Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By pushvv
  • 1 Post By krwright
  • 2 Post By it-ogo

Thread: "до" и "перед"

"до" и "перед"

Privet.
    Can you please explain me the difference between the prepositions: "до" и "перед".
    The dictionary defines both as "before".

До обеда лучше спать. (all time before lunch)
    До города еще далеко. (long distance need to be passed before we reach the town)
    Я дошел до перекрестка. (I reached the crossroads)

Перед союзом "а" ставится запятая.
    Перед мостом поверните налево. (turn left just before the bridge)
    Поставь его перед зеркалом. (put it against the mirror)
    Перед обедом вымой руки. (wash your hands before lunch)
    Yulia65 likes this.

Pushvv's examples are very good. To my understanding,

До (genitive) - Until (up to), before
    Перед (instrumental) - In front of, (Implying just/immediately) before
    Antonio1986 likes this.

kib
    Почтенный гражданин
    Я изучаю английский язык и поэтому делаю много ошибок. Но я не прошу Вас исправлять их, Вы можете просто ткнуть меня носом в них, или, точнее, пихнуть их мне в глаза. I'm studying English, and that's why I make a lot of mistakes. But I do not ask you to correct them, you may just stick my nose into them or more exactly stick them into my eyes.
    Всё, что не делается, не всегда делается к лучшему
    Но так же не всегда всё, что не делается, не делается не к худшему. : D

In short most often "до" describes time sequence, while "перед" - space position (="in front of").

If "перед" is used for time sequence then it means "right before", "immediately before". If "до" is used for space position then it implies a kind of imaginary motion in some direction.
    maxmixiv and Antonio1986 like this.
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

Перед тем как зайти ко мне, захвати свой отчёт.
    До того как зайти ко мне, захвати свой отчёт.

They sound identical to me.
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

Based on what you all wrote I constructed the following sentences . Can you please tell me if they are correct (I am sure that there are syntax errors but please focus on the ideas):

1.До я поеду в Россию я хочу выучить русский = Before I go to Russian I want to learn Russian.
    2. Она ушла перед я приехал = She had left (immediately) before I arrived
    3. Борис Ельцин был Президент России до Владимира Путин = Boris Yeltsin was the President of Russia before Vladimir Putin.
    4. Я выучил играть на скрипке до я выучил играть фортепиано = I learned to play the violin before I learned to play the fortepiano.
    5. До Возрождения было средневековье = Before Rennaisance was the Middle Ages.
    6. Музей перед моим домом = The museum is front of my house.

До того как я поеду....
    Она ушла перед тем, как я приехал.
    был президентом до Владимира Путина
    выучился до того, как выучился

в 6 я бы добавил глагол - музей находится перед домом

1.До того, как я поеду в Россию я хочу выучить русский = Before I go to Russian I want to learn Russian.
    2. Она ушла перед тем, как я приехал = She had left (immediately) before I arrived
    3. Борис Ельцин был Президентом России до Владимира Путина = Boris Yeltsin was the President of Russia before Vladimir Putin.
    4. Я выучился играть на скрипке до того, как я выучился играть на фортепиано = I learned to play the violin before I learned to play the fortepiano.
    5. До Возрождения было средневековье = Before Rennaisance was the Middle Ages.
    6. Музей расположен перед моим домом = The museum is front of my house.

Many thanks especially pushvv and it-ogo!
    Because at my level I was not taught the "Preposition + тот, как " I couldn't understand many expressions.
    I will not ask how "До того, как" or "перед тем, как" are translated? The translation is simply: "before".
    Two conclusions:
    1. The "До того, как" or "перед тем, как" are used when I want to combine ACTS that occured on consecutive time periods (ACTS = phrases including verbs).
    2. I can also use the "после того, как" and I found the example in internet: "В Киеве мужчина угнал автомобиль соседа после того, как тот отказался его продать".
    I don't know if there are other prepositions, except "До, перед and после" used with the form"Preposition + тот, как "?

Quote Originally Posted by Antonio1986 View Post
    Many thanks especially pushvv and it-ogo!
    Because at my level I was not taught the "Preposition + тот, как " I couldn't understand many expressions.
    I will not ask how "До того, как" or "перед тем, как" are translated? The translation is simply: "before".
    Two conclusions:
    1. The "До того, как" or "перед тем, как" are used when I want to combine ACTS that occured on consecutive time periods (ACTS = phrases including verbs).
    2. I can also use the "после того, как" and I found the example in internet: "В Киеве мужчина угнал автомобиль соседа после того, как тот отказался его продать".
    I don't know if there are other prepositions, except "До, перед and после" used with the form"Preposition + тот, как "?
    Virtually any preposition.

