Thread: Хорошее объяснение употребления частицы <<чтобы>>

Почтенный гражданин

Хорошее объяснение употребления частицы <<чтобы>>

I'm posting this because it's the best explanation of <<чтобы>> i've ever seen... i.m.h.o., that is
    Чтобы (часть первая)
    luck/life/kidkboom
    Грязные башмаки располагают к осмотрительности в выборе дороги. /*/ Muddy boots choose their roads with wisdom. ;

Властелин
    The conjunction can be used to express a purpose or for objective clauses, like Latin "ut".

Commonly, in english, something like 'in order' as in, 'in order to', when used with infinitive. Different meaning with past tense, like 'that'.

See this, about чтобы.

http://www.alphadictionary.com/rusgrammar/chtoby.html

Властелин
    Commonly, in english, something like 'in order' as in, 'in order to'.
    No, "in order to" is never used in clauses of object.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    No, "in order to" is never used in clauses of object.
    Я не знаю, что такое "clause of object", но in order чаще всего переводится как чтобы или с целью.

Властелин
    Я имел в виду дополнительные придаточные: Я хочу, чтобы..., Я прошу, чтобы..., которые с целью никак не связаны.

The Conjunctions ЧТО and ЧТОБЫ
    Russian has two conjunctions, что and чтобы, which resemble one another but which have radically different functions. The first is a simple verb complement marker requiring the indicative mood, while the second has two specialized meanings, one of which requires the conditional. The conditional is associated with the particle бы, which we see in чтобы, and the past tense of the verb, which чтобы sometimes requires (see below).

The Conjunction Что "(that)"

Perhaps the most common of the Russian subordinating conjunctions is the ubiquitous что. This conjunction marks a verbal complement, i.e. a sentence that functions as a direct object of a verb. For example, if you have a word for what you wish to express as a direct object, you simply put that word in the accusative case: Максим слышал музыку 'Maxim heard the music'. But what if there is no word for what Maxim heard. In that case you have to describe what he heard in a sentence. However, sentences cannot reflect case and direct objects must have case in Russian. So, in Russian you have to put in a 'dummy' pronoun to reflect case and the most common one is что: Максим слышал, что Горький произвёл скандал в Нью Йорке 'Maxim heard (that) Gorky created a scandal in New York'. Notice that the corresponding 'that' in English is omissible; in Russian it is not.
    Ельцин сказал, что экономика растёт.
    Yeltsin said (that) the economy is growing.
    Я надеюсь, что Ельцин прав.
    I hope (that) Yeltsin is right.
    Валя забыл, что пистолет заряжён
    Valya forgot (that) the gun was loaded.
    Я думаю, что Валя виноват.
    I think (that) Valya is at fault.

(Для того) чтобы "(in order) to"

The conjunction чтобы (or для того, чтобы) basically means "in order to" in English, e.g. I came downstairs (in order) to kiss the baby. However, it is also used in the same sense as to or for . . . to when to introduces a subordinate clause, indicating what it is that someone wants someone else to do, e.g. Mama wants Lara to clean up her room. To in this sentence might seem like an infinitive marker, but it translates in Russian as a subordinating conjunction.
    The important thing to remember is that чтобы requires the past tense of the verb if the subject of the subordinate verb is different from that of the main verb: Мама хочет, чтобы Лара убрала комнату. The literal translation would be something like "Mama wants that Lara should clean up her room", acceptable in some dialects of New York English, no doubt, because so many Russians and East Europeans immigrated there. If the subjects of the verbs in the main and subordinate clauses is identical, the subordinate verb is an infinitive: я спустился вниз (для того,) чтобы поцеловать ребёнка "I came down the stairs (in order) to kiss the baby."
    Here are a few examples to peruse. Read them over carefully, comparing them with the translations and noting the various meanings of чтобы and how it translates into English.
    "In order to" "For . . . to"
    Он приехал в Москву, чтобы пожениться. Мама сказала, чтобы ты вынесла мусор.
    He came to Moscow (in order) to get married. Mama said for you to take out the garbage.
    Юлия читает газету, чтобы стать умнее. Саша хочет, чтобы мы забрали его.
    Julia reads the newspaper (in order) to get smarter. Sasha wants us to pick him up.

The Conjunctions ЧТО and ЧТОБЫ

Quote Originally Posted by Lampada View Post
    in order чаще всего переводится как чтобы или с целью.
    I think Lampada is correct -- however, "the converse is not true", i.e., чтобы has other common translations besides "in order to".

I'd say that чтобы = "in order to" is a good rule-of-thumb for English speakers learning Russian, but maybe not a good rule for Russians learning English.

Мама хочет, чтобы Лара убрала комнату. The literal translation would be something like "Mama wants that Lara should clean up her room", acceptable in some dialects of New York English, no doubt, because so many Russians and East Europeans immigrated there.

And thanks to old cartoon characters like Bugs Bunny and Popeye, millions of Americans who never lived anywhere near New York became familiar with constructions like "Do you want that I should punch you in the nose, wise guy?"!

(And Yoda, too, was inspired by New York immigrants whose English got mixed up with grammar from Russian, Yiddish, etc.)