Thread: народное хозяйство

Почтенный гражданин

народное хозяйство

According to dictionaries, the equivalent of народное хозяйство is national economy. But it doesn't make much sense in the following text. Here народное хозяйство is one of the important parts of the government expenses. Does anyone has any idea how to translate this phrase in this context.

Колоссальное сокращение государственных доходов не вызвало дестабилизирующих макроэкономических последствий только потому, что одновременно с этим и даже с опережающей скоростью происходило радикальное сокращение всех государственных расходов -- с 36,4% ВВП в 1979 г. до 13,1% ВВП в 1996 г. Сокращению подверглись практически все составные части расходов, но в особенности расходы на инвестиции, субсидии, дотации, оборону, народное хозяйство, социальное обеспечение.

Завсегдатай
    может быть имеется в виду "сельское хоз-во"? но точно не знаю

Властелин
    Social economy - does such term exist?

Властелин
    In my opinion, народное хозяйство is something that is owned by common people. For example, a garden. Another example - you live in a house in a village and have got a few cows of your own that you constantly milk and when the time comes, you kill them for meat. This is all called народное хозяйство
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Властелин
    It is not a well written paragraph. What is most likely meant is government-owned industries and services.
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    In my opinion, народное хозяйство is something that is owned by common people. For example, a garden. Another example - you live in a house in a village and have got a few cows of your own that you constantly milk and when the time comes, you kill them for meat. This is all called народное хозяйство
    Не, по-моему, это не то. Но я здесь легко могу ошибиться. По-моему, adoc был ближе к истине, и НХ - это те отрасли промышленности, которые направлены на улучшение жизни людей (строительство, пищевая, текстильная промышленность и т. п.)

Властелин
    RedS is just fooling around .

As for the "народное хозяйство", it seems like a poor choice of words (for the lack of a better one perhaps?). Back in the USSR times all industries and services were government-owned, and out of political reasons they were called "народное хозяйство" (people's economy?). So, there were no investments per se, only expenditures "for the good of the people". One has to know how the USSR propaganda worked to fully appreciate all these confused meanings. Now the economy is different yet the dated jargon is used.
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Властелин
    Well, I agree that I might have been mistaken. Actually, that's strange that народное хозяйство should be something that belongs to the government. I assume it's kind of a trick. The government knowlingly named this part of industry this way so that its people would think this portion belongs to them. There's small wonder that I was mistaken when I said that народное хозяйство belongs to common people. Sort of misconception, I guess.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

Почётный участник
    Народное хозяйство is Economy. The term is the same as in German language. I know this for sure, because I'm a graduated economist.

Завсегдатай
    Shouldn't it be also "national economy"?
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».