Thread: Letter To Congressional Candidate Grammar Review

Увлечённый спикер

Letter To Congressional Candidate Grammar Review

Hi, one of my friends wanted me to translate a letter he wrote to a candidate into russian. I will write the original english, then the translation I provided, I would like someone to correct
    My translation.

Dear Tim James,

Although I am all for the standardizing of English in the USA, you likely cannot give Driver License exams in one language, at least not constitutionally. There is no set national language, but, however, without one, there is nothing wrong with having government documents and exams being administered in different languages.
    I wish you the best of luck in your campaign and I hope that you can maybe one day get this approved by congress and the nation, but until then, nothing can be done legally.

Sincerely, *****. P.S: I would re-word your thoughts so people do not take them offensively.

Уважаемый Господин Тим Джэмс,

Хотя я согласен с стандартизации из английского языка в США, ты вероятно не можешь дать тесты Лицензий Водителей только на одном языке, по крайней мере, соответствии с Конституцией. В США - не официальный язык. Однако, без него, есть ничто неправильно с документами государства, и тоже, тесты, которые написание на многих языке. Желаю вам самый лучший удачи, в свою компанию, и я надеюсь, что, возможно, вы сможете когда-то получить эту утвержден в конгрессе, и в стране, но до тех пор, ничто не может быть сделано юридически.

С уважением, *****

p.s. Я бы переписать свои мысли, так люди не слышат они обидно.

Увлечённый спикер
    One thing i would definitely appreciate a smidgin of clarification on is whether for "your thoughts" i should say

Свои мысли or Ваши мысли

Почтенный гражданин
    Your translation is very awkward because you are trying too hard to keep the English word order the same as the Russian - it looks like you just used Google translate actually, or just translated word for word with a dictionary.

Also the original English is unclearly worded.

Take the first sentence: Although I am all for the standardizing of English in the USA, you likely cannot give Driver License exams in one language, at least not constitutionally.
    What does it mean: "you cannot give Driver License exams in one language"? I understand that it means "you cannot make a law mandating that Driver's License exams can only be given in one specific language" but the wording is not clear on that.

When translating you would try to understand the meaning of the sentence and reword it in a natural way in the target language.

something like this: закон, который обязывает проведение тесты на водительские права только на английском, вероятно, противоречит конституцию

At the end regarding Свои мысли or Ваши мысли, it depends. The way it's written, it should be Я бы переписал ваши мысли, but you could also reword it so that Свои мысли makes sense: Я советую вам переписать свои мысли.

Увлечённый спикер
    I can promise i didn't use an online translator. My buddy wrote this in about 2 minutes (the english, and yes i recognize it is bad) , and I really never get opportunities to translate russian, I learn from reading