Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Medved

Thread: Question on Polite Expressions

Question on Polite Expressions

Hi, so as the title suggests, could anyone please tell me some polite expressions you can use in Russian other than "спасибо"? In your answer could you tell me the most important ones to use and the most common? Thanks.

Будьте добры, уточните, пожалуйста, конкретную область применения вежливых выражений, которые вас заинтересовали.
    Например, вежливые просьбы, вежливые вопросы и т.п., поскольку вежливых слов сотни и перечисление их всех, к сожалению, займёт слишком много времени.

P.S. Скорее всего, вы можете получить нужную вам информацию из словаря, просто находя аналоги для Excuse me и would you like.

The top 10 are:

Спасибо = thanks (neutral/informal version)
    Пожалуйста = you are welcome, please (depends on context)
    Будьте добры = be so kind (=please)
    Будьте любезны = (same)
    Извините/простите = forgive me, excuse me (depends on context)
    Прошу прощения = indirect "excuse me" / "forgive me", sorta less humiliating to the speaker.
    Мне очень жаль = it's a pity, I am sorry
    Благодарю = thank you (formal version)
    Поздравляю = my congratulations!
    Вы так любезны/добры/other appraising adjective = you are so very /kind, etc/...

(Translation: Please, be so kind as to clarify the specific type of polite expressions you are asking for, whether it be polite requests, polite questions, appraisals, other issues. Unfortunately, there are so many "expressions" to enumerate that the enumeration may take us forever. P.S. It's likely that you can find the information you would like to know by simply browsing the dictionary for the translations of words and phrases like "excuse me" or "would you like".)
    fortheether likes this.
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Medved View Post
    Будьте добры, уточните, пожалуйста, конкретную область применения вежливых выражений, которые вас заинтересовали.
    Например, вежливые просьбы, вежливые вопросы и т.п., поскольку вежливых слов сотни и перечисление их всех, к сожалению, займёт слишком много времени.

P.S. Скорее всего, вы можете получить нужную вам информацию из словаря, просто находя аналоги для Excuse me и would you like.

The top 10 are:

Спасибо = thanks (neutral/informal version)
    Пожалуйста = you are welcome, please (depends on context)
    Будьте добры = be so kind (=please)
    Будьте любезны = (same)
    Извините/простите = forgive me, excuse me (depends on context)
    Прошу прощения = indirect "excuse me" / "forgive me", sorta less humiliating to the speaker.
    Мне очень жаль = it's a pity, I am sorry
    Благодарю = thank you (formal version)
    Поздравляю = my congratulations!
    Вы так любезны/добры/other appraising adjective = you are so very /kind, etc/...

(Translation: Please, be so kind as to clarify the specific type of polite expressions you are asking for, whether it be polite requests, polite questions, appraisals, other issues. Unfortunately, there are so many "expressions" to enumerate that the enumeration may take us forever. P.S. It's likely that you can find the information you would like to know by simply browsing the dictionary for the translations of words and phrases like "excuse me" or "would you like".)
    Thanks, Medved. Sorry about the vague question, but you gave me what I was looking for. Поздравляю!