You can think about it as following. Preposition requires an expression in some specific case (case gives an additional information). But verbs can't take cases so verbs are unacceptable immediately after a preposition. You have to transform a verb construction into something that can take cases.

Namely:
    1. Produce a noun. She had left (immediately) before I arrived. - Она уехала перед моим приездом. - She had left before my arrival.
    2. Make a complex sentence and use "то" (which can take cases) to connect clauses.
    She had left (immediately) before I arrived. - Она уехала перед тем, как я приехал. - She had left before the event that I arrived.

As far as I remember contemporary grammar classifies that constructions as conjunctions: "то, как",
    "то, что", "то, где", "то, куда" etc etc.

Examples with different prepositions.
    Я думаю о том, как мы будем жить дальше.
    Все указывает на то, что предатель - Филби.
    Дело в том, что я тебя больше не люблю.

I have been studying Russian for 3 months and the reason why I can understand Grammar so well is because I know the Greek language. Until now I believed that the structure and the grammar of Greek and Russian language are identical. I was wrong there is a difference in the construction of complex sentences (i.e. sentences with more than two acts or more than two subjects performing different acts). Until now I can conclude that in Greeks we don’t have the grammatical constructions: “чтобы” and "то, как /где/куда". I am sure that there are also others differences. I have created some example complex sentences below. If you have time please correct them, because I just want to understand the general idea in order to begin reading specific chapters of grammar.
    1. I don't know how to come to your office = Я не знаю как я приеду в твой офис.
    2. He closed the door without closing the windows = Он закрыл дверь без того, как закрыл окна.
    2. Instead of playing piano he studies literature = Вместо того, как он играет на фортепиано, он читаю литературу.
    3. Except playing piano, she plays violin = Кроме того, как он играет на фортепиано, он играет на скрипке.
    4. (VERY DIFFICULT FOR ME) Between studying in Italy, and studying in Germany, he preferred Germany = Между тем, как он изучает в Италии, и он изучает Германии, он предпочёл Италию.
    5. I don't have time to exercise = У меня нет времени для того, как практиковать.
    Thank you.

1. I don't know how to come to your office = Я не знаю как я приеду в твой офис.
    Я не знаю как пройти к вашему офису

2. He closed the door without closing the windows = Он закрыл дверь без того, как закрыл окна.
    Он закрыл дверь не закрыв окна

2. Instead of playing piano he studies literature = Вместо того, как он играет на фортепиано, он читаю литературу.
    Вместо игры на пианино он изучает литературу
    Вместо того, чтобы играть на пианино, он изучает литературу (study = изучать)

3. Except playing piano, she plays violin = Кроме того, как он играет на фортепиано, он играет на скрипке.
    Кроме пианино, она ещё играет на скрипке
    (I believe the English sentence should be: Beyond playing the piano, she also plays the violin.)

4. (VERY DIFFICULT FOR ME) Between studying in Italy, and studying in Germany, he preferred Germany
    = Между тем, как он изучает в Италии, и он изучает Германии, он предпочёл Италию.
    Из учебы в Италии и учёбы в Германии он предпочёл Италию.

5. I don't have time to exercise = У меня нет времени для того, как практиковать.
    У меня нет времени заниматься
    У меня нет времени для того, чтобы заниматься
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

I don't know how to come to your office = Я не знаю как приехать в твой офис.
    2. He closed the door without closing the windows = Он закрыл дверь, не закрывая окна.
    2. Instead of playing piano he studies literature = Вместо того, чтобы играть на фортепиано, он читает литературу.
    3. Except playing piano, she plays violin = Кроме того, что он играет на фортепиано, он играет на скрипке.
    4. (VERY DIFFICULT FOR ME) Between studying in Italy, and studying in Germany, he preferred Germany = Между обучением в Италии и в Германии, он предпочёл Германию. (как-то криво по-моему звучит)
    5. I don't have time to exercise = У меня нет времени для того, чтобы практиковаться. (У меня нет времени практиковаться).