Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Место Лишение Свободы

  1. #1
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12

    Место Лишение Свободы

    What exactly does Место Лишение Свободы mean? I know that it translates to "place of deprivation of freedom", but what does it mean in terms of the Russia justice system? Is it a serious form of punishment -- actual prison? Or is it minimum security prisons or prison camps? Or is it even just house arrest? Or is it just a generic, catch-all term that means only that they were incarcerated in some capacity (any of these things I listed above)?
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    My Time & Space
    Posts
    6,559
    Rep Power
    16
    Just prison.
    «И всё, что сейчас происходит внутре — тоже является частью вселенной».

  3. #3
    JJ
    JJ is offline
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ural, Russia
    Posts
    1,390
    Rep Power
    12
    Место лишения свободы - a place of deprivation of freedom, official term for a prison or a colony/settlement.
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай kalinka_vinnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Sunnyvale, Cali
    Posts
    5,771
    Rep Power
    15
    Это дома с женой...
    Hei, rett norsken min og du er død.
    I am a notourriouse misspeller. Be easy on me.
    Пожалуйста! Исправляйте мои глупые ошибки (но оставьте умные)!
    Yo hablo español mejor que tú.
    Trusnse kal'rt eturule sikay!!! ))

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ
    Место лишения свободы - a place of deprivation of freedom, official term for a prison or a colony/settlement.
    So it can be any kind of prison facility, then?
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  6. #6
    JJ
    JJ is offline
    Властелин
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Ural, Russia
    Posts
    1,390
    Rep Power
    12
    Yep.
    Gib immer 100% bei der Arbeit: 12% am Montag, 23% am Dienstag, 40% am Mittwoch, 20% am Donnerstag, 5% am Freitag ...

  7. #7
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    257
    Rep Power
    10
    "Места не столь отдаленные" also has the same meaning.
    Единственное, что люди любят давать бесплатно - это советы.

  8. #8
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisquit
    "Места не столь отдаленные" also has the same meaning.
    How does that translate, "Places not so remote?"
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    27
    Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisquit
    "Места не столь отдаленные" also has the same meaning.
    How does that translate, "Places not so remote?"
    Exactly. But when you say that in russian, there is a whole lot of implications.

    This generally means that no one can guarantee that he'd never go to jail, so all those places (jails) are not that remote as they appear to be.
    There is also a proveb -
    "От сумы и от тюрьмы не зарекайся".
    The closest equivalent would be "never say never".
    Send me a PM if you need me.

  10. #10
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisquit
    "Места не столь отдаленные" also has the same meaning.
    How does that translate, "Places not so remote?"
    Exactly. But when you say that in russian, there is a whole lot of implications.

    This generally means that no one can guarantee that he'd never go to jail, so all those places (jails) are not that remote as they appear to be.
    There is also a proveb -
    "От сумы и от тюрьмы не зарекайся".
    The closest equivalent would be "never say never".
    So it kind of implies that prison isn't so far removed from society, so if you end up there, it isn't so bad?
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  11. #11
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    257
    Rep Power
    10
    There is also another cultural explanation. In Russian Empire criminals weren't just imprisoned but they were also banished to some places that are remote from capitals (Moscow and SPb). These places were divided in two sorts based on their distance from capitals: "места отдаленные" и "места не столь отдаленные". That is the possible origin of this phrase.

    As for "От сумы да от тюрьмы не зарекайся" it simply means that one should always be ready to get poor and be a vagabond or to be imprisoned. In Russia life is so unstable that no one can be sure of one's future. This proverb also reflects the weakness of our justice system.
    Единственное, что люди любят давать бесплатно - это советы.

  12. #12
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    How does сумы translate? I couldn't find a definition...
    And thanks for the background -- that makes much more sense when you apply it in that context.
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  13. #13
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Almaty (former Alma-Ata), Kazakhstan
    Posts
    920
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    How does сумы translate? I couldn't find a definition...
    And thanks for the background -- that makes much more sense when you apply it in that context.
    Сума = bag. "С сумой пустить кого-нибудь" (literally "make somebody go with a bag") - заставить нищенствовать, довести до разорения (make somebody go begging, beggar, ruin somebody financially)

    So "От сумы да от тюрьмы не зарекайся" = "Don't say/think you will never become a beggar or get in jail"
    Please correct my mistakes if you can, especially article usage.
    My avatar shall be the author I'm currently reading.

  14. #14
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Vadim84
    Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    How does сумы translate? I couldn't find a definition...
    And thanks for the background -- that makes much more sense when you apply it in that context.
    Сума = bag. "С сумой пустить кого-нибудь" (literally "make somebody go with a bag") - заставить нищенствовать, довести до разорения (make somebody go begging, beggar, ruin somebody financially)

    So "От сумы да от тюрьмы не зарекайся" = "Don't say/think you will never become a beggar or get in jail"
    Got it. Спазипа!
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  15. #15
    Завсегдатай Ramil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Other Universe
    Posts
    8,501
    Rep Power
    27
    [quote=Бармалей]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramil
    Quote Originally Posted by "Бармалей":2jf1d9c7
    Quote Originally Posted by Bisquit
    "Места не столь отдаленные" also has the same meaning.
    How does that translate, "Places not so remote?"
    Exactly. But when you say that in russian, there is a whole lot of implications.

    This generally means that no one can guarantee that he'd never go to jail, so all those places (jails) are not that remote as they appear to be.
    There is also a proveb -
    "От сумы и от тюрьмы не зарекайся".
    The closest equivalent would be "never say never".
    So it kind of implies that prison isn't so far removed from society, so if you end up there, it isn't so bad?[/quote:2jf1d9c7]

    The orange part is slighly wrong.
    Don't think that you are safe of getting poor or imprisoned. This can happen to anybody. ($hit happens).
    Literally about that phrase: when you get overconfident in smth. you start to think that you're far from any failure and "the places" we speak are far away from you. Remember - anything can happen to you at any moment.
    Send me a PM if you need me.

Similar Threads

  1. Факел свободы.
    By Ленивец in forum Fun Stuff
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: January 30th, 2010, 01:48 PM
  2. Такое место
    By Ilkay in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: August 1st, 2007, 02:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary