Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Разные вопросы по грамматике (by tiudavidharris

Почётный участник
    А как знать надо ли использовать "из" или "от" ?
    Я выкопал картофель из моего сада.
    Почему не "от" моего сада ?

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon000001 View Post
    The basic prepositions for directions are:
    "в" (into, motion to inside a location) and "из" (opposite to "в", motion from inside a location);
    "на" (onto, motion to the top of a location) and "с" (opposite to "на", motions from the top of a location);
    "к" (towards, motion to a location not necessarily entering it) and "от" (opposite to "к", motion from a point near a location to a point far away from it).

There are much more nuances of how to use "в" and "на", of course. I have just provided a simplified mapping.
    But anyway, "из" always corresponds to "в" and "с" always corresponds to "на".

У меня в огороде растёт картофель (Potatoes grow in my garden), BTW note, it is "огород" where you grow vegetables, not "сад". "Сад" is usually for fruit trees.
    That's why you say: Я выкопал картофель из огорода.

If you say "Я выкопал картофель от огорода", that would sound very strange, as if you started digging potatoes from the edge of your garden and proceeded to somewhere outside of it...

Compare:
    Река течёт с горы. - The river flows from the top of the mountain.
    Река течёт из горы. - The river flows from inside the mountain (imagine there is some empty cavity inside it). Maybe it flows out of a cave.
    Река течёт от горы. - The river flow starts from a point very close to the mountain, not from the mountain itself. Or maybe from the foot of the mountain.

You can think of it this way:
    "из" = out of; "с" = from the top of; "от"= starting from.
    They are very rough approximations, but they might help to understand the difference.

One more example:
    Мы ехали из Самары в Москву 10 часов. = We travelled from Samara to Moscow 10 hours. It means we started the way in Samara and finished it in Moscow. The whole way is assumed.
    Мы ехали от Самары до Москвы 10 часов. = We travelled from Samara to Moscow 10 hours. Maybe we started the way much earlier (say, in Yekaterinburg) and continued it after Moscow (maybe to St. Petersburg). But the span between Samara and Moscow took us 10 hours. It is not clear, if the whole way is assumed or a part of it.

Почётный участник
    A bad example. Noone speaks like that.
    Either it is "Я выкопал картофель в своём саду"
    or "Я выкопал картофель из земли".
    One single potato is also "картофелина". A more colloquial word for potato is "картошка". You can use these, too.
    "От" means rather "away from" than "out of", so it is not suitable for digging objects from the ground.

Banned
    Because Russian is not English (or French)
    The sooner you stop word-by-word translating from English(or French) and start thinking in Russian patterns - the better for your learning

car
    Подающий надежды оратор
    Quote Originally Posted by it-ogo View Post
    My dictionary says that in English there are both a noun "here" and an adverb "here".
    I'm not sure about this, maybe a late misconcieved grammaticalization, like double negations, natural to the language, were banned because they are "contrary to the logic". Etymologically in Germanic languages "her" is an adverb, and it was substantivated in English as a noun only later, not a rare event. In Russian we have combinations of от- + сюда as well and there is no noun "сюда", although the compound is absolutely same. I only meant that it's simply a matter of spelling convention. French d'ici, German von hier (why not vonhier?) etc.

Quote Originally Posted by car View Post
    I'm not sure about this, maybe a late misconcieved grammaticalization, like double negations, natural to the language, were banned because they are "contrary to the logic". Etymologically in Germanic languages "her" is an adverb, and it was substantivated in English as a noun only later, not a rare event. In Russian we have combinations of от- + сюда as well and there is no noun "сюда", although the compound is absolutely same. I only meant that it's simply a matter of spelling convention. French d'ici, German von hier (why not vonhier?) etc.
    Well I am not old enough to remember times when "here" was not used as a noun. AFAIK, word class is defined neither by etymology nor by spelling but by the actual current usage of the word. Составные наречия (compound adverbs?) do exist in both English and Russian. E.g. "At first" is one adverb.

I believe the description of actual use of "here" in English as it is accepted now is OK. If one can use "here" in English with virtually any preposition and gain some sense, it is a noun de facto. There are not only "from here" and "to here" but much more.

On the other hand one can't use any article with it, but there are a number of apparent nouns (like today-tomorrow-yesterday) which denote a unique object rather than class and are not used with articles and in plural. And sometimes they are used as adverbs as well.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Почётный участник

Разные вопросы по грамматике

are the words 'успеха' and 'довра' in genitive case?
    what are the grammar reasons for them to be in genitive case?
    довра is a short adjective?
    успеха is a noun?

я вам пожелал успеха = i wished you success
    я вам пожелал довра = i wished you good fortune

thank you

успех and добро are both nouns.
    The verb желать needs genitive.
    The verb itself is the reason.

Я желаю вам успеха/добра/счастья/счастливого пути/благополучия/процветания/исполнения всех желаний...
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

Почётный участник

grammar reason for having ' на ' the sentence "я отвечаю всем на вопросы"?

hello, i am having trouble again with grammar.

what is the grammar reason for having the preposition ' на ' the sentence "я отвечаю всем на вопросы"?

я отвечаю всем на вопросы = the syntax here really confuses me. what does "на вопросы " mean in this sentence? does it mean "i am answering everyone (everyone is questioning me)?" or "i am answering the questions to everyone (here i mean everyone is being questioned)?"

я отвечаю всем вопросы = "i am answering questions to everyone (i am replying to people by asking questions)?" or is this nonsense?

also, please tell me if i have the correct translation of the following sentences:
    я отвечаю все = i am answering everything
    я отвечаю за все = i am answering for everything
    я отвечаю всем = i am answering everyone
    я отвечаю вопросы всеx = i am answering the questions of everyone

thank you!

This is the right option:
    я отвечаю всем на вопросы = "i am answering questions to everyone (i am replying to people who are asking questions)?"
    Although I suspect this thing sounds as weird in English as it does in Russian.
    But it is grammatically correct.

я отвечаю на всё = i am answering everything
    я отвечаю за всё = i am answering for everything (I'm in charge for everything)
    я отвечаю всем = i am answering everyone
    я отвечаю на вопросы всеx = i am answering the questions of everyone

Отвечать на + accusative = answer something that "originally went towards you".
    It's like "to fight back".

Отвечать на (ваш) вопрос
    Отвечать на (ваш) удар
    Отвечать на (ваше) предложение
    Отвечать на (вашу) претензию
    Отвечать на (ваше) письмо

Отвечать + dative = answer to an asker
    Ответь мне (на мой вопрос)
    Вам нужно ответить заказчику (на запрос о ценах).
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

In English that sentence means "I am replying to everyone's questions".

In English you reply TO a question, which is exactly what на means here. Всем is dative case, which is exactly what "them" is in English, but as the dative case is otherwise practically extinct in English, you have to say "I reply to them". In Russian "I reply them" is sufficient. "I reply to them to questions" would sound very awkward, English prefers a genitive "their" or "everyone's". Which Russian also can do, but doesn't have to.

The English verb "answer" works differently, but "reply" illustrates better what is going on here.
    Спасибо за исправления!

Вам нравится этот форум, и вы изучаете немецкий язык? Вот похожий форум о немецком языке.

Почётный участник
    Great!

so "я отвечаю тебе." is correct? and "я отвечаю тебя" is incorrect?

also, i have applied the syntax to the following sentences with the verb "расспращиваTb. please correct me if i am wrong.

я расспращиваю всем на ответы = i am questioning everyone's answers/ i am questioning to everyone whose answers are coming "toward me"

я расспращиваю на ответы всеx = i am questioning the answers of everyone

я расспращиваю на всё = i am questioning everything
    я расспращиваю за всё = i am examining everything (like an inspector)
    я расспращиваю всем = i am questioning everyone

Почётный участник

using 'на', 'зa' and dative case with 'говорить' and 'спрашивать'

I have translated the following sentences. please correct me if there are errors.

'весь' means everyone or everything
    я говорю за всё = i am speaking for everyone or everything
    я говорю всем = i am speaking to everyone or everything

я говорю тебе = im telling to you
    я говорю тебя = im telling you (this actually confusing me)

я спрашиваю за все = i am asking for everyone or everything
    я спрашиваю всеx = i am asking to everyone or everything

do these following sentences mean anything? or are they nonsense?
    я говорю на всё
    я спрашиваю на всё
    я спрашиваю всеx на столе
    я спрашиваю всеx за столoм

so "я отвечаю тебе." is correct? and "я отвечаю тебя" is incorrect?
    Yes you got it.

also, i have applied the syntax to the following sentences with the verb "расспрашиваTb. please correct me if i am wrong.
    No расспрашивать has different connotation than in English, in Russian it's like draw information from someone, not reply to something thar was earlier directed toward you. So It's just like "I ask" (я спрашиваю кого-то), needs accusative.

So basically it's:
    Я расспрашиваю всех о чём-то.
    verb + someone (accusative) + about + (prepositional)

The others sound like:
    Я расспрашиваю всех на <столе> I'm questioning everyone on the table. (It must be inconvenient tho)
    Я расспрашиваю всех за <столом> at the table or behind the table (these are a bit more convenient

Preposition in Russian often draw their own case,
    like "на" can mean:

"on" (physical location)
    needs prepositional
    На тебе отличная куртка -- A nice shirt is on you
    Книга лежит на столе -- The book is on the table.

"onto" (physical movement towards something)
    needs accusative
    Я пойду на дискотеку -- I will go to the party
    Я положил книгу на стол. -- I put the book onto the table.

"to" (as in reply to, like returning a virtual ball)
    needs accusative
    Я отвечу на твоё письмо завтра -- I'll reply to your letter tomorrow.
    Я не могу ответить на твой вопрос. -- I can't answer your question.

I already answered in your other thread about the "на" thing.

it needs the prepositional case here.

Я говорю на многих языках.
    Я спрашиваю на ... nonsense

Почётный участник
    so would it be correct to say "я прнимаю всех" ?

понимаю (understand) or принимаю (welcome, receive)?

Either way, всех is right here.

Although принимать can also mean "take something upon yourself" like принимать решение, принимать командование, it needs accusative too.

Quote Originally Posted by tiudavidharris View Post
    I have translated the following sentences. please correct me if there are errors.

'весь' means everyone or everything
    я говорю за всё = i am speaking for everyone or everything
    я говорю всем = i am speaking to everyone or everything

я говорю тебе = im telling to you
    я говорю тебя = im telling you (this actually confusing me)

я спрашиваю за все = i am asking for everyone or everything
    я спрашиваю всеx = i am asking to everyone or everything

do these following sentences mean anything? or are they nonsense?
    я говорю на всё
    я спрашиваю на всё
    я спрашиваю всеx на столе
    я спрашиваю всеx за столoм
    You did not give enough context. Some combinations of prepositions and case can have some marginal senses (rare, colloquial, vernacular, slang etc.) in some specific situations. Native speaker can hardly remember all of them, but words come when they are needed.

я говорю тебя = im telling you (this actually confusing me) - this can confuse everybody. It means that "тебя" (in your phrase) is a phrase or a sentence or a speech - something that you can say out aloud.

я говорю за всё - 1. (Odessa funny accent, incorrect) I say about everything. 2. I am a representative of everything and I speak in the name of everything. (rather confusing sense)

я спрашиваю всеx на столе - "I am on the table (on the surface of the table) and asks everybody" or "I ask everybody, who is on the table..."

я говорю на всё: - 1) "I speak (by paid phone) long enough to spend all my money" 2) я говорю на всё: "ххх!" - I speak about everything (or in response to everything) : "xxx!".

я спрашиваю за все - "I demand answers for all bad deeds (and punish for all sins)"

etc. etc.

It is really bad idea to list ALL possibilities. It is a task for generations of native philologists.

P.S. It is Accusative, not Dative. Dative (всё - всему, все - всем) can not be combined with prepositions за and на.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12