Thread: Я не знаю... совершенного и несовершенного

Подающий надежды оратор

Я не знаю... совершенного и несовершенного

Alrighty, my book is really starting to confuse me. We are going over future perfective and past perfective. Perhaps I don't fully understand the future perfective, although I feel like I have a really strong grasp for what perfective and imperfective mean.

My book states:
    "Боря читает интересную книгу. Он её прочитает сегодня вечером.
    Мы сейчас обедаем. Когда мы пообедаем, мы посмотрим телевизор"

Yet when I ask people about the future tense, they say to add "буду" making the verb infinitive. At first I thought it was only the imperfective case they were talking about, but after looking through google translate, it looks like it happen in the perfective tense as well.

According to Google:
    I will eat tomorrow morning
    Я буду есть завтра утром

Завсегдатай

Re: Я не знаю... совершенного и несовершенного

If you trust Google as a translator, you'll never master Russian (or any other language).

By the way, I didn't find any concrete question in your post.

And it should be "Я не знаю... совершенный и несовершенный вид"
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Подающий надежды оратор

Lol, goes to show you that google translator sucks...

No, I went to class today and I resolved the question. My question was, though was what was the difference between past perfective and future perfective in the conjugation/suffix. I learned that past perfective uses a past tense conjugation while future tense uses the present tense.

Почтенный гражданин

Quote Originally Posted by Wyrm
    According to Google:
    I will eat tomorrow morning
    Я буду есть завтра утром
    Sorry, but it doesn't. The verb "есть" ("to eat", not "to be" here) is imperfective. "Я поем завтра утром" would be the same idea said with a perfective verb. "поесть" is a perfective verb closest to "есть". (There's one more detail: for most verbs there's no 1 to 1 correspondence between perfective and imperfective. There are dozens of ways of forming perfective in Russian, so it's better to think of them as completely different verbs.)

And yes, you should get a proper Russian-English dictionary, or at least use an online service like lingvo.ru (It isn't as throughly checked as best paper dictionaries, though.) They show if a verb you want to look up is perfective, among other things. Don't rely on auto-translators too much.
    I often edit my posts five times or so, after I've sent them. Sorry for any confusion, feel free to correct me.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by ac220
    Don't rely on auto-translators [s:foe8l79u]too much[/s:foe8l79u] at all.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

>My question was, though was what was the difference between past perfective and future perfective in the conjugation/suffix.

A comment with some generalizations.

The difference between the past suffixes/endings and the nonpast suffixes/endings has nothing to do with perfective/imperfective. All verbs have past and nonpast forms.

I use these terms because every verb with the endings -л -ла -ло -ли etc. (there are others) always mark ACTION IN THE PAST, but verbs ending in -аю, -аешь and the like do NOT mean action in the present. In fact, as you see with perfectives, these endings indicate action in neither the past nor the present. And imperfective forms do not always mean the present, they can indicate action in the past (the so-called historical present, just as in "Yesterday I ran into Joe downtown, and you know what he tells me?" ....) as well as the future, also just like English.

Perfective focuses on the result of the activity expressed by the verb, imperfective doesn't.
    Я завтра буду есть. Almost like "I'll be eating tomorrow."
    Я завтра поем. I'll definitely get something to eat tomorrow.
    (вопрос русским носителям-- эта фраза мне кажется «голой», то есть, отсутствует дополнение напр «суп». Правильно ли я понимаю тему?)
    Делай это. Do this!
    Сделай это. Get it done!
    HTH!

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    Я завтра буду есть. Almost like "I'll be eating tomorrow."
    Я завтра поем. I'll definitely get something to eat tomorrow.
    (вопрос русским носителям-- эта фраза мне кажется «голой», то есть, отсутствует дополнение напр «суп». Правильно ли я понимаю тему?)
    "Я завтра буду есть" sounds strange and unnatural. A Russian would say "Я завтра поем". And quite the opposite, you can rather say "Я завтра буду есть суп", that is it's the first sentence which is "голая" (incomplete). "Я завтра поем суп" is okay too, but has a little different nuance.

Делай это. Do this!
    Сделай это. Get it done!
    "Делай это" sounds unnatural and incomplete as it is. You can say, for instance: "Делай это каждое утро" (Do it every morning!), or just "Сделай это!" (Do it!)

Спасибо, Оля. Да, предложение "I'll be eating tomorrow." звучит ненормально. То, что я сказал не много отличается от того, что вы сказали.

А какие оттенки в предложении "Я завтра поем суп"? Внимание сосредоточится на то, что во мне завтра будет суп? Результат, а не на действие кушание, правильно?

То, что я сказал не много отличается от того:
    То, что я сказал, немного отличается от того...
    То, что я сказал, не намного отличается от того...

Perfective aspect of verbs is used with future tense to express only result of an action. It doesn't carry any sense about time, taken to do the action, whether the action is habitual or not, etc.
    And the imperfective one assumes that an action will take some time in future. And it's used for "underlining" that fact.

Я поем позже.
    Sense stress is on the "позже", and "поем" here is much better than "буду есть".

Довольно школьный пример:
    Я буду есть в течение часа.

Я буду есть апельсины, когда наступит лето.
    "есть апельсины" here sounds like some habitual thing like "I will eat oranges". And it needs imperfective aspect.
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

Завсегдатай

Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    А какие оттенки в предложении "Я завтра поем суп"? Внимание сосредоточивается на том, что во мне завтра будет суп? Результат, а не на действие кушание, правильно?
    Ну, я бы сказала, что в предложении "я затра буду есть суп" главный смысл тот, что у меня завтра на обед будет суп. Я словно говорю вам, что именно у меня будет завтра на обед.
    А в предложении "я завтра поем суп" главный акцент - на "завтра". Например: - Сынок, ну что ж ты так мало поужинал? Супчика бы поел. - Мам, ну я завтра поем суп. Сейчас спать хочу.
    Можно сказать "я завтра поем суп" и с ударением на "суп", но тогда это будет звучать очень уж как-то по-бедняцки. Как будто человек ложится спать голодный и мечтает, что завтра он поест немного супа.

Мы чаще говорим "ложится спать голодным".
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)