Thread: Во спортивном комплексе

Почтенный гражданин

Во спортивном комплексе

A young man is talking with the director of the center and after knowing the different услуги ask him:
    Young man: У вас можно использовать [b]сов

I have a distinct suspiction that that mysterious [b]сов
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Завсегдатай
    Ramil's guess is great. I think the entire sentence should be so then:
    У вас можно _пользоваться велосипедами?
    Because "использовать" requires an accusative: использовать велосипеды. But your variant sounds much more closer to велосипедами.

В_ спортивном комплексе
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Почтенный гражданин

Tks and в / во

Thanks. As for в / во, admitting that Grammar just tries to put into a book what million people talk and so, what matters is what people says, I see that во is used "before words beginning with two consonants: во дворе, во сне, во взгляде". So, how can I understand "в спортивном..."?. By the way, I hear it now very clearly so pronounced by the speaker: в c.... The omission of "o" has a wider use before "words beginning ..." or is reduced just to this word?. Thanks again.

Завсегдатай
    во is used "before words beginning with two consonants
    Well, this rule just doesn't work always... I really don't know why.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Завсегдатай
    Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Neither do I. Sometimes you use different forms of в/во even before the same consonant combos. "Я видел его во плоти", но "Я увидел дыру в плотине". "Во сне", но "В снегу". "Во дворе" и "во дворце", но "в дверях". Actually, in most cases you use "в" even before two or three consonants. The only hard and fast rule I can think of is that you ALWAYS use "во" if the following word begins with "в" or "ф" immediately followed by another consonant: "Во взгляде, во Флориде, во времени, во Франции". Phrases like "во сне" и "во дворе" are very common, and I think that use of "во" in them is traditional rather than due to that two-consonant "rule."

Quote Originally Posted by Оля
    Почему, в древности так бы и сказали:
    Во славном это было зале во спортивном...
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Завсегдатай
    I agree, using 'во' "before words beginning with two consonants" is not a strict rile. There are hundreds of examples against it: в шкафу, в груди, в кресле, в правилах, в кровати, в словах, в клетке, в бреду, в драке, в строгости, etc.

So that probably means only that you can't use "во" before words beginning with one consonant or a vowel, nothing more.

PS. Sometimes "во" can be used in these phrases too, but it makes them sound intensely pompous or outdated, like you're an ancient merchant or chronicler.

Почтенный гражданин
    [quote="gRomoZeka"]I agree, using 'во' "before words beginning with two consonants" is not a strict rile. There are hundreds of examples against it: в шкафу, в груди, в кресле, в правилах, в кровати, в словах, в клетке, в бреду, в драке, в строгости, etc.
    [quote]
    There must be ( somewhere ... ) a list of allowed consonant clusters, so that if "в**" cluster of 3 letters is allowed, it is allowed in any context, and there is no need of using "во" instead.
    Russian is tough, let’s go shopping!