Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Antonio1986

Thread: Breakfast Cereal

Breakfast Cereal

Are these translations correct?
    Он положил семена моловши льна в своем каши. (He put ground flax seeds into his porridge.)
    Он положил семена моловши льна в своем хлопья. (He put ground flax seeds into his cereal.)

Am I correct that two other words which mean cereal are злака and зерновый, but that these two words mean cereal as in grain? Also my understanding is that хлопья means flake, but is used to refer to breakfast cereals such as corn flakes or Wheaties. I'm not sure if it would apply to cereals such as Rice Krispies, Grapenuts, or Fruit Loops. I'm not sure what breakfast cereals are available in Russia, but it would be interesting to know what the different categories are. There are so many types of cereal that it's hard to come up with useful categories, but the way I see it there are flakes, puffs, loops, granola, high fiber, instant warm cereals (oatmeal, cream of wheat), frosted, etc. just to name a few. Do Russians eat cereal for breakfast as frequently as is the case in the USA? What words are most often applied to breakfast cereal in Russia?

Почтенный гражданин
    Grammatically correct sentences (not sure about the meaning) :
    Он положил молотые семена льна в свою кашу.
    Он положил молотые семена льна в свои хлопья.

What about the word хлопья, овсяные хлопья is used to cook овсяная каша. It is a well known dish in Russia. Other kinds of хлопья are lesser-known.

As far as I understand, "breakfast cereal" is a mix of various kinds of хлопья and dried fruits. This dish has become known in Russia recently. (At least, I can not recall if it was known in my childhood.)
    My ex-girlfriend liked it very much, she ate it almost every morning. I myself had never ate it before I met her, not even knew this dish existed. Have no idea what is the correct word for this dish in Russian. I call it кукурузные хлопья.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Am I correct that two other words which mean cereal are злака and зерновый
    Злаки and зерновые. These words usually refer to the appropriate plants, not to the things you can eat.

Властелин
    the breakfast cereals = хлопья - just generic term for all this stuff in boxes and packets (which mainly implies the way they are made and sold, not what what they are made of, they can be made of anything)

cereal as a technical biological term - злак, and all derivatives

as for popularity of 'breakfast cereal' in Russia - it is more popular with children and younger people than adults (probably more popular with femals than males), and my guess is generally it's not as popular here as in the US. The common stereotype would be that it's not real food, so some stomach centered people would consider it not a substantinal meal.

In my village they are used to call "mix of various kinds of хлопья and dried fruits" мюсли (I believe).

My countrymen prefer something more "substantial" for breakfast : sausages with eggs, cheese, pastries. As Poirot says: "После такого завтрака опять потянет в постель!".
    Personally I sometimes have "old-fashioned oatmeal" for breakfast, never cold "хлопья".

https://www.google.ru/search?q=%D0%B...iw=860&bih=398
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

Quote Originally Posted by maxmixiv View Post
    In my village they are used to call "mix of various kinds of хлопья and dried fruits" мюсли (I believe).

My countrymen prefer something more "substantial" for breakfast : sausages with eggs, cheese, pastries. As Poirot says: "После такого завтрака опять потянет в постель!".
    Personally I sometimes have "old-fashioned oatmeal" for breakfast, never cold "хлопья".

https://www.google.ru/search?q=%D0%BE%D0%B2%D1%81%D1%8F%D0%BD%D1%8B%D0%B 5+%D1%85%D0%BB%D0%BE%D0%BF%D1%8C%D1%8F&num=100&new window=1&safe=off&client=firefox-a&hs=nox&rls=org.mozilla:en-GBfficial&channel=fflb&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei= WFyKVPL0GYbqUpmThLgE&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAQ&biw=860&bih=3 98
    Very interesting! Do people ever add milled (or ground) flax seeds to their oatmeal. How would you translate "He mixed ground flax seeds with his oatmeal." into Russian?

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Very interesting! Do people ever add milled (or ground) flax seeds to their oatmeal. How would you translate "He mixed ground flax seeds with his oatmeal." into Russian?
    "Он добавил молотые семена льна в овсянку"
    I know it's "MR" not "ME", but still: fix my english mistakes, please!

Do people ever add milled (or ground) flax seeds to their oatmeal.
    I don't think so. Flax seeds are not popular here.
    But sometimes sesame, raisins and almost mandatory - butter.

Last minute update:
    And, even though the night has come, my oatmeal is just ready!
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

When Russians refer to the serials that are sold to the supermarket they use the word мюсли.
    Serge_spb likes this.
    Чем больше слов, тем меньше они стоят.