands years of war compared to 65 years of relative peace...
    Send me a PM if you need me.

That would be incredibly cool... but is it really feasible?
    Not right now. As I said it would cost trillions now, but in the near future - maybe.

Hanna
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil View Post
    Well, yes, but European countries have been warring with each other since the time Europe had been populated. They stopped doing so only in 1945 ))) (if we don't count Yugoslavia). Several thousands years of war compared to 65 years of relative peace...
    Yes Mr Cynic This is true, but do you see any wars between the EU countries on the horizon? We will break the 100 year barrier before you know it!

France and the UK just formed a "defense union" which lets both countries cut back national defense expenditure. I think it's a question of time before Germany and Spain joins this.

There's been talk about a joint EU defense since the 1990s but people were not ready for it. I think it will happen. When that's complete, then there definitely won't be any internal wars within the EU.

In my view, Europe has no enemies other than poverty in Africa and wars in the Middle East creating millions of would-be migrants and refugees that we cannot accommodate.

@ Croc: EU is not globalism is regionalism!

Yes Mr Cynic This is true, but do you see any wars between the EU countries on the horizon?
    No, I don't. Equally I do not see any wars between any 'civilized' countries. War IS expensive. If 300 years ago killing an enemy soldier cost about $0.5, 100 years ago it was already about $50 and now it's $50,000 or more. But this doesn't mean anything. The nature of war has changed. Countries try not to make war upon other countries, but individuals continue to do it. That's what terrorism (or extremism) is about. While you cannot defeat any country with military terms alone you can achieve your objectives using other methods which are sometimes as deadly as capet bombing.

EU is not globalism is regionalism!
    Whoa! Look who is using the double standards now!! So, the exact same processes are dubbed "regionalization" to divert the attention away from the evil "globalization" and we're all set!! "Quod licet Jovi non licet bovi."

Завсегдатай
    France and the UK just formed a "defense union"
    Khrrrm. Cough, cough. Am I the only one to see the irony in this?
    If I AM the only one, that's okay. Maybe it is just vodka speaking. Not asking anyone to agree. Or disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by translationsnmru View Post
    Khrrrm. Cough, cough. Am I the only one to see the irony in this?
    If I AM the only one, that's okay. Maybe it is just vodka speaking. Not asking anyone to agree. Or disagree.

Why this irony is so special in comparison to the irony of any other combination?
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Hanna
    There is no external threat to Europe in the conventional way.
    My opinion is that the biggest threat are the problems created by mass-immigration from the Middle East and Africa. I could say a lot of things about this, but will not, because of PC self-censorship. But it was not a wise idea to allow the situation to develop as it has.

Croc: EU is no more "globalisation" than Canada, the USA, the Russian Federation etc! In fact, less so, since the states are still single entities to the outside world. For example, California is much bigger than the average European country.
    Actually I should probably say economic globalisation when I rant, because that's what I disagree with, not cooperation between states with a shared history and culture like Europe.

Interesting comments about the economics of war, by Ramil. If so, there is also a war against those countries that are under economic sanctions, right?

There is no external threat to Europe in the conventional way.
    That is because you don't own or direct a business. The entire EU is under HUGE economical stress from both the US and China. Russia and Ukraine add up with their energy carrier power games. The OPEC acts aggressively as usual while having some kind of internal power and share disputes (Saudi Arabia vs Iran and previously vs Iraq). It's all very confusing and unpredictable. Throw in some internal issues like Greece's influence on the Euro and you'll get some sense.

The biggest threat are the problems created by mass-immigration from the Middle East and Africa. I could say a lot of things about this, but I won't. But it was not a wise idea to allow the situation to develop as it has.
    The original text you had was much more detailed and honest. The new "I could say a lot of things about this, but I won't" seems like a gesture to the political correctness.

EDIT: Wow, you're still working on your post! Sorry about my comment then.

Nevertheless, the mass-immigration issue is hotly debated in any country. To the best of my knowledge, the only sensible solution to that issue is to allow the countries with bad economics to have a better economics. The globalization processes could help. As a country, if you're willing to 'plug into' the global economics and play by its rules, you'd benefit economically. The transparency, accountability and standardization are the keys. It doesn't really matter if a country adapts a monarchy or an anarchy. But many of the cultural values will be lost. So, it's the famous "Lexus and the olive tree" issue.

Croc: EU is no more "globalisation" than Canada, the USA, the Russian Federation etc! In fact, less so, since the states are still single entities to the outside world. For example, California is much bigger than the average European country.
    EU is a very special globalization project in cultural sense. It tries to incorporate very different and powerful national cultures into one state.

Before there were empires, which did the same. But empires tried to do it on the base of the differentiation of functions between cultures. Which implies inequality in many senses. EU tries to do it on the base of economical and lifestyle unification and this is the idea of globalization.

USA is a pure national state while Russia keeps many features of empire.

(offtop: I started to type word "EU" in Russian layout and suddenly... )

Hanna
    suddenly what?

Anyway, what do YOU think about EU membership for Ukraine?
    Are you interested?

@Croc - yeah. It is an unbelievably sensitive topic. I started a long rant about it, but then I changed my mind; it's simply not worth it. You imply that you, maybe like your own culture a tiny bit better than some other culture and voila - you are a racist, on par with the nazis. I can't even begin to tell you. In Scandinavia, the UK and Germany this has gone beyond anything you can imagine.

suddenly what?
    Suddenly I got a vulgar abbreviation. Analog of English "sad trash".

This is not really my opinion...

Anyway, what do YOU think about EU membership for Ukraine?
    Are you interested?
    Sure we are. But EU is not.

Hanna
    There seems to be a lot of double standards from the EU regarding elections in ex-Soviet countries.
    If the EUs (and the US') preferred candidate wins, then it was a fair election, otherwise it was not...
    I am just about to read up about the "Orange Revolution". Don't know anything about it at all, but I plan to visit Ukraine this spring, so I want to know about the recent history.

(Seriously, if Romania can join, so can you.... )
    Somehow I don't think Russia would support the idea too strongly though.
    The reason I asked about it is because I checked the Swedish news and there was an article about a visit by someone called Kostiantyn Hrysjtjenko. He says "Without Ukraine, the EU is never complete".

I don't think the problem is in "fair election". EU can not digest more lands and people, at least for now. There are economical and organizational reasons, migration etc.

Ukraine will hardly join NATO but if EU is ready to accept us... Just whistle. No essential opposition to this idea will arise.

"Orange revolution" is a complicated matter as well as all Ukrainian internal affairs, but up to now the situation is bad. Not as bad as in 90s, of course, but still. Economy and life level are going down, people are sick of politics and don't believe any political power.

Hanna
    If I start a thread about the Orange revolution, will you answer my (stupid) questions in an objective manner?

If I start a thread about the Orange revolution, will you answer my (stupid) questions in an objective manner?
    I'll try to. Though my answers will be stupid as well, because that is the doom of any political discussion.

Увлечённый спикер
    EU? It is just great, isn't it? I wonder if Germans will enjoy bailing out countries like Greece, Portugal, Italy, Ireland, probably, and many more countries. I think Germans are also happy that the Government keeps printing money to pay them when their employer would have laid them off.

It must be nice to print money whenever you want. I guess the Euro currency is magic and nothing will happen to it - no chance of it losing value or anything like that, no.

I think many Germans must drink Beck or something because they don't seem to mind what consecutive Governments do and keep voting in these parties. Silly citizens.

EU or Euro towards one global currency, perhaps? I think elites benefit and if the entire thing collapses, these politicians and elites will be fine because they'll have a considerable savings to leave whatever country and go to where it's safe and lounge around in leather sofas while singing in their BMWs. I find it fascinating how people tolerate these politicians and believe their every word. They sure have a lot of optimism. I wonder if they like being brainwashed.

I hope my opinion isn't too harsh.... I think I speak the truth, though. Time will tell and history will illustrate how accurate this is.

Hanna
    There is more substance to the Euro than the dollar. Printing money with nothing to back it is much more of an American than European practice.

Germany is the biggest supporter of the EU because it is the only way that Germany can grow and become strong without people flipping out (since the two world wars are still at the back of public consciousness in Europe). It's worth it for them.

I don't think the Euro will collapse... having the Euro is the only way for the Europeans to have a currency to match the dollar in importance.

I feel very ambivalent about the EU. On the one hand I think we need it. On the other hand I am well aware that it is rather un-democratic, overly bureaucratic and inefficient. It could become truly terrible if things got out of control. And yes, it's very much about taking from the richer countries and giving to the poorer, but there is a certain amount of financial logic to it. It's not purely charity... It also allows European companies to have duty free cheap production in those countries that have the lowest salaries.

The EU is mostly run by the European Comission which is a meritocracy. You get a job there by taking an entrance exam and assuming you pass, using connections and every trick you can think of to get a job in one of the directorates Then you work your way up and some people become comissioners who set the policies for the EU. I was actually planning to work there until I started working in IT instead. Now I am not interested anymore.

Увлечённый спикер
    I disagree. I think the problem is much worse than you describe. When the potential is great of various EU countries collapsing with some already that have or about to, you have a problem. Do you think things will be so rosy in Germany that they will vote to bail them out? What will happen to the Euro after this? What if citizens refuse and want to return to the Mark?

I really think you underestimate the problem.

Also, those elites already wish for a Global Currency so the problems are convenient for them.

Maybe you and others have not had a deep investigation into it or don't want such negative outlook.

I think some people like Nigel Farage gives some real info but since the problem is in infancy stages, no one will off him quite yet.

I think the Baltic countries and others near Russia will wish they avoided the Euro eventually.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12