Thread: Ты сегодня придёшь ко мне на вечерику?

Ты сегодня придёшь ко мне на вечерику?

So I just wanted to break down this sentence to clarify a few grammatical rules.

Google Translate says; You now come to me at the party.

Now this is where I'm abit confused, I don't know if google just assumes на is "at", even though вечеринку being in the accusative would suggest a verb of motion - "прийти". So by that logic it would translate roughly to; "are you coming to me and towards my party today?"

And in my head it seems as if [Ты сегодня придёшь ко мне] is already defined the action, now the where, which is defined by the prepositional could be added [на вечеринке], as the way I read the sentence, this part is showing the location and not movement, so why does it also decline as if it was affected by прийти? Or is this just a strange Russian sentence that doesn't really translate literally to English.

Are you coming to my party today?
    Are you coming to the party at my house tonight?

I don't really follow this, as the word house is never mentioned, or is it just implied. I thought come to me, could mean anywhere, even if you were at a party somewhere else.

we don't say "come to me" in the meaning you want to have. It is a very specific phrase, used to ask a person who is standing a few feet or even inches away to come very close to you.

Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyX View Post
    So I just wanted to break down this sentence to clarify a few grammatical rules.

Google Translate says; You now come to me at the party.

Now this is where I'm abit confused, I don't know if google just assumes на is "at", even though вечеринку being in the accusative would suggest a verb of motion - "прийти". So by that logic it would translate roughly to; "are you coming to me and towards my party today?"

And in my head it seems as if [Ты сегодня придёшь ко мне] is already defined the action, now the where, which is defined by the prepositional could be added [на вечеринке], as the way I read the sentence, this part is showing the location and not movement, so why does it also decline as if it was affected by прийти? Or is this just a strange Russian sentence that doesn't really translate literally to English.
    The verb прийти, like any other verb of motion, answers (but not limited to the questions) "в/на куда?" and "к кому?"
    In this example, you are going "to a party" or "to someone", not "to someone in a party"
    The prepositions на and в, used in the prepositional case as you mentioned, are also prepositions used for the accusative case indicating motion.

I think the phrase "приходи ко мне" is an equivalent of "come over".

You do not explicitly mean "come to me" just as you do not mean to position your counterpart "over" you (at least, that is not apparent in the original phrase).