Thread: сотрудник

Почтенный гражданин

сотрудник

Whenever I find this word I have a doubt. In my dictionary says that it means "worker", "employee", but because of my Spanish language I think always of "co-operator", a concept beloved by the manager but that includes a different shade, a kind of will that isn't in "worker", "employee". Really a сотрудник isn't a "cooperator" but just a "worker", "employee" ? Thank you.

Re: сотрудник

Cотрудник is just a co-worker, nothing else.
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

Yes, сотрудник is either a worker, or an employee, or also a cooperator. The last one is the closest one by structure. It's like "со-труд-ник" - "тот, кто трудится вместе)", as well as the "co-operat-or" But it's used for all 3 of them depending on the exact context.

Maybe like:
    co-worker = коллега
    worker = рабочий
    employee = наёмный рабочий
    cooperator = сотрудник

At least this sounds clumsy to me: "Рабочие нашего офиса всегда ответят на Ваши вопросы". Сотрудники would fit better. So it doesn't imply that сотрудник is being co-working with someone. It's just an office-worker, employee. But it's not a worker, who works with his hands.
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

Почтенный гражданин

Thank you. I see that here the "co" is somewhat lax.