Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Elope

  1. #1
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    c:\earth\usa\minnesota
    Posts
    819
    Rep Power
    10

    Elope

    What is the correct word for "to elope"? My dictionary says "тайно сбежать", but sometimes that dictionary gives messed-up translations. How would you say it?

    I was talking with a friend (kalinka_vinnie) and we were trying to figure out what happened to Pravit. So we came up with the hypothesis that he eloped with Cheburashka to Amsterdam. So...

    "он с чебурашкой тайно сбежал в Амстердам."

    Yeah..so the point is I just wanna know if that is the common word for this.

    Thanks!

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    в небе
    Posts
    2,223
    Rep Power
    13
    I think you can even leave out "тайно", just "сбежать".
    Does "elope" have the only one reason for leaving - to get married?
    If so, then I think you should mention that somehow because "сбежать" doesn't imply getting married.
    Something like "он с чебурашкой сбежал в Амстердам чтобы пожениться"

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Quote Originally Posted by net surfer
    I think you can even leave out "тайно", just "сбежать".
    Does "elope" have the only one reason for leaving - to get married?
    Merriam-Webster says that it also means to slip away.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    в небе
    Posts
    2,223
    Rep Power
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Rtyom
    Merriam-Webster says that it also means to slip away.
    Yeah and it's sort of weird because Longman's, Cambridge's and Oxford's dictionary have the only one meaning and a friend said that he'd never heard it used with "slip away" meaning.

  5. #5
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    11
    It always insinuates marriage (in most cases, a secret marriage).

    For instance, you would never say "I eloped with my horse" if you snuck out of town on a horse. Except if you were from Kentucky, or a member of "NAMHLA".

    -Fantom
    "Alright, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, so let's just figure this out and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

  6. #6
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by net surfer
    I think you can even leave out "тайно", just "сбежать".
    Does "elope" have the only one reason for leaving - to get married?
    If so, then I think you should mention that somehow because "сбежать" doesn't imply getting married.
    Something like "он с чебурашкой сбежал в Амстердам чтобы пожениться"
    That sucks! "Elope" translates to "сбежать чтобы жениться"? I guess Russians don't have a culture of eloping, since they haven't found a word for it... They are missing out!
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  7. #7
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    c:\earth\usa\minnesota
    Posts
    819
    Rep Power
    10
    Well I find this a perfect opportunity to make our own word...

    How about

    блаблаблаблабовать/поблаблаблаблабовать - to elope

    I think this word fits perfectly.

  8. #8
    Завсегдатай chaika's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Чапелхилловка, NC USA
    Posts
    1,987
    Rep Power
    17
    And Lingvo, never at a loss for words, has this:

    а) сбежать ( с возлюбленным - with )
    Mary's father would not give her permission to marry Jim as she was under age, so Jim eloped with her and they were married in Scotland, where the age limit is lower. — Отец Мери не давал согласия на ее брак c Джимом, поскольку она была несовершеннолетняя. Поэтому Мэри и Джим сбежали в Шотландию и поженились там: там возраст вступления в брак ниже.

  9. #9
    DDT
    DDT is offline
    Завсегдатай DDT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    I have given up the Gambling, the Wine and the Cows!.. I'm back now! ....nope Im gone again!
    Posts
    3,364
    Rep Power
    14
    I like поблаблаблаблабовать better!
    Let me be a free man, free to travel, free to stop, free to work, free to trade where I choose, free to choose my own teachers, free to follow the religion of my fathers, free to talk, think and act for myself. - Chief Joseph, Nez Perce

  10. #10
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    798
    Rep Power
    11
    Я поблаблаблаблабовал с моей подругой??
    -Fantom
    "Alright, brain, I don't like you and you don't like me, so let's just figure this out and I'll get back to killing you with beer."

  11. #11
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    c:\earth\usa\minnesota
    Posts
    819
    Rep Power
    10
    Si senor!!!

  12. #12
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Montreal, QC
    Posts
    479
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    That sucks! "Elope" translates to "сбежать чтобы жениться"? I guess Russians don't have a culture of eloping, since they haven't found a word for it... They are missing out!
    If you look in (at?) some old books (f. ex. F. Dostoyevski's and other guys) you can find an old expression "жениться увозом". It is exactly the same meaning as "elope".
    Find your inner Bart!

  13. #13
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    No, it's similar to abduction. Elopement is voluntary.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  14. #14
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    french camp
    Posts
    1,234
    Rep Power
    11
    Quote Originally Posted by kalinka_vinnie
    That sucks! "Elope" translates to "сбежать чтобы жениться"? I guess Russians don't have a culture of eloping, since they haven't found a word for it... They are missing out!
    If you say "Она сбежала с конюхом" (не "с конём" ), then the context is obvious.
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary