Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Another one bites the dust...

Quote Originally Posted by scotcher
    In politics, the question whether to call someone a whore or a paid professional is a matter of semantics or personal allegiance.
    My own personal morality tells me that when a journalist is consistently and knowingly dishonest, and goes from placing a certain ideological slant on a story to constructing entire polemics around pure, self-conscious, custom-built falsehoods, then they have crossed the line between paid proffessional and whore.
    I can only wonder, how the person with such a strong moral principles can read "normal" mainstream Western press (or watch TV reports and so on). Because "open dishonesty", "ideological slants", "custom-builts falsehoods", etc, etc -- everything is much easier to find there.
    Кр. -- сестр. тал.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio

I can only wonder, how the person with such a strong moral principles can read "normal" mainstream Western press (or watch TV reports and so on). Because "open dishonesty", "ideological slants", "custom-builts falsehoods", etc, etc -- everything is much easier to find there.
    Haha, now who is upset?

Your real name is John Laughland and I claim my

Властелин
    What I'm going to ask now has nothing to do with the killing of the journalist but anyway, it's connected to the name of this thread. Can someone explain to me what Queen meant by "Another One Bites The Dust"? The literal translation doesn't work here at all. The thing is I recall seeing some sort of discussion of the name of the song but no one seemed to draw to any logical conclusion at the time. Maybe, those guys were not English speakers and couldn't fathom the hidden meaning if there's such a meaning in the name. The lyrics don't help much either.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Властелин
    "To bite the dust" means to fall to ground prone, either wounded or dead. Queen certainly didn't coin the phrase.

[edit]
    lookee here
    [/edit]

Властелин
    Thanks a lot for clarifying this to me! The problem was that I was simply lazy to look the phrase up in my English dicitionary.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

He is one more:

Journalist Plummets to His Death
    By Natalya Krainova / Staff Writer
    A Kommersant journalist who covered military affairs and had more than once angered government officials fell to his death Friday from a fifth-floor window of the apartment building where he lived.
    http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2 ... 5/002.html
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Hmmm......I would have thought that if he wanted to kill himself that he would have jumped from a higher building. I don't think that 4 floors is all that high and there is no guarantee that he would not have survived as a quadriplegic or something.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Quote Originally Posted by DDT
    Hmmm......I would have thought that if he wanted to kill himself that he would have jumped from a higher building. I don't think that 4 floors is all that high and there is no guarantee that he would not have survived as a quadriplegic or something.
    +1
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Funny how Russia has the highest death rate for journalists... I think the only country with a higher death rate is Iraq...

ещё интереснее, что ничего не пишутся в Известиях про него. Только "выпал из окно". точка...
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    Funny how Russia has the highest death rate for journalists... I think the only country with a higher death rate is Iraq...

ещё интереснее, что ничего не пишется в Известиях про него. Только "выпал из окна". точка...
    By the way, does anyone carry out any kind of statistical research of a death rate for journalists, embassy workers etc anywhere in the world? It'd be interesting enough to learn how many journalists have died while on assignment in foreign countries in the last, say, 10 years.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous

ещё интереснее, что ничего не пишется в Известиях про него. Только "выпал из окна". точка...
    By the way, does anyone carry out any kind of statistical research of a death rate for journalists, embassy workers etc anywhere in the world? It'd be interesting enough to learn how many journalists have died while on assignment in foreign countries in the last, say, 10 years.
    I am pretty sure that Russian KGB or whatever they call it nowadays, keeps track of that.
    Well, I don't know what to say. I want to say thanks to the Academy, to Mama, to Papa and to my dog. I love you all.

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by charlestonian

I am pretty sure that Russian KGB or whatever they call it nowadays, keeps track of that.
    Sadly, we can't access their reports unless one of the forum members is Russia's intelligence operative.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

I am sure I have seen it somewhere... wait! Found it! Check this link from the Committee to Protect Journalists

http://www.cpj.org/killed/killed_archives/stats.html

I was mistaken, Russia is third after the likes of Iraq and Algeria! Of course this is from 1992 to today. Last year "only" two journalists got murdered.

1. Iraq: 93
    2. Algeria: 60
    3. Russia: 44
    4. Colombia: 39
    5. Philippines: 32
    6. India: 22
    7. Bosnia: 19
    8. Turkey: 18

Властелин
    [quote=kalinka_vinnie][quote=ReDSanchous][quote="kalinka_vinnie":3n66sv95]Funny how Russia has the highest death rate for journalists... I think the only country with a higher death rate is Iraq...

ещё интереснее, что ничего не пиш[color=red]е[/color]тся в Известиях про него. Только "выпал из окн[color=red]а[/color]". точка...[/quote]
    By the way, does anyone carry out any kind of statistical research of a death rate for journalists, embassy workers etc anywhere in the world? It'd be interesting enough to learn how many journalists have died while on assignment in foreign countries in the last, say, 10 years.[/quote]

I am sure I have seen it somewhere... wait! Found it! Check this link from the Committee to Protect Journalists

[url="http://www.cpj.org/killed/killed_archives/stats.html"]http://www.cpj.org/killed/killed_archives/stats.html[/url]

I was mistaken, Russia is third after the likes of Iraq and Algeria! Of course this is from 1992 to today. Last year "only" two journalists got murdered.

8. Turkey: 18[/quote:3n66sv95]
    Well, at least, the gap between the 1st place and the place Russia takes is big enough not to go to the stake over this.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

DDT
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm in St Petersburg Russia
    Firstly, I wonder where the USA is on this list and also do you think that it has anything to do with journalists in Russia refusing to use "Ё" ?
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

Firstly, I wonder where the USA is on this list and also do you think that it has anything to do with journalists in Russia refusing to use "Ё" ?
    All journalists refusing to use "Ё" are routinely murdered by orders from FSB.
    USA has classified all information about it
    Send me a PM if you need me.

8. Turkey: 18
    Well, at least, the gap between the 1st place and the place Russia takes is big enough not to go to the stake over this.[/quote]
    Yep, but remember that Iraq is in a state of war and 32 journalists were killed last year alone...

Властелин
    I think it's got so much to do with the refusal to use "ё". I haven't yet collected sufficient information about this, so I can't give you any proof of what I've just said.

Yep, but remember that Iraq is in a state of war and 32 journalists were killed last year alone...
    I do remember this. Even if Irag was not at war with America (though I think it should be vice versa, i.d. America is at war with Iraq), Russia would still compare very unfavourably on this list. It's real hard for me to imagine that Russia can be so close to a country like Columbia when it comes to murder rates.
    Mark Twain
    WHSmith

I do remember this. Even if Irag was not at war with America (though I think it should be vice versa, i.d. America is at war with Iraq), Russia would still compare very unfavourably on this list. It's real hard for me to imagine that Russia can be so close to a country like Columbia when it comes to murder rates.
    How much people are in Columbia, and how much -- in Russia?
    If we are really talking about murder rates -- this means, what actual murder rate in Russia is much lower.
    Кр. -- сестр. тал.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpio
    If we are really talking about murder rates -- this means, what actual murder rate in Russia is much lower.

I don't know, never bought them

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast