Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 30 of 30
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Russian Media: Do Russians trust them - why/why not?

  1. #21
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    423
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    I think that British media is a little bit better than Russian media. All British mainstream media have more or less the same view albeit with variation about their views on the EU and immigration.
    I think more or less the same view is a problem of all British media on all topics. It seems that the same view could be due to lack of actual journalism or because that "opinion" is not really an opinion but a government-controlled narrative. I've been reading British press for several years now, mostly Russia-related topics and what I see is kinda disgusting: any(or most) of positive things about Russia are not delivered to the media readers like they don't even exist and any negative things are always delivered and often exaggerated.
    If I would read English-version of RT I would find positive and negative things about Russia but if you'd mention RT anywhere on British media you gonna get labeled as a Putinbot right away(BTW comments moderators on British media are very biased too).

    When I read about Syria it's even funnier - many "facts" reported by British media are taken from "Syrian Observatory for Human Rights" which is a British-based agency with very questionable credibility(I suspect that all information comes from the facebook or twitter), while Russia has at least seven news agencies in Syria at the moment. But Russian media would be immediately claimed as "propaganda" by British MSM, unless the information could be used to support "evil Russians and bad Putin" narrative.

  2. #22
    Hanna
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hddscan View Post
    I think more or less the same view is a problem of all British media on all topics. It seems that the same view could be due to lack of actual journalism or because that "opinion" is not really an opinion but a government-controlled narrative. I've been reading British press for several years now, mostly Russia-related topics and what I see is kinda disgusting: any(or most) of positive things about Russia are not delivered to the media readers like they don't even exist and any negative things are always delivered and often exaggerated.
    If I would read English-version of RT I would find positive and negative things about Russia but if you'd mention RT anywhere on British media you gonna get labeled as a Putinbot right away(BTW comments moderators on British media are very biased too).
    Yes - On the topic of Russia, all British paper have the same view. Where they differ is mainly on the EU, immigration and family values.

    —The conservative papers don't like Russia because the USA says so, and because "Russia is a threat to national security" etc.
    —The more liberal papers don't like Russia because "Putin is anti-gay", "there are human rights abuses in Russia" etc.

    (and there is a certain overlap...)
    They will never, ever publish any "normal" news about Russia, unless possibly if there has been an accident. But even then, they'll try to sneak in some negative accusation if they can.

    It must be very frustrating to read untrue information about your own country like that. As for commenting in British paper - yes, they would think you were a "paid Putin troll" if you defended Russia.
    So you can't win. If you defend it, you are a Putin troll, and it's part of a Russian propaganda offensive.
    If you don't defend it, they will get away with the lies.

    But RT is getting more viewers across Europe all the time. I've noticed Sputnik News is referenced a lot by alternative media in Sweden.
    If people notice that what they are saying is more in tune with reality on certain issues - it doesn't matter where the info comes from.

    I wanted to post a video of that funny RT clip which they run quite often that says "Turn off your TV, this is Russian propaganda", and with quotes from John Kerry and Hillary Clinton. But I can't find it.

  3. #23
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Posts
    423
    Rep Power
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Yes - On the topic of Russia, all British paper have the same view. Where they differ is mainly on the EU, immigration and family values.
    ...
    They will never, ever publish any "normal" news about Russia, unless possibly if there has been an accident. But even then, they'll try to sneak in some negative accusation if they can.
    And the big question is: if you know that British media have no problem publishing biased information and withholding facts about Russia, how could you trust them about any other topic? How could you know they deliver real facts and all the facts?
    Going back to what you said: "I think that British media is a little bit better than Russian media.", don't you think this statement is a personal belief which was formed by the media overtime, constantly saying that Russian media is "propaganda" and British media is not, while in reality it is clear that British media does not hesitate to bend the facts to support a certain narrative?

    What I found - there is no way one can find a truthful source of information anywhere in the world, sometimes because such sources withhold some information, sometimes because they lie and sometimes because they publish some information that they believe to be truthful but in reality it was fabricated and planted by somebody else. Some sources try to be objective more than other but not all the time.
    Alex80 likes this.

  4. #24
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Russia, Siberia
    Posts
    652
    Rep Power
    16
    Media are also biased by the fact that they are economic agents, who earn money.
    So, their content tends to be some "hot/extreme" things. Conflicts, problems, deaths, etc. They need attention, they get it.
    It is understandable, but it can lead to the feeling that all world around consists from conflicts, problems and deaths only. And Kardashian's ass.
    There is no true depiction of life in media by nature.

  5. #25
    Властелин maxmixiv's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Omsk, Russia
    Posts
    1,485
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Y

    Prokhorov is an oligarch! How can anybody trust an oligarch?!
    According to Wiki, he got 7.5 percent of votes, coming in third in presidential elections in 2012.
    Even worse, he promised Yo-mobile
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yo-Mobile
    but did not manage. Still, he can speak right things with a great confidence.
    And being compared to Zuganov, I'd say he has all chances.
    Hanna likes this.
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

  6. #26
    Hanna
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by hddscan View Post
    And the big question is: if you know that British media have no problem publishing biased information and withholding facts about Russia, how could you trust them about any other topic? How could you know they deliver real facts and all the facts?
    That's exactly the problem! When it comes to areas of the world that I know very little about - I am completely at their mercy. If they talk about something that happens in Bangladesh, Somalia, Bolivia or Yemen - I simply can't say what the truthfulness is. I can't call a friend, I haven't been there and I don't have time to do research....

    And that's the same problem most Europeans (and Americans) would have with news from Russia, Ukraine, Belarus.

    Quote Originally Posted by hddscan View Post
    Going back to what you said: "I think that British media is a little bit better than Russian media.", don't you think this statement is a personal belief
    The only reason I said that is for 1 simple reason:
    Snowden's material could be published in the Guardian without any major consequences for the publisher. If there was a Russian Snowden, could Izvestiya or Novaya Gazeta publish the material?
    My impression is that they couldn't. But I am not sure, just guessing!

    Between RT and BBC for world news - my preference is actually for RT, at the moment. I think their credibility is higher in most areas, although I am aware that there is an agenda to some of their choices of what to report and what not to.

    Quote Originally Posted by hddscan View Post
    What I found - there is no way one can find a truthful source of information anywhere in the world, sometimes because such sources withhold some information, sometimes because they lie and sometimes because they publish some information that they believe to be truthful but in reality it was fabricated and planted by somebody else. Some sources try to be objective more than other but not all the time.
    I agree. And it's got even worse now, with social media where anyone can start a rumour.

    My approach to the news has always been to try to consider both sides of the story. I think journalists should too.
    Right now, to get the other side of the story about Syria, Ukraine, the USA's wars, immigration and economics, it's necessary to turn to non-Western media.

    And even if there is no such thing as the absolute truth or completely objective media, it's still the case that some reports are closer to the truth than others.

    China's propaganda film "5 year plan is cool"


    Imagine if Russia had made the same video to say "Putin's strategy is cool". Although China is much worse than Russia on everything the West claims to care about, there is still no info war against China!

    In my opinion: The country that will take down the USA will not be Russia, but China. Using America's love for money and consumption against itself. That's who the Americans should worry about - not Russia.

  7. #27
    Hanna
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex80 View Post
    Media are also biased by the fact that they are economic agents, who earn money.
    So, their content tends to be some "hot/extreme" things. Conflicts, problems, deaths, etc. They need attention, they get it.
    It is understandable, but it can lead to the feeling that all world around consists from conflicts, problems and deaths only. And Kardashian's ass.
    There is no true depiction of life in media by nature.
    Agree: The best press would exist somewhere where the government funds it, but lets it write exactly what it wants. Apparently that was happening for a while in Russia during early 1990s. But such a situation can't last...

  8. #28
    Завсегдатай Basil77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moscow reg.
    Posts
    2,549
    Rep Power
    15
    I don't completely trust any media, but I think that Russian goverment media are much more objective when describing situation in Russia and Russia-related international affairs than Western media. Goverment media cetranly have their agenda but they at least rarely report total fakes and check their sources unlike "liberal" media. there is an information war ongoing currently and so-called Russian "liberal" media like "Novaya Gazeta", "Kommersant", RBK, Echo Moskvy etc are just enemy agents of influence and can't be trusted at all, especially "Novaya Gazeta" and "Echo Moskvy" who turned almost completely into "hate speech" mode. Here is an example how a "liberal" journalist deals with different opinion (it's Ukrainian radio but the guy is quite famous Moscow journalist):

    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

  9. #29
    Hanna
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Basil77 View Post
    I don't completely trust any media, but I think that Russian goverment media are much more objective when describing situation in Russia and Russia-related international affairs than Western media. Goverment media cetranly have their agenda but they at least rarely report total fakes and check their sources unlike "liberal" media. there is an information war ongoing currently and so-called Russian "liberal" media like "Novaya Gazeta", "Kommersant", RBK, Echo Moskvy etc are just enemy agents of influence and can't be trusted at all, especially "Novaya Gazeta" and "Echo Moskvy" who turned almost completely into "hate speech" mode. Here is an example how a "liberal" journalist deals with different opinion (it's Ukrainian radio but the guy is quite famous Moscow journalist):
    Hey!! Good to see you too. Try to understand Lampada. I think it got very personal for her, and she was also worried that there were too many very patriotic Russians, arguing very passionately. From my standpoint: I already knew the Ukraine perspective, since that's also the Western perspective, so I wanted to hear the Russian perspective, from Russian. But from Lampada's perspective it all got too much. We are all just humans... I eventually reached a different perspective but I respect hers nevertheless. Got a bit irritated though, same as you, and took a break. Now a have a few days on my hands and couldn't stop myself from starting a few rants here! Ought to visit for the language studies though, not to write on politics.

    Anyway: Nice to hear your perspective. I think you are the voice of conservative/patriotic Russians here at the moment. I can absolutely sympathise with your standpoint. I think I would feel the same, if I was Russian.

    And I don't think it's true to say that "all Russian media is under the control of Putin" when there is media like this, and like Novaya Gazeta... Saying that, is part of a propaganda narrative to black-paint Russia.

    Western media would have us believe that Russia today is like the USSR in the 1970s in terms of information - complete nonsense. I see more free and independent thinking among Russians than among most Brits I know.

    Plus - when Russian media disses another country/region - they do it based mainly on FACTS.
    Whereas Western media make up something that's not true, and repeat it until it becomes "truth". I.e. "gays are persecuted in Russia", "Putin kills journalists" etc.

    There is 0.01% truth in it, but they create a whole new narrative based on their agenda.
    Finally- even if therethere are/were problems with freedom of expression in Russia, so what?!
    It seems to have been helpful for China to keep things wrapped up a bit - things could easily disintegrate into chaos there, which wouldn't help anyone.
    And look at our ally Saudi Arabia, among others. Compared with them, Russia is a haven of political openness ...
    But as it is, I think Russian media is free to expose pollution, corruption and scandals?!
    Or if not, what are the big scandals that are covered up...?

    As for RT: It's pretty clear from the "Newsteam" docu-soap about their reporters, that their international reporters are 100% genuine and committed - and definitely not any cynical propagandists.

  10. #30
    Завсегдатай Basil77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Moscow reg.
    Posts
    2,549
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanna View Post
    Anyway: Nice to hear your perspective. I think you are the voice of conservative/patriotic Russians here at the moment. I can absolutely sympathise with your standpoint. I think I would feel the same, if I was Russian.
    Thanks. Actually, before this Ukrainian crisis I was quite anti-Putin and anti-government and I still strongly oppose the current economic policy of our government. But I rather agree with current foreign policy of Russia. Also there are quite a few improvements in everyday life that happened here during the last years despite economic crisis caused by low oil prices mostly and by western sanctions (at much less extent).
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: March 27th, 2012, 04:04 PM
  2. Geogian mass media fakes Russian invasion
    By sperk in forum Politics
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: April 18th, 2010, 05:24 PM
  3. Learning Russian for its literature/media
    By tanuki in forum Getting Started with Russian
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: November 9th, 2009, 07:56 PM
  4. free russian movies, series and other media online
    By Lt. Columbo in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: July 29th, 2008, 05:26 PM
  5. Would you tell me Russian media
    By Hyoga in forum Culture and History
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: May 30th, 2007, 02:00 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary