Thread: Власти в Грузии взорвали Мемориал Славы

Почтенный гражданин Martin Miles's Avatar

Власти в Грузии взорвали Мемориал Славы

http://www.izvestia.ru/georgia1/article3136767/
    Что - это, варварство или национализм?
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Пожалуйста, кто-то скажи мне, есть ли ошибки где-то.

Завсегдатай

Re: Власти в Грузии взорвут Мемориал Славы

Власти в Грузии взорвали Мемориал Славы
    Martin Miles, ты сам-то как думаешь?
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Re: Власти в Грузии взорвали Мемориал Славы

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Miles
    It's a democracy in all it's glory! According to Bush, Georgia is the most free and democratic state at the
    post-Soviet space.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Martin Miles, ты сам-то как думаешь?
    Знаю наверно, как "Известия" думает. To me it seems like a strange thing to do, but at the same time I draw a comparison with a practice that sometimes was seen in Ancient Egypt where a new pharoah would try to obliterate the memory of the old one by defacing monuments on which the name of the former ruler appeared. It's not the same as destroying a memorial completely but I see a parallel where the motivation for the action is concerned. A few years ago something similar happened in one of the Baltic Republics, Estonia, I think. However you look at it, it shows there is strong feeling in Georgia against Russia and that's hardly surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by Basil77
    According to Bush, Georgia is the most free and democratic country at the
    post-Soviet space.
    That should be: in the post-Soviet space, but better would be: the most free and democratic of the post-Soviet countries.
    Девушка - лoвушка.

Завсегдатай

it shows there is strong feeling in Georgia against Russia and that's hardly surprising.
    Not in Georgia. In Saakashvili's head. Georgian veterans and regular Georgian people are indignant.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

All over the former Soviet empire, including Germany and the Ukraine, similar things have happened. Here is one of the latest examples:
    http://www.rferl.org/content/Protest...h/1888685.html
    Девушка - лoвушка.

All over the former Soviet empire, including Germany and the Ukraine, similar things have happened. Here is one of the latest examples:...
    Yes, but this is the first time I'v heard that innocent people were killed during demolishing. The act of demolishing a monument that was built in the memory of fallen heroes is disgusting by itself, but they also have killed a little girl and a young woman and several other people were injured. I just have no words for the bastards who did this.
    Please, correct my mistakes, except for the cases I misspell something on purpose!

Hanna

I find it very strange that these countries would want to remove the war memorials while the veterans who faught in the war are still alive, in their countries. A fair number of people even still support the ideology.

The small Central Asian countries don't even seem to have any big reservations about the Soviet era, and at the moment large parts of the population are quite happy to go to Russia to work or study.

This doesn't add up very well!!

Don't forget that these countries are full of misc. foreign interests (no names mentioned..) that can very easily stir up public opinion one way or the other.

For a small, poor country to upset it's biggest and most important neighbour and ally (Russia) over something like this seems like a very bad idea --- unless an even more influential or richer country was supporting it, behind the scenes.

Почтенный гражданин

It is barbarity all right.

Saakashvili is just frustrated he didn't manage to bring South Ossetia and Abhasia back to heel, so he tries to do something petty and spiteful. That tie-chewing idiot has nothing honourable in him. I think it's a huge insult to those who fought and died (the article says the monument was for 300.000 Georgian soldiers who died in WWII) and to the still living veterans.
    I absolutely agree with Gogi Kavtaradze's comment that only a fascist could destroy a monument commemorating the victory over fascism.

Wow, did you see this? Turns out Saakashvili and Stalin were born on the same day:

Дата громкого "прощания с коммунистическим прошлым" была выбрана не случайно: 21 декабря исполняется 130 лет Иосифу Сталину и 42 - Михаилу Саакашвили.
    Alice: One can't believe impossible things.
    The Queen: I dare say you haven't had much practice. When I was your age, I always did it for half an hour a day. Why, sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast.

I don't understand still what was 'anti-Russian' in this senseless act. This monument, as I understand, was erected in memory of Georgians who fought and died in the WW2. First of all Saakashvili spat on his own people's memory.
    Send me a PM if you need me.