Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ukraine Elections 2010 + various political off-topics

Re: Ukraine Elections 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Having said that, I'm somewhat curious about that notorious "individualistic" European culture. I'd like to dispute that. It's true that the language is full of I's and the sayings such as "think for yourself", "you want the best for yourself", and so on. However, all I can hear around is the choir singing slogans praising "team work", "approach as a team", "solve as a team", "give back to the community", etc. The Team seems to be a holy cow. If you're not a "team-payer" you won't get a job.
    But they remain just that - slogans. Nobody really cares if your teammate suddenly gets fired.
    Neither would Russians.

The fact that Europeans typically are more reserved and less outward emotional is only a bit wider gap of the same type that St.Peterers and Moscovites exhibit. I fail to notice the "bottomless abyss that divide our cultures". Location-wise Russia is between Europe and Asia and as such has adopted some of each culture. However, the "managing top" has been pan European for a couple of recent centuries, and so, as starrysky has mentioned, the European culture (especially French and German) was considered the high-class/educated.

Having said that, not all Europeans were high-class/educated themselves. The word "villain" means "villager" in French.

Quote Originally Posted by Crocodile
    But they remain just that - slogans. Nobody really cares if your teammate suddenly gets fired.
    Neither would Russians.
    Agreed. But you were pointing out that Europeans are not so individualistic as it might appear.

I fail to notice the "bottomless abyss that divide our cultures".
    Yes, because you have Russian background. But imagine you were a rural Portugese guy. What would you know of Russia and its culture?
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Agreed. But you were pointing out that Europeans are not so individualistic as it might appear.
    Exactly. So, the "fired team mate" example wasn't able to demonstrate that Russians are less individualistic for that matter.

I fail to notice the "bottomless abyss that divide our cultures".
    Yes, because you have Russian background. But imagine you were a rural Portugese guy. What would you know of Russia and its culture?
    Being a rural Portuguese guy I would probably not know much about the high-class Russian culture as much as a rural Russian guy would not know a lot about Portuguese high-class culture.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by Johanna
    It's interesting to see how harshly many of you judge your own country/people.
    Johanna, I think it would be an important and interesting point for you if I say that we, or at least one of us who speak so "harshly" about our country - I mean myself - don't actually find that view a harsh one, and don't see anything that terrible in all I've described. To me, personally, an undisciplined person are nicer than a disciplined one. I can't explain it. Probably because I myself can't be disciplined by anybody else; although it can be and is unreasonable, sometimes. Probably because my own idea about freedom is turbulent. Also, I prefer someone not to smile to me just because it's supposed to smile. I don't need exorbitant courtesy from a clerk or a salesperson; just a neutral tone and minimal politeness (like "hello", "thank you" and "good bye") is quite enough for me. I wouldn't like everyone around me to smile and to be extra-nice; it looks like idiocy. I prefer to think that a rude shop assistant has a kind heart somewhere deeply inside, and I believe in many cases that's how it really is. I could say more, but it would sound very stilted and stupid.

Am I right to think that most people in Russia aren't terribly interested in a Western style democracy...?
    I'd say definitely yes.
    In fact, democracy is a slogan. Like "Да здравствует Ленин" or "Слава КПСС". Been there, done that. It's no longer interesting. For western people, slogan games are something of a novelty. Let them play with slogans and democracy then. But we have something more serious to do.
    To me, personally, a true valuable slogan could be love, kindness, friendship, fidelity, and so on, and so on. What is called "вечные ценности". And I am really amazed how western people can change these valuables (which are not invented and discovered just yesterday) for that stupid word, "democracy".
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    For western people, slogan games are something of a novelty.
    And may I ask for the source, please?

Exactly. So, the "fired team mate" example wasn't able to demonstrate that Russians are less individualistic for that matter.
    I didn't indend to illustrate this point, I simply was objecting using 'slogans' for illustrating the collectivism of Europeans.

[quote:1k1vif6a]I fail to notice the "bottomless abyss that divide our cultures".
    Being a rural Portuguese guy I would probably not know much about the high-class Russian culture as much as a rural Russian guy would not know a lot about Portuguese high-class culture.[/quote:1k1vif6a]

Come on, don't say you didn't hear all those stereotypes that surround Russia and the Russians in the minds of Europeans (or Americans)? Bears, vodka, balalayka, that sort of cr@p.

Завсегдатай

Я не очень поняла твой вопрос. Я имела в виду лозунги. Типа "Слава советскому народу" и "Да здравствует КПСС" на каждом доме. Типа "догоним и перегоним", "даешь пятилетку" и т.д. На Западе вроде ни под одним лозунгом не жили 70 лет.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

I didn't indend to illustrate this point, I simply was objecting using 'slogans' for illustrating the collectivism of Europeans.
    I can share your point of view. I used the certain "collective" slogans to balance the other "individualistic" slogans as they are usually referred to as a proof of the individualistic nature of Europeans. Rarely are there other proofs provided.

Come on, don't say you didn't hear all those stereotypes that surround Russia and the Russians in the minds of Europeans (or Americans)? Bears, vodka, balalayka, that sort of cr@p.
    That crap is well-known. As much as the other sort of crap like cowboys, whisky, and banjo. Crap, in general, doesn't prove anything. Judging by crap, the "bottomless abyss that divide our cultures" is defined as follows:

vodka = whisky
    bears = cows
    balalayka = banjo

[quote=Оля]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Оля":gxhop5rc
    Я не очень поняла твой вопрос. Я имела в виду лозунги. Типа "Слава советскому народу" и "Да здравствует КПСС" на каждом доме. Типа "догоним и перегоним", "даешь пятилетку" и т.д. На Западе вроде ни под одним лозунгом не жили 70 лет.[/quote:gxhop5rc]
    Ну здрасти! А чем, по твоему, дядя Сэм убеждал сам себя в своей правоте в период холодной войны? Всё той же демократией, свободой, и т.д. Нет ничего нового под солнцем. Лозунги - они лозунги и есть. И в современной России они просто другие. "Не ляжем под Америку!", "У нас свой, особенный путь!", и т.д.

vodka = whisky
    bears = cows
    balalayka = banjo
    Abyss indeed!

So you don't agree that Europeans are more individualistic than the Russians in general?

So you don't agree that Europeans are more individualistic than the Russians in general?
    Here's the thing. Before I agree or disagree, I would like you to somehow quantify the "more" in the "more individualistic". And the quantification is relative, as you know. So, what is your scale? I strongly disagree about the "abyss" though.

As a side word to you, Ramil, I know you're leaning towards the "cryptocracy", so ask yourself, who would benefit from the aforementioned "abyss"? I mean, let's get real here. You know some of European culture, and Europeans know some of yours. Would you know Japanese culture better than European? What culture more influenced you personally European or Japanese? What name rings the bells better for you: Walter Scott or Chikamatsu Monzaemon?

Завсегдатай

Ну здрасти! А чем, по твоему, дядя Сэм убеждал сам себя в своей правоте в период холодной войны? Всё той же демократией, свободой, и т.д. Нет ничего нового под солнцем. Лозунги - они лозунги и есть. И в современной России они просто другие. "Не ляжем под Америку!", "У нас свой, особенный путь!", и т.д.
    Я не согласна, что в современной России есть лозунги. Люди больше заняты собой, своей частной жизнью. Даже то, что ты назвал - если и есть, то не в форме лозунгов. На западе же демократия - это именно лозунг, красная тряпка, библия, святая святых. У нас сейчас ничего такого нет.

Я не согласна, что в современной России есть лозунги. Люди больше заняты собой, своей частной жизнью. Даже то, что ты назвал - если и есть, то не в форме лозунгов. На западе же демократия - это именно лозунг, красная тряпка, библия, святая святых. У нас сейчас ничего такого нет.
    Ну, вот видишь, у нас с тобой есть разногласие на эту тему. Я как включаю русское телевидение, то только и слышу, что про "особый путь" и про "соблюдение национальных интересов". А если на Западе остановить человека и спросить про жизнь, то он тоже ничего про демократию и свободу рассказывать не станет. Больше про что купил и где отдыхал.

И, мне кажется, даже пингвин в Антарктиде.
    Whoa! Are you into the Antarctic penguins too?

Quote Originally Posted by starrysky
    And it's very interesting indeed, about the language. How are you supposed to adequately translate "наши" into English? As in ecstatic exclamations, like "Наши победили!" or something of that sort? Part of meaning will be lost...
    "Yes we can?"

Завсегдатай

Я как включаю русское телевидение, то только и слышу, что про "особый путь" и про "соблюдение национальных интересов".
    "Соблюдение национальных интересов" - это клише и стандартное политическое бла-бла-бла любого правительства любой страны. Что касается "особого пути" - ну а что в этом нового? Это вообще банальность. Про особый путь России в России говорят не первое столетие. Не знаю, кто начал. Может, Достоевский. И что в этом плохого, кстати? И повторяю, никто это не воспринимает здесь как лозунг. Лично для меня это скорее прописная истина. (в этом есть доля шутки, но поверь, даже если бы это было 100% серьезно, то "вдолблено" мне это никак не телевидением, а скорее, тем же Достоевским).

Я как включаю русское телевидение, то только и слышу, что про "особый путь" и про "соблюдение национальных интересов". А если на Западе остановить человека и спросить про жизнь, то он тоже ничего про демократию и свободу рассказывать не станет. Больше про что купил и где отдыхал.
    Наверное, сейчас новости по общефедеральным каналам смотрят только бабушки в деревнях и иностранцы (включая эмигрантов). НИКТО из моих знакомых, с кем я общался на эту нему, не смотрит эту хрень, разве что иногда, ради прикола, что там, мол, ещё весёлого порасскажут. Ой, я забыл ещё мемберов ЕдРа . Это новости о них, для них и ради них, и только.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

"Соблюдение национальных интересов" - это клише и стандартное политическое бла-бла-бла любого правительства любой страны. Что касается "особого пути" - ну а что в этом нового? Это вообще банальность. Про особый путь России в России говорят не первое столетие. Не знаю, кто начал. Может, Достоевский. И что в этом плохого, кстати? И повторяю, никто это не воспринимает здесь как лозунг. Лично для меня это скорее прописная истина. (в этом есть доля шутки, но поверь, даже если бы это было 100% серьезно, то "вдолблено" мне это никак не телевидением, а скорее, тем же Достоевским).
    Что-то мы всё по-русски, да по-русски.. вроде как англицкий практикуем. Ну да ладно.

Первым делом про особый путь. Разумеется не правительство изобрело этот термин. Но во времена оные, если мне не изменяет память, это имело контекст культурной конфронтации между славянофильством и западничеством. (Знаменитые "мокроступы" и т.п.) В наши дни этот термин стал употребляться в политической жизни совершенно в другом контексте. А именно - смена курса правительства времён Ельцина на Путина. Типа: "Ну делали мы как на Западе, и ничего хорошего не получилось. Наоборот, всё разворовали и утащили на Запад. Значит теперь надо заниматься укреплением вертикали власти. И что, это наступает на какие-то там свободы? Увы и ах! У России особый путь (=самый крутой в мире), ихние свободы - не для нас."

Простой подменой понятий из давнишней культурной дискуссии сформировался лозунг, имеющий вполне конкретные политические последствия.

Немного другая ситуация про "национальные интересы", но превращение в лозунг очевидно. Ты права в том смысле, что это - общий термин для чего угодно. Но в современном политическом контексте в России это означает примерно то же самое, что и "защита демократии" для США.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    Я как включаю русское телевидение, то только и слышу, что про "особый путь" и про "соблюдение национальных интересов". А если на Западе остановить человека и спросить про жизнь, то он тоже ничего про демократию и свободу рассказывать не станет. Больше про что купил и где отдыхал.
    Наверное, сейчас новости по общефедеральным каналам смотрят только бабушки в деревнях и иностранцы (включая эмигрантов). НИКТО из моих знакомых, с кем я общался на эту нему, не смотрит эту хрень, разве что иногда, ради прикола, что там, мол, ещё весёлого порасскажут. Ой, я забыл ещё мемберов ЕдРа . Это новости о них, для них и ради них, и только.
    Тут я с тобой полностью согласен. Самое наипрекраснейшее место для хорового распевания политических лозунгов.

Here's the thing. Before I agree or disagree, I would like you to somehow quantify the "more" in the "more individualistic". And the quantification is relative, as you know. So, what is your scale?
    Well, let's see, who would you think will sooner understand the motives of a man, a person who lives nearby or a person from another continent?

I strongly disagree about the "abyss" though.
    You're not in a position to speak here, by the way. You're not from Western Europe, aren't you?

As a side word to you, Ramil, I know you're leaning towards the "cryptocracy", so ask yourself, who would benefit from the aforementioned "abyss"?
    I had to google about cryptocracy.
    We're not discussing whether it goo or bad. In the eyes of many (not all) Europeans we're just that - wild, savage and barbaric Russians with probable relation to the Mongols.
    Of course, the better educated person is the more he or she knows and the less that abyss I was speaking of. But FYI there is only about 1% of people in the world who has higher education.

And regardless of me being unfamiliar to my shame with Asian culture to the extent I'm familiar with the European one I still think that Russia is neither European nor Asian country.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast