Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: i went

  1. #1
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    В тумане моря голубом.
    Posts
    132
    Rep Power
    11

    i went

    How do I express completed mono-directional movement in the past?

    Вчера в час я пошёл в город.


    It seems like this means that I left, but did not necessarily get there.

  2. #2
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    14
    пошёл is the Perfective aspect so you must have completed your trip, I would have thought.
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    1,687
    Rep Power
    12
    Вчера в час я ходил в город.

    http://masterrussian.net/mforum/viewtopic.php?t=4962
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

    Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

  4. #4
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    14
    Hmm......
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    с. Хреновое Воронежской обл.
    Posts
    2,481
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by kwatts59
    Вчера в час я ходил в город.

    http://masterrussian.net/mforum/viewtopic.php?t=4962
    Правильно - шел.

  6. #6
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    c:\earth\usa\minnesota
    Posts
    819
    Rep Power
    10
    Yes...вчера в час я ходил в город is right. It implies that you went and are now back.. вчера в час я пошёл в город is kinda like...Yesterday at 1 i set off for the city....as if you left on a journey and have not yet returned.

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    с. Хреновое Воронежской обл.
    Posts
    2,481
    Rep Power
    14
    But he wants to express this:

    It seems like this means that I left, but did not necessarily get there.
    In this case you are still in the process of "going" - so шел.

  8. #8
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    c:\earth\usa\minnesota
    Posts
    819
    Rep Power
    10
    Well if he wanted to express the fact that he left and is still going...it would be вчера в час я пошёл в город because пошёл is kinda like "set off", not meaning for sure if he arrived. вчера в час я шёл would kinda be like, yesterday i was going to the city, when blah blah blah happened. шёл needs to be used when describing how one did something or describing something that happened while going.

  9. #9
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    В тумане моря голубом.
    Posts
    132
    Rep Power
    11
    See, I'm still not clear exactly. Obviously the imperfective ходить is used when saying "вчера я ходил в спотзал", but what if I am giving an account of things I did yesterday? I think what I am looking for is how to express going to a place that is in a sequence of places. "Вчера в два часа я [?] на стадион. Оттудa я [?] в университет. Наконец я [?] домой."

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    с. Хреновое Воронежской обл.
    Posts
    2,481
    Rep Power
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by saibot
    Well if he wanted to express the fact that he left and is still going...it would be вчера в час я пошёл в город because пошёл is kinda like "set off", not meaning for sure if he arrived. вчера в час я шёл would kinda be like, yesterday i was going to the city, when blah blah blah happened. шёл needs to be used when describing how one did something or describing something that happened while going.
    I think we are trying to describe two different things here.

  11. #11
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    c:\earth\usa\minnesota
    Posts
    819
    Rep Power
    10
    I think you would use пошёл for a sequence of events...because you set off from one place to the next....i may be wrong...perhaps a native speaker would like to elaborate

  12. #12
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    c:\earth\usa\minnesota
    Posts
    819
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Pravit
    Quote Originally Posted by saibot
    Well if he wanted to express the fact that he left and is still going...it would be вчера в час я пошёл в город because пошёл is kinda like "set off", not meaning for sure if he arrived. вчера в час я шёл would kinda be like, yesterday i was going to the city, when blah blah blah happened. шёл needs to be used when describing how one did something or describing something that happened while going.
    I think we are trying to describe two different things here.
    You said that you were trying to get the point across that he was still going. Thats what i explained...i think...lol

  13. #13
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    las vegas
    Posts
    1,687
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoduck
    See, I'm still not clear exactly. Obviously the imperfective ходить is used when saying "вчера я ходил в спотзал", but what if I am giving an account of things I did yesterday? I think what I am looking for is how to express going to a place that is in a sequence of places. "Вчера в два часа я [?] на стадион. Оттудa я [?] в университет. Наконец я [?] домой."
    Вчера в два часа я ходил на стадион. Оттудa я ходил в университет. Наконец я вернулся домой.
    Какая разница, умереть богатым или бедным?

    Какой толк от богатства если ты не счастлив.

  14. #14
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    c:\earth\usa\minnesota
    Posts
    819
    Rep Power
    10
    da...вернуться thats the word i was looking for...i couldnt figure out a way to say that he left and successfully made it home....good choice!

  15. #15
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16

    Re: i went

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoduck
    How do I express completed mono-directional movement in the past?

    Вчера в час я пошёл в город.


    It seems like this means that I left, but did not necessarily get there.
    It develops on how this story goes:

    1. Вчера в час я пошёл в город. По дороге встретил своего друга и решил зайти к нему на минуту.

    2. Вчера в час я пошёл в город. Походил по магазинам и вернулся.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  16. #16
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by kwatts59

    Вчера в два часа я ходил на стадион. Оттудa я ходил в университет. Наконец я вернулся домой.
    Nope, "ходил" in the second sentence means a repeating action: "Я ходил на стадион, в университет, в магазин" etc. Better: "Оттуда я пошёл в университет".
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary