Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 37

Thread: You have to see it!!!

  1. #1
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    On 19 June, 1980
    Posts
    980
    Rep Power
    10

    You have to see it!!!

    I have found such an interesting inet resource about Russian slang!!! You have to visit it!!! Its amazing!!! There are a deal words I dont know!!!
    Russian slang

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Not a "bad" site.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  3. #3
    Почтенный гражданин BabaYaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    610
    Rep Power
    10
    *LOL* - lots of fun, Chuvak, thanks! Some very colourful language indeed - our Russian brethren certainly don't lack imagination!!!

    I don't think I'll be studying too much off it though..... there's this little voice in the back of my head telling me that it's not really language that a forty-plus-yr-old would normally use in everyday speech.....
    Ой, голова у меня кружится |-P ...... and my brain hurts too....

  4. #4
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    french camp
    Posts
    1,234
    Rep Power
    11
    I like the contextual quotes they are using as examples. Unfortunately, some English translations are far from accurate.
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

  5. #5
    Почтенный гражданин BabaYaga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    610
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by adoc
    Unfortunately, some English translations are far from accurate.
    - yes, I worried that that might be the case; so I'll deffo not use it as study material for the time being.......
    Ой, голова у меня кружится |-P ...... and my brain hurts too....

  6. #6
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Denmark
    Posts
    41
    Rep Power
    10
    hahaha-.........awesome site......did you look up the word ""хуй"?....we Russians just love that little word...........but I wouldn't recommend any of you to use any of this slang, 'cause it's translated to English too "nicely"....these words are reAAAAly bad

  7. #7
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Residing in an unknown place
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianHoney18
    hahaha-.........awesome site......did you look up the word ""хуй"?....we Russians just love that little word...........but I wouldn't recommend any of you to use any of this slang, 'cause it's translated to English too "nicely"....these words are reAAAAly bad
    Actually, this is the only word I've looked up on this website. To tell you the truth, there are some phrases containing this word which I never heard of! I spend loads of time talking to my friends, so I'm used to many swearwords and vulgar phrases, but I've never heard such phrases as:
    ху*м груши околачивать, х*й тебе на постном масле, and many others.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

  8. #8
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    french camp
    Posts
    1,234
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by BabaYaga
    - yes, I worried that that might be the case; so I'll deffo not use it as study material for the time being.......
    But! You can have an enormous amount of fun by memorizing the vocabulary and innocently asking your male russian friends to explain the exact meanings. Do it one-on-one and watch bearded Russian men blush like underaged girls and run for cover.
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: You have to see it!!!

    Quote Originally Posted by Chuvak
    I have found such an interesting inet resource about Russian slang!!! You have to visit it!!! It's amazing!!! There are a great deal of words I don't know!!!
    Russian slang
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    5,076
    Rep Power
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    ху*м груши околачивать, х*й тебе на постном масле, and many others.
    These phrases do exist. I even hear them on the streets (наверное, местная экзотика). But some others do not.

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    I've never heard such phrases as:
    ху*м груши околачивать, х*й тебе на постном масле, and many others.
    They exist. I use them fairly often, especially the former one. Rough translation would be "to dawdle"
    The latter one is a denial. Simply NO
    or "You'll get nothing" and can be accompanied by some vulgar gesticulation.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  12. #12
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Residing in an unknown place
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    I've never heard such phrases as:
    ху*м груши околачивать, х*й тебе на постном масле, and many others.
    They exist. I use them fairly often, especially the former one. Rough translation would be "to dawdle"
    The latter one is a denial. Simply NO
    or "You'll get nothing" and can be accompanied by some vulgar gesticulation.
    I didn't say that they do not exist at all. I just said that I never hear them. I don't use these phrases myself but if anyone said to me: "Хватит Ху*м груши околачивать", I'd definitely understand what they mean.
    I think you'll agree that these phrases aren't as popular as, say, "на х*й", "по х*ю".
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

  13. #13
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    I've never heard such phrases as:
    ху*м груши околачивать, х*й тебе на постном масле, and many others.
    They exist. I use them fairly often, especially the former one. Rough translation would be "to dawdle"
    The latter one is a denial. Simply NO
    or "You'll get nothing" and can be accompanied by some vulgar gesticulation.
    I didn't say that they do not exist at all. I've just said that I'd never heard them. I don't use these phrases myself but if anyone said to me: "Хватит Ху*м груши околачивать", I'd definitely understand what they mean.
    I think you'll agree that these phrases aren't as popular as, say, "на х*й", "по х*ю".
    You can't compare them because they have different meanings. Х#ем груши околачивать - это одно, а "на х.." и "по х.." - совсем другое.

    BTW to English speakers:
    I've just said that I've never heard them [before]

    or

    I've just said that I had never heard them before

    What will it be the Present or the Past Perfect tense?
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  14. #14
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Residing in an unknown place
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    12
    Ну ваще... Что это ты начал мой английский тут исправлять? Не надо!!! Пусть это делают носители языка.

    I've just said - I just said - почитай грамматику AmE.

