Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Крошка/Мужчина

Quote Originally Posted by Полуношник View Post
    Грамота.ру:

2. КРОШКА, -и; м. и ж. Разг.
    Does the М. и ж denote Muzh and Zhena? As in you can use both?

Завсегдатай
    Nouns of common gender (общего рода, marked as м. и ж. in dictionaries) can refer to objects of both genders. They are often emotionally charged and speak of some qualities of objects, or refer to their occupations:
    староста, шалунишка, умница, неряха, жадина, непоседа, недотёпа, торопыга, etc.

Both verbs and adjectives in this case are changed accordingly and match the gender of the object in question.
    Наш новый староста объявил о собрании. (male)
    Наша новая староста объявила о собрании. (female)

Words defining occupations ( м. in dictionaries)
    Some words defining occupations can also refer to both genders: врач, учитель, менеджер, etc.
    In this case verbs should match the actual gender of the person:
    Врач уже пришел (male)
    Врач уже пришла (female)

But attributes/adjectives are always in masculine:
    Он хороший врач
    Она хороший врач

That's why such words are considered to be of masculine gender (NOT common gender).

Masculine nouns ending with -а (-я)
    Папа, дядя, юноша, юнга, слуга, братишка, etc.

These nouns just happen to look like they are feminine, but they "act" like usual masculine nouns and should not be confused with nouns of common gender.

So... "крошка" belongs to the first category, thus technically it's correct to say "Мой сладкий крошка". But such a phrase is rather awkward, probably because it's something that is more likely to be said to women, and "крошка" with its "feminine" ending does not help.

Please note, that people often disregard these rules, going with what their guts tell them and saying things like "Наш врач пришел" (about a woman) or "моя кроха" about a boy. So don't be surprised. ))

Does the М. и ж denote Muzh and Zhena? As in you can use both?
    Мужской и женский (род) - masculine and feminine (gender)
    maxmixiv likes this.

Masculine nouns ending with -а (-я)
    Папа, дядя, юноша, юнга, слуга, братишка, etc.

These nouns just happen to look like they are feminine, but they "act" like usual masculine nouns and should not be confused with nouns of common gender.
    'A' declension, masculine noun: From

Именительный па'па па'пы
    Родительный па'пы па'п
    Дательный па'пе па'пам
    Винительный одуш. па'пу па'п
    Творительный па'пой, па'пою па'пами
    Предложный па'пе па'пах

Adjectives are in typical masculine pattern eg доброму папе

Quote Originally Posted by gRomoZeka View Post
    So... "крошка" belongs to the first category
    i don't think so, unlike the listed nouns крошка denotes a unique object which has nothing to do with humans, namely a crumb, therefore it can only have one gender

in relation to humans it's only a metaphor and feminine metaphors usually aren't applied to men and vice versa

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by LXNDR View Post
    i don't think so, unlike the listed nouns
    крошка denotes a unique object which has nothing to do with humans, namely a crumb, therefore it can only have one gender
    You are mixing things.
    "Крошка" as a crumb is one thing, and "крошка" as a quality of a person is another. The latter it's an emotionally charged word that implies a tiny size (often figuratively, just like "baby" in English does not necessarily mean that the person is young) and corresponds to "крохотный" ("tiny"). They have different grammatical qualities, and it's represented in dictionaries:

крошка
    I м. и ж.
    (о ребёнке) little one
    II ж.
    (хлеба и т.п.) crumb

It says clearly that "крошка" in its first meaning can be either masculine or feminine, i.e. of common gender.

крошка
    I м. и ж.
    (о ребёнке) little one
    II ж.
    (хлеба и т.п.) crumb
    Which dictionary or online resource did you get this from? Just out of interest as it seems to give more information than Wiktionary which I have been using.

You are mixing things.
    "Крошка" as a crumb is one thing, and "крошка" as a quality of a person is another. The latter it's an emotionally charged word that implies a tiny size (often figuratively, just like "baby" in English does not necessarily mean that the person is young) and corresponds to "крохотный" ("tiny"). They have different grammatical qualities, and it's represented in dictionaries:

крошка
    I м. и ж.
    (о ребёнке) little one
    II ж.
    (хлеба и т.п.) crumb

It says clearly that "крошка" in its first meaning can be either masculine or feminine, i.e. of common gender.
    i think the second meaning is derived from the original meaning, which i think is a crumb
    i'm not talking about the variety of modern meanings of the word but about the primal one

if you review the words in the common gender list, none of them describes insentient object, these will represent either human characteristic, profession or occupation

adjectives крохотный and крошечный impose a quality of a crumb onto the objects they describe, which if you break it down means 'small like a crumb'

the verb крошить doesn't mean 'to make small' but 'to break something into tiny pieces (or crumbs)'

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by ShakeyX View Post
    Which dictionary or online resource did you get this from? Just out of interest as it seems to give more information than Wiktionary which I have been using.
    I use ABBY Lingvo (a desktop edition for 20 languages), it's my favorite dictionary.
    They have an online service which is pretty good, though some features (for example, explanatory dictionaries) are not free:
    http://www.lingvo.ua/ru/Translate/ru-en/крошка

Don't forget to try links "Примеры" (Examples) and "Словосочетания" (Set expressions) under the search for every word.

