Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ненормативная лексика и мы

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post
    Однажды я готовил обед у сестры и сильно порезал палец ножом. Конечно, очень хотелось ругнуться матом, однако маленький племянник Алекс (ему исполнится четыре года в марте) сидел за столом в кухне, играя с пластилином. И я думал "Хоть бы мальчика не было в кухне, чтобы я смог выругаться со словами G*ddamn f*ck sh*t c*cksucker son-of-a-b*tch!![/I]" -- а вместо этого, я громко шептал, "Oh, shoot, darn it!", чтобы привлечь внимание сестры. Она, видя что со мной, пластырь из ванной принесла, и всё было нормально, а племмяник всё задавал и задавал нам вопросы: "Папочка, пачему Джадже Робу пластир нужен?" -- "Потому что он порезал палец. Пластырь сделает всё лучше." -- "Ладно, а пачему Джаджя Роб разрезал палиц?" -- "Потому что он был неосторожен с ножом." -- "А пачему?"

(Once I was cooking dinner at my sister's house and cut my finger deeply with a knife. Naturally, I very much wanted to use some cuss words; however, my little nephew Alex -- who will turn four in March -- was sitting at the kitchen table, playing with clay. And I thought, "I really wish he weren't in the kitchen, so that I could say G*ddamn f*ck sh*t c*cksucker son-of-a-b*tch out loud!" But instead, I loudly whispered, "Oh, shoot, darn it!" in order to get my sister's attention. Seeing what was the matter with me, she brought a bandage from the bathroom, and every was okay, but my nephew kept on asking us question after question: "Daddy, why Onka Rob needs a bandid?" -- "Because he cut his finger. The bandage will make it better." -- "Oh. Why Onka Rob cut his finga?" -- "Because he was not being careful with the knife." -- "Why?")
    Note: разрезал палец = cut in half, so it's better to say "порезал палец" (i hope this was the case)

Lampada, спасибо за исправления!

When I was writing that, I went back and forth between "привлечь внимание" and "притягать внимание".

Would "притягать" ("to attract") be the correct verb to use when talking about magnets and gravity?
    Говорит Бегемот: "Dear citizens of MR -- please correct my Russian mistakes!"

Quote Originally Posted by alexsms View Post
    Note: разрезал палец = cut in half, so it's better to say "порезал палец" (i hope this was the case)
    Excuse me for a second...

G*ddamn *ss-licking sh*t-stained motherf*cking c*cksucking c*nt-face son-of-a-b*tch bloody tampon русские глагольные приставки!

Старший оракул
    Would "притягать" ("to attract") be the correct verb to use when talking about magnets and gravity?
    Yes, if you mean "притягивать". "Притягать" does not exist.

Quote Originally Posted by zxc View Post
    A fairly comprehensive tour through Russian can be found at Russian Cursing for Beginners: Learn to Curse in Russian .
    They have a point in the following:

Strictly speaking, mat is a language built upon five (5) extremely vulgar roots. Using the rules of Russian grammar and word formation, verbs, adjectives, and nouns of every kind can be formed—entire sentences (and diatribes) composed exclusively of mat vocabulary.
    Though there are more than five roots even as a first approach. Ten looks more adequate. And there are not only "entire sentences (and diatribes)" - one can spend entire life using exclusively obscene roots and be able to express very complicated ideas and be understood (within context).
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Quote Originally Posted by it-ogo View Post
    Though there are more than five [мат] roots even as a first approach.
    Out of curiosity, are you including scatological terms such as г*вно, ср*ть, and сс*ть on that list of "more than five roots"? And what about ж*па? (I've been told by some Russians that the words for the brown and yellow substances are not considered мат, even though "sh*t" very definitely qualifies as "английский мат", and some people would place "crap" on that list also.)

The American comedian George Carlin famously claimed (in 1972) that there are "Seven Dirty Words" that aren't allowed on US television. But even his famous list omitted some examples that would've been "too мат-ish for TV" in 1972, such as "asshole" and "fart".

Of course, other words were left off the list because they have non-obscene meanings:

Out of curiosity, are you including scatological terms such as г*вно, ср*ть, and сс*ть on that list of "more than five roots"? And what about ж*па?
    Exactly. Those roots are used extensively in obscene word formation in the speech of the same style.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12