Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By vikk
  • 2 Post By Alex80
  • 1 Post By RedFox
  • 1 Post By Полуношник

Thread: Ну что ты, право ...

Увлечённый спикер

Red face Ну что ты, право ...

- Я тебе хочу ещё сказать. что мы, твои школьные товарищи, гордимся тобой.
    - Ну что ты, право ...
    - Нет, в самом деле. Это не просто красивые слова, это действительно так. Мы от души радуемся твоим успехам.

I generally understand the dialogue but I have problem with the above two pharses:
    1. What does "Ну что ты, право ..." mean? I only very vaguely find право as "really".
    2. And I just know "в самом деле" is "in fact", which is not a very natural translation here. What does it mean here?

Thanks a lot

Нет, в самом деле. - "actually, no". or "indeed, no"
    Ну что ты, право ... - a verse form. You can translate it without the word право. Actually, I don't even know how I have to translate it)))
    wonlon likes this.

Почтенный гражданин
    "Ну что ты, право"
    "Право" is like "I assure you", "really" here. For example "Право, я не хотел этого" ("I really didn't want it"). This meaning is archaic a little.
    "Ну что ты" can be shortage of "Ну что ты (говоришь/думаешь/позволяешь)". In this case it is something like "What are you talking about?" which expresses confusion of the talker: "Oh, stop it! I beg you!".
    RedFox and wonlon like this.

Увлечённый спикер
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex80 View Post
    "Ну что ты, право"
    "... something like "What are you talking about?" which expresses confusion of the talker: "Oh, stop it! I beg you!".
    It is actually a short phone conversation in which a person calls his friend to congratulate his 50-year-old birthday and also pays compliment to his achievement. Probably Ну что ты is some kind of denial here, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by vikk View Post
    Нет, в самом деле. - "actually, no". or "indeed, no"
    My Chinese translation of "Нет, в самом деле" says something like "No, it's true." And I just found a source here,
    в самом деле, maybe it's meaning 2)?

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by wonlon View Post
    My Chinese translation of "Нет, в самом деле" says something like "No, it's true." And I just found a source here,
    в самом деле, maybe it's meaning 2)?
    I believe, "Нет, в самом деле" is used to negate the words of the interlocutor and turn the conversation back to the previous topic.

It can have both meaning here: "actually, no" and "no, it's true" (i.e. "no i will not stop; my words are true"). The both meanings merge and complement each other, so it is hard to split them.
    wonlon likes this.

Старший оракул
    Negations are used differently in English and Russin. "Нет, в самом деле" means "Yes, indeed" here. RedFox explained why. In Russian "нет" is the reference to the statement of the interlocutor. In English "yes" is the reference to the speaker's point of view.
    wonlon likes this.
    Налево пойдёшь - коня потеряешь, направо пойдёшь - сам голову сложишь.
    Прямой путь не предлагать!