Like Tree2Likes
  • 2 Post By Paul G.

Thread: садить и сидеть

садить и сидеть

Can someone please expalin me what is the difference between "садить" and "сидеть".
    Wiktionary gives exactly the same definition: "to sit", which is an intransive verb.

сидеть - to sit or to serve time in prison

e.g

Он сидел на скамейке - He sat on the bench
    Он сидел в тюрьме 3 года - He served 3 years in prison

Садить - to plant or to put somebody in prison

e.g

Мы посадили (посадить perfective form of садить) помидоры и морковь в саду - We have planted tomatoes and carrots in the garden
    Его посадили в тюрьму - He was put in prison

By the way it's not Кипре it's Кипр
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

hahahahaha. Of course is Kipr but when I created the profile I didn't know, believe me.
    Thank you for the answer ... and you are more than welcome in Cyprus.

Expanding a little on iCake's answer, I would summarize the sitting verbs this way:

• сидеть = "to be (unmoving) in a sitting position" [intransitive, and expressing где?, "where"]
    • садиться / сесть = "to sit oneself down" [intransitive, but expressing movement: куда?, "to where"]
    • сажать / посадить = "to put into a seated position; to help someone sit down; to plant; to imprison" [transitive, and also expressing куда?]

And finally:

• садить = Rather old-fashioned-sounding equivalent of сажать

So, садить is not wrong, but nowadays it's probably better to use сажать in most situations. For instance, I think it's correct to say Стюардесса сажает пассажиров, "The stewardess is directing passengers to their seats."

P.S. сидеть, "to be sitting," does have various perfectives that add different shades of meaning, but it doesn't really have a "neutral" perfective like садиться /сесть and сажать/посадитьdo.

P.P.S. The same basic pattern applies to the "lying down" and "standing" verbs -- there's a non-moving/static intransitive that means "to be in the position"; another intransitive that means "to move oneself into the position"; and a transitive that means "to move someone/something else into the position."

Paul G.
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post
    For instance, I think it's correct to say Стюардесса сажает пассажиров, "The stewardess is directing passengers to their seats."
    Well, it's grammatically correct, but sounds weird in this case. When you say "стюардесса сажает пассажиров" it looks like the passengers do it forced, they are like tomato seeds or prisoners, because "сажать" also means "to put in a prison". As you know, Russian verbs have a lot of prefixes. So, you should use one of them: рассаживать. For instance, "стюардесса рассаживает пассажиров". It means that she directs them. Or "учитель рассадил учеников по местам". "Рассаживать" implies directing.
    However, sometimes it can be acceptable, for example, I can imagine a pilot who commands the stewardess "сажай(те) пассажиров", because it's Ok in a colloquial speaking.
    When you mean "to get on board", you should use "сажать", because it doesn't imply a specific direction for every person. For example, "работа бортпроводниц - сажать пассажиров на самолет", "мы посадили родителей на автобус".

Also you can use "усаживать", it implies that you help someone to take their seat with caring or politeness (depends on context). For instance, "он усадил своего пожилого отца в кресло", "мама усаживает малыша на стул", "стюардесса сначала усадила пассажиров, а затем села на свое место". Also it can mean that you force someone, like "he made John seat down".

You can work on these verbs, too: осадить/осаживать, пересадить/пересаживать, насадить/насаживать, всадить/всаживать, присадить/присаживать(ся) ("Присаживайтесь, пожалуйста!"), отсадить/отсаживать(ся), обсадить/обсаживать, подсадить/подсаживать(ся) ("Он подсел к девушке на скамейку", "Не подсаживайтесь ко мне!").
    Lampada and Throbert McGee like this.

Садить also means "to bang".

В ярости он саданул по столу кулаком.

Садить also means to burst aka shoot.

Чапаев изо всех сил нахлёстывал коней, а Петька садил из пулемёта по нагоняющим белым.
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.