Орфографический словарь

крошка, -и, р. мн. -шек, ж. (действие; крохотный кусочек, частичка, также собир.), м. и ж. (малютка)

Большой толковый словарь

1. КРОШКА, -и; мн. род. -шек, дат. -шкам; ж.
    к Крошить (1 зн.). Табак собственной крошки. К. и сушка цикория.
    Мельчайшая часть, маленький кусочек какого-л. вещества. Хлебные крошки. Крошки пирога. С утра даже крошки во рту не было. Хлеба в доме нет ни крошки.
    3. собир.
    Сыпучее вещество, состоящее из частиц чего-л. раздробленного. Отделать стены мраморной крошкой. Торфяная к.
    Самое малое количество чего-л. Цепляться за любую крошку радости. < Крошку,
    в зн. нареч. Разг.
    Очень мало, чуть-чуть. Крошечка (см.).

Предмет или существо небольшого размера.
    Маленький ребёнок. Наша к. уже спит?
    Ласковое обращение (к ребёнку, женщине). * Приходи, моя милая к., Приходи посидеть вечерок (Фет). < Крошечка, -и; м. и ж. Уменьш.-ласк. Крошечка-Хаврошечка (персонаж русской народной сказки).

Словарь синонимов

крошка см. дитя, малость, карлик
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Почтенный гражданин
    Just a note that "моя крошка" gives 159000 hits in Google, while "мой крошка" gives only 17200. This word applied to a masculine person sounds really awkward to the native ear. I would not use it so. I would choose the word "малыш" when referring a masculine person.

This is a piece of a poem by Vladimir Mayakovskiy:

Крошка-сын к отцу пришел,
    и спросила кроха:
    - Что такое хорошо
    и что такое плохо?

Notice that to use masculine gender the poet had to attach "-сын" to the word "крошка". Notice also that in the second line he uses non-diminutive form of the word, "кроха" in feminine gender even though he refers to a boy.

Next verbose thread would be about Малютка

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Anixx View Post
    This is a piece of a poem by Vladimir Mayakovskiy:

Крошка-сын к отцу пришел,
    и спросила кроха:
    - Что такое хорошо
    и что такое плохо?

Notice that to use masculine gender the poet had to attach "-сын" to the word "крошка". Notice also that in the second line he uses non-diminutive form of the word, "кроха" in feminine gender even though he refers to a boy.
    Poets are known for bending rules for better rhyme or rhythm, so poems and songs are not 100% reliable in this regard (word stresses in poems are particularly "fluid"). But I agree that "спросила кроха" sounds natural enough, even if it's incorrect, strictly speaking.

Still, the question was if "сладкий крошка" is possible from grammatical point of view. It is, even if it might sound weird.
    Lampada and Crocodile like this.

Старший оракул
    Quote Originally Posted by LXNDR View Post
    in relation to humans it's only a metaphor and feminine metaphors usually aren't applied to men and vice versa
    Metaphors often doesn't depend on the gender of the person they applied to. "Она тормоз", "профессор - дубина".
    Налево пойдёшь - коня потеряешь, направо пойдёшь - сам голову сложишь.
    Прямой путь не предлагать!

Почётный участник
    - Ты мой заспанный чебурашка.
    - Не, не: чебурафка.
    - Чебурафка
    - И вроде вот это так мило, да, но так противно!
    - Да. И то, что ты заспанный небритыш-чебурашка - это натяжка.

Question: Can you use крошка in a culinary sense (as in "покрыть котлеты кошками"), or would панировка be more usual there?

Почётный участник
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post
    as in "покрыть котлеты кошками"
    панировать?

Question: Can you use крошка in a culinary sense (as in "покрыть котлеты кошками"), or would панировка be more usual there?
    обвалять в крошках/в сухарях.

обвалять в крошках/в сухарях.
    Aha, thanks! Я очень люблю готовить "русские котлеты" вместо обыкновенных гамбургеров! (Гамбургеры обожаю если они жареные на мангале или костёре, а если приходится жарить в сковороде на плите, то котлеты получаются вкуснее гамбургеров, по моему.)

Aha, thanks! Я очень люблю готовить "русские котлеты" вместо обыкновенных гамбургеров! (Гамбургеры обожаю если , когда они жареные на мангале или костёре на костре, а если приходится жарить в на сковороде на плите, то котлеты получаются вкуснее гамбургеров, по-моему.)
    ---

Quote Originally Posted by Полуношник View Post
    Metaphors often doesn't depend on the gender of the person they applied to. "Она тормоз", "профессор - дубина".
    agreed, i was talking outta side of my neck making that statement

since we're discussing applicability of adjectives in the opposite gender, your examples are right on point, we wouldn't say профессор - старый дубина, but профессор - старая дубина or not Она - тормоз, но симпатичная тормоз, but Она - тормоз, но симпатичный тормоз

so the adjectives follow the gender of the metaphor word which perfectly applies to the word крошка, and incidentally the examples here

Предмет или существо небольшого размера.
    Маленький ребёнок. Наша к. уже спит?
    Ласковое обращение (к ребёнку, женщине). * Приходи, моя милая к., Приходи посидеть вечерок (Фет). < Крошечка, -и; м. и ж. Уменьш.-ласк. Крошечка-Хаврошечка (персонаж русской народной сказки).
    only corroborate that since in none of the phrases adjective or possessive pronoun is in masculine

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12