Results 1 to 7 of 7
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Alex80
  • 1 Post By Antonio1986
  • 2 Post By Caudilho
  • 1 Post By Throbert McGee
  • 1 Post By Marcus

Thread: so fun

  1. #1
    Увлечённый спикер
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    49
    Rep Power
    3

    so fun

    So, I'm learning my verbs of motion. And beginning to love them. They're surprisingly fun to learn, expecially when you mess around with prefixes. Anyway, could someone tell me how this would translate:

    "What did you bring me?"

    Would it be "Что ты принес мне?"

    Also

    "Did you bring me something"

    Would you say "Ты принес что-нибудь мне?

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Russia, Siberia
    Posts
    740
    Rep Power
    19
    > "What did you bring me?"
    > Would it be "Что ты принес мне?"
    > "Did you bring me something"
    > Would you say "Ты принес что-нибудь мне?

    Yes.
    fortheether likes this.

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай Antonio1986's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Пафос - Кипр
    Posts
    1,719
    Rep Power
    9
    Quote Originally Posted by kburr View Post
    So, I'm learning my verbs of motion. And beginning to love them. They're surprisingly fun to learn, expecially when you mess around with prefixes. Anyway, could someone tell me how this would translate:

    "What did you bring me?"

    Would it be "Что ты принес мне?"

    Also

    "Did you bring me something"

    Would you say "Ты принес что-нибудь мне?

    Thanks!
    Perfect. But ...
    If you stand on the pavement and your friend parks his car near to you.
    And when he opens the window of the car you ask him whether he brought you something, then your question will be:
    "Что ты привёз мне?"

    If your girlfriend took your dog for a walk.
    And when she returns you see your dog and you want to ask in an exciting way: "What you brought me?!? (The obvious answer is your over-sweet dog)" then the question will be:
    "Что ты привёл мне?"

    The Russians can verify my comment if it is correct.
    Soft sign likes this.
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.

  4. #4
    Новичок
    Join Date
    Aug 2015
    Posts
    2
    Rep Power
    0
    Quote Originally Posted by Antonio1986 View Post
    If your girlfriend took your dog for a walk.
    And when she returns you see your dog and you want to ask in an exciting way: "What you brought me?!? (The obvious answer is your over-sweet dog)" then the question will be:
    "Что ты привёл мне?"

    The Russians can verify my comment if it is correct.
    "Кого ты привёла мне?"

    Кого - a dog is an animate noun.

    Привела - the girlfriend brought his dog; a girlfriend is feminine gender.
    Lampada and Soft sign like this.

  5. #5
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,637
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by Caudilho View Post
    "Кого ты привёла мне?"

    Кого - a dog is an animate noun.

    Привела - the girlfriend brought his dog; a girlfriend is feminine gender.
    Добро пожаловать, Caudilho!
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)



  6. #6
    Завсегдатай Throbert McGee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Fairfax, VA (Фэйрфэкс, ш. Виргиния, США)
    Posts
    1,591
    Rep Power
    36
    Quote Originally Posted by Caudilho View Post
    "Кого ты привёла мне?"

    Кого - a dog is an animate noun.

    Привела - the girlfriend brought his dog; a girlfriend is feminine gender.
    I would guess that if your girlfriend found a wild hedgehog (ёжик) in the woods and brought THAT to you, it would be okay to ask her "Что ты принесла мне?" -- even though "hedgehog" is a living thing and grammatically animate, this is a wild creature, not a beloved pet. (Same as in English -- a pet can be "who," but a wild animal would normally be "what"). Also, she's probably carrying the hedgehog, and doesn't have it on a leash; thus принести instead of привести.
    Lampada likes this.
    Говорит Бегемот: "Dear citizens of MR -- please correct my Russian mistakes!"

  7. #7
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    1,340
    Rep Power
    10
    Both pets and wild animals are animate in Russian, no difference. Что мне принесла. is possible because you don't know whether it is something living or not.
    Soft sign likes this.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary