Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: идти/ходить

  1. #1
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    10

    идти/ходить

    When should I use идти and when ходить?

    I know the verb represent uni- and multidirectional forms, but why do you say e.g. В свободное время я хожу в театры. and not иду?
    Please correct my Russian or English. Спасибо большое!

  2. #2
    Завсегдатай chaika's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    Чапелхилловка, NC USA
    Posts
    1,987
    Rep Power
    16
    because that is a general statement, so the going is many times (more than once at least). Repeated actions take the imperfective form. If you said In my free time on Friday I'm going to the theater [one time action], then you would use идти.

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: идти/ходить

    Why not?

    В свободное время я хожу в театры.
    Когда я бываю свободен, я иду в театр.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15

    Re: идти/ходить

    Quote Originally Posted by jz12
    When should I use идти and when ходить?

    I know the verb represent uni- and multidirectional forms, but why do you say e.g. В свободное время я хожу в театры. and not иду?
    Because иду would 1. Stress the fact of GOING not 'the theatre'. Secondly it would also imply you go to the theatre and don't go home again (one direction, you see).

    ходить is used for repeated habitual actions.
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  5. #5
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    because that is a general statement, so the going is many times (more than once at least). Repeated actions take the imperfective form. If you said In my free time on Friday I'm going to the theater [one time action], then you would use идти.
    Thanks

    There are two forms of "moving" verbs. Uni- and Multidirectional. So the uni verb belongs to Imperfective Aspect, and the Multi belongs to Perfective? Right? But there is a third form of to go, I can't remember, in a verb book I saw it like this: идти (Unidirectional), ходить (Multidirectional), and a third form as perfective.
    Please correct my Russian or English. Спасибо большое!

  6. #6
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    10

    Re: идти/ходить

    Quote Originally Posted by TATY
    Quote Originally Posted by jz12
    When should I use идти and when ходить?

    I know the verb represent uni- and multidirectional forms, but why do you say e.g. В свободное время я хожу в театры. and not иду?
    Because иду would 1. Stress the fact of GOING not 'the theatre'. Secondly it would also imply you go to the theatre and don't go home again (one direction, you see).

    ходить is used for repeated habitual actions.
    Ahh. Thanks. Hmm. So if you say Я иду в кино. you mean you will live in the cinema? or going there once?
    Please correct my Russian or English. Спасибо большое!

  7. #7
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by jz12
    Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    because that is a general statement, so the going is many times (more than once at least). Repeated actions take the imperfective form. If you said In my free time on Friday I'm going to the theater [one time action], then you would use идти.
    Thanks

    There are two forms of "moving" verbs. Uni- and Multidirectional. So the uni verb belongs to Imperfective Aspect, and the Multi belongs to Perfective? Right? But there is a third form of to go, I can't remember, in a verb book I saw it like this: идти (Unidirectional), ходить (Multidirectional), and a third form as perfective.
    No, you assumtion is wrong on both counts. Multidirectional is closer in definition to imperfective, and unidirectional is closer to perfective. But anyway there are two forms of both:

    Unidirectional, of which there is a perfective and imperfective form.
    Multidirectional, of which there is a perfective and imperfective form:

    Multi (imp/perf.): Ходить / (Походить)*
    Uni (imp/perf.): Идти / Пойти

    *The multidirectional perfective is not used much.

    That is not the whole picture because you can stick loads of prefixes onto the verbs to make new forms.

    Multidirectional and unidirectioanl labelling is to do with DIRECTION.
    Imperfective and Perfective labelling is to do with COMPLETION of an action. The two are generally independant of each other.
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  8. #8
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by TATY
    Quote Originally Posted by jz12
    Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    because that is a general statement, so the going is many times (more than once at least). Repeated actions take the imperfective form. If you said In my free time on Friday I'm going to the theater [one time action], then you would use идти.
    Thanks

    There are two forms of "moving" verbs. Uni- and Multidirectional. So the uni verb belongs to Imperfective