Thread: -то

Завсегдатай

-то

Privet,
    I’m not sure I grasp the meaning of -то shoved onto the end of words. Can someone explain please??/

ogromnoye spasibo

Завсегдатай
    Yea. I dunno the grammatical term but in essence it just makes things more 'vague'. For example

что what
    что-то something

где where
    где-то somewhere

кто Who
    Кто-то someone

какой What a
    Какой-то Some kind of a

You get my drift??
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

very good, but not complete a bit though

Historically, '-то' was something like an article, like the English 'the' or so. Now it is rudimental in Russian but developed into a fully functional article in, e.g., Bulgarian, where it even has genders: -ът and -та, like 'le' and 'la' in French.

In Russian it implies that the subject is known or was recently discussed; besides, usually it means some contrast to what was said, supposed or believed, or to emphasize a fact. For this reason it frequently comes after "но" (which means 'but') or "а" (its meaning is somewhere between 'but' and 'and'; is there an equivalent in English?).

"Учительница не пришла" would mean just 'the teacher hasn't come'. This may imply a possibility that she will come.

"Учительница-то не пришла" might mean 'You see? (or: did you notice?) The teacher hasn't come', sometimes with emphasis, that this is fully in accordance to what you believed previosly, or, alternatively, is quite contrary to what you expected; usually implies that there is no use in waiting more.

So , using "то", we attract our attention to the word we want to underline

It's like "you see", "mark my word", "nota bene", "take a look", "you know", "aha!", "there you are!", "what did I tell you!" etc.

учительница-то опоздала = заметь, учительница опоздала.
    English Edition

В обычных странах церковь отделена от государства, а в России - от Бога.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by mishau_
    Historically, '-то' was an article, like 'the'.
    Source of your info please? AFAIK, historically, it was a pronoun like "that". In Bulgarian (and in Macedonian, if my memory serves me) it indeed developed into an article. But this is not true for other Slavic languages.

Edit: perhaps it is just a matter of classification. Come to think of it, even in some modern Russian rural dialects this particle is used very much like an article. I think VM posted a couple of examples some time ago.

Edit 2: According to this http://www.speakrus.ru/articles/meje.htm , articles ("член") did not exits in Common Slavic (Pra-slavic), but were developed later in Bulgarian and Macedonian.

As to Russian, "В русском языке наблюдается тенденция развития своего рода постпозитивного члена, тип которого, однако, отличается от болгарского; эта тенденция не достигла завершения, особенно в литературном языке."

Завсегдатай
    Oh. Thanks for expanding i guess. I was only concentrating on the smaller interagatives because thats what i thought he was asking about. But maybe he meant what you said.
    Вот это да, я так люблю себя. И сегодня я люблю себя, ещё больше чем вчера, а завтра я буду любить себя to ещё больше чем сегодня. Тем что происходит,я вполне доволен!

Завсегдатай
    Спасибо всем за ответы.
    Можете ли вы тоже объяснить эти предложения? Мне много помогло бы.

Куда же приехали-то?

И тогда уж тоже тут, люди-то поняли, в чем дело-то

эх вот очередной вопрос: что значит -с connected to the end of words?

eg
    Понимаем-с!

истинная правда-с, только все русские силы даром к себе переводят!

spasibo

Завсегдатай
    explain in english please!

Завсегдатай
    "-c" is obsolete now, it was used to express your respect to the person one is talking to. I read somewhere that it is a shortened form of "сударь" (mister, sir).

Source of your info please?
    Грамота.Ру, как водится
    a web site for Russians to learn Russian

http://www.gramota.ru/book/village/map25.html

Можете ли вы тоже объяснить эти предложения? Мне много помогло бы.
    Можете ли вы также объяснить и эти предложения? Мне здорово помогло бы.

Куда же приехали-то? - exlamation in extreme astonisment (where the dell we are exactly?)

И тогда уж тоже тут, люди-то поняли, в чем дело-то - in this sample there are too many particles. It sounds like "And only then right here people at last understood what exactly was the matter"
    English Edition

Source of your info please?
    Грамота.Ру, как водится
    a web site for Russians to learn Russian
    http://www.gramota.ru/book/village/map25.html
    Отличная ссылка!
    Да, на Украине -то не часто услышишь.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Завсегдатай
    Thank, but, unfortunately, this link doesn't support your statement that "Historically, '-то' was an article, like 'the'"

Именно такое использование местоимения тъ привело к развитию в болгарском языке постпозитивного члена, который есть не что иное, как определенный артикль, ср. болг.: дом – домът, земя – земята, перо – перото.
    В северо-восточных и восточных русских диалектах развитие сочетаний существительных и прилагательных с частицей тъ пошло в том же направлении – от частицы к артиклю, однако в русских говорах, в отличие от болгарского языка, частица -то употребляется и с другими частями речи

So, historically, it was a particle, pure and simple, which has later developed—in some languages and dialects—into an article.

All right, I already corrected myself.
    English Edition