Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Throbert McGee
  • 2 Post By maxmixiv

Thread: Интересное Предложение на русском языке

Увлечённый спикер

Интересное Предложение на русском языке

Эти последние пять красивых столов

Can anyone here give me some insight as to why пять is not in the genitive? I know that numeral 1 applies the nominative singular, 2-4 genitive singular, and 5-9 genitive plural.

By the way, what case does a number ending in 0 like 80 apply?

Or do all numbers above 9 except those ending in a 1, apply the genitive plural?

And so for example with dates, what would the year 2011 Apply, and what case does 2014 govern?

Is 2014 written out something like: двадцать четерынадцати года?

I am sorry, but the subject is very difficult.
    http://nekin.info/math/imya_chislitelnoye.htm
    I was unable to read completely, but you could try (search for "тридцать два белых платка" within the page)

I am afraid, the only robust way to learn all tricks is to deal with this stuff routinely. Just get used to it.
    In short, "пять красивых столов" is the unit, and question should be not "why пять not in genitive" but "why not "пять красивые столы". The entire unit is Nominative as I think.

Восемьдесят in my head are perceived as "восемь десятков", that is as another "composite", "eight instances of ten". The whole word восемьдесят is either Nominative or Accusative, otherwise it would be in form: восьмидесяти, восьмьюдесятью, ...

2014 has the basic form две тысячи четырнадцатый год, but also declines as needed:
    Сейчас две тысячи четырнадцатый год.
    Продаю автомобиль две тысячи четырнадцатого года выпуска.
    Закон должен быть подготовлен к две тысячи четырнадцатому году.
    Мы запомним две тысячи четырнадцатый год надолго.
    Две тысячи четырнадцатым годом я остался недоволен.
    Ни слова больше о две тысячи четырнадцатом годе.

And yes, пяти красивых столов is possible:

Около пяти красивых столов толкалось двадцать пять уродливых джентльменов.
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

Quote Originally Posted by Gottimhimmel View Post
    Эти последние пять красивых столов

Can anyone here give me some insight as to why пять is not in the genitive? I know that numeral 1 applies the nominative singular, 2-4 genitive singular, and 5-9 genitive plural.
    It's not the numbers themselves that necessarily go into the genitive singular or plural; it's the things being counted that go into the genitive even when the number itself is nominative or accusative.

Generally, as you say, numbers ending in 1 (such as 451) will be followed by a noun in the nominative singular; numbers ending in 2-4 (such as 72 or 8,075,004) will have a noun in the genitive singular, and numbers ending in 5-9 or 0 will have a noun in the genitive plural.

HOWEVER, the numbers 11-14 -- and larger numbers ending in 11-14, such as 57,912 -- are exceptions to the above; they also take the genitive plural. Thus, if you've got a jar containing 12 spiders, it's "двенадцать паука" (gen. sg. of the masculine noun паук), but if you've got 32 spiders, it's "тридцать два пауков" (gen. pl.)

And so for example with dates, what would the year 2011 Apply, and what case does 2014 govern?

Is 2014 written out something like: двадцать четерынадцати года?
    In Russian, calendar years are named with "ordinal numbers" (i.e., first, second, third...), not with "cardinal numbers" (i.e., one, two, three...). In other words, they literally say "the two thousand and fourteenth year", rather than "two thousand and fourteen." And with ordinal numbers, the above rules about putting the noun into the genitive don't automatically apply -- instead, as maxmixiv explained, the noun год will go into whatever case may be required by the grammar of the sentence, and the component "fourteenth" will then be in the same case as the noun.

HOWEVER, if you want to say, for example: "The ancient Roman poet Vergil died about 1,994 years ago," THEN you'd use a "cardinal number," and the rule about numbers ending in 2-4 (but NOT ending in 12-14!) comes back into play:

Древнеримский поэт Вергилий умер примерно (одну) тысячу девятьсот девяносто четыре года тому назад.

Here, the numbers "(one) thousand nine hundred ninety-four" are all in the accusative case, while "years" is in the genitive singular.
    Gottimhimmel likes this.
    Говорит Бегемот: "Dear citizens of MR -- please correct my Russian mistakes!"

12 spiders, it's "двенадцать паука" (gen. sg. of the masculine noun паук), but if you've got 32 spiders, it's "тридцать два пауков" (gen. pl.)
    Explanation is good but examples are messed up:
    двенадцать пауков
    тридцать два паука
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

Quote Originally Posted by maxmixiv View Post
    I am afraid, the only robust way to learn all tricks is to deal with this stuff routinely. Just get used to it.
    It was true noticed.
    I completely agree. Just get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by maxmixiv View Post
    Explanation is good but examples are messed up:
    двенадцать пауков
    тридцать два паука
    D'oh! Sorry if there was any confusion, Gottimhimmel.

(I swear I was NOT drosting punk, ossifer...)
    Говорит Бегемот: "Dear citizens of MR -- please correct my Russian mistakes!"

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Throbert McGee View Post
    D'oh! Sorry if there was any confusion, Gottimhimmel.

(I swear I was NOT drosting punk, ossifer...)
    The way I learned all this is from ordering beers.

For instance, дайте две бутылки
    Or дайте пять бутылок. Also drinking beer helps expand your mind to learn more language skills.

Quote Originally Posted by John_Douglas View Post
    The way I learned all this is from ordering beers.

For instance, дайте две бутылки
    Or дайте пять бутылок. Also drinking beer helps expand your mind to learn more language skills.
    it's important don't forget your mind will be stopped if you have drunk much alcohol