    I never hear them - Я никогда не слышу их СЕЙЧАС! Или ты думаешь, что нужно обязательно с never hear употрблять Present Perfect? Или ты думаешь, что я их на том сайте УСЛЫШАЛ?? Там есть такая функция - послушать произношение? Не видел И согласование времён можно тут, я думаю, не ставить, потому что я до сих пор и слышал этих фраз.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

  15. #15
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    Ну ваще... Что это ты начал мой английский тут исправлять? Не надо!!! Пусть это делают носители языка.
    Да не парься ты. Больше не буду. Извини

    I've just said - I just said - почитай грамматику AmE.

    Я до сих пор думал, что в английском языке одна грамматика

    I never hear them - Я никогда не слышу их СЕЙЧАС! Или ты думаешь, что нужно обязательно с never hear употрблять Present Perfect?


    Да. Меня так учили, слова never и just служат признаками Perfect Tense. Одним из. Всё-таки даже по русски не звучит: Я никогда не слышу Гораздо чаще со словом никогда употребляется прошедшее время.

    C I just said может оно и так, но в I've never heard я на 99.99% уверен, пусть скажут носители. В конце-концов это их язык.

    Или ты думаешь, что я их на том сайте УСЛЫШАЛ?? Там есть такая функция - послушать произношение? Не видел И согласование времён можно тут, я думаю, не ставить, потому что я до сих пор и слышал этих фраз.

    А согласование ИМХО грамматически зависит от строения предложения, а не от контекста.

    P.S. Извини, если это тебя задело
    P.P.S. Я может и не прав с Perfect Tense
    P.P.P.S. И всё-таки I've never heard
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  16. #16
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    There was no need to correct ReD's post, it was correct.

    I never hear them = 100% present tense
    I never shop at that store, the cashier is fat and ugly.

    I've never heard them = 100% past tense
    I never heard them = just like that, I don't think it is 100%. I think the first variant is better.
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  17. #17
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    On 19 June, 1980
    Posts
    980
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    There was no need to correct ReD's post, it was correct.

    I never hear them = 100% present tense
    I never shop at that store, the cashier is fat and ugly.

    I've never heard them = 100% past tense
    I never heard them = just like that, I don't think it is 100%. I think the first variant is better.
    "I just said that I never hear them" - I think its a bit erroneous phrase...
    Maybe he wanted to say " I just said that I had never heard them"
    So he wanted to accent that in his life experience he hadnt "dropped" across those words...
    Maybe I'm wrong, If I am, please, correct me...!

  18. #18
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    "I just said" is a tricky phrase, because it is colloquial. In speech you can say it the way he wrote it.

    - I just said that "I never hear them".
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  19. #19
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Residing in an unknown place
    Posts
    1,400
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    Ну ваще... Что это ты начал мой английский тут исправлять? Не надо!!! Пусть это делают носители языка.
    Да не парься ты. Больше не буду. Извини

    I've just said - I just said - почитай грамматику AmE.

    Я до сих пор думал, что в английском языке одна грамматика

    I never hear them - Я никогда не слышу их СЕЙЧАС! Или ты думаешь, что нужно обязательно с never hear употрблять Present Perfect?


    Да. Меня так учили, слова never и just служат признаками Perfect Tense. Одним из. Всё-таки даже по русски не звучит: Я никогда не слышу Гораздо чаще со словом никогда употребляется прошедшее время.

    C I just said может оно и так, но в I've never heard я на 99.99% уверен, пусть скажут носители. В конце-концов это их язык.

    Или ты думаешь, что я их на том сайте УСЛЫШАЛ?? Там есть такая функция - послушать произношение? Не видел И согласование времён можно тут, я думаю, не ставить, потому что я до сих пор и слышал этих фраз.

    А согласование ИМХО грамматически зависит от строения предложения, а не от контекста.

    P.S. Извини, если это тебя задело
    P.P.S. Я может и не прав с Perfect Tense
    P.P.P.S. И всё-таки I've never heard
    Я просто считаю, что русских пускай исправляют англоговорящие, а англоговорящих - русские Тем более, что всё было правильно. Просто, ребят, вы кажется очень сильно к грамматике привязаны. Это, безусловно, хорошо, но не должно доходить до такого уровня, что "вижу just ставлю - Present (Past) Perfect. Вот, что я имел в виду:
    I just said I never hear them - Я просто сказал, что никогда их не слышу.
    I guess 'just' means 'simply' in my sentence.

    По-русски "никогда не слышу", возможно, звучит не очень для кого-то, но согласись, что такая фраза абсолютно верна с грамматической точки зрения

    Thank you very much, kalinka_vinnie! I'm glad that sentence of mine is correct.
    "A classic is something that everybody wants to have read and nobody wants to read"
    Mark Twain
    American author/essayist (1835-1910)
    WHSmith

  20. #20
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    On 19 June, 1980
    Posts
    980
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by ReDSanchous
    Вот, что я имел в виду:
    I just said I never hear them - Я просто сказал, что никогда их не слышу.
    I guess 'just' means 'simply' in my sentence.

    По-русски "никогда не слышу", возможно, звучит не очень для кого-то, но согласись, что такая фраза абсолютно верна с грамматической точки зрения

    Thank you very much, kalinka_vinnie! I'm glad that the sentence of mine is correct.
    Я подумал, что ты хотел сказать: Я сказал, что я никогда не слышал их...
    Maybe, you missed the article "the" before the word "sentence"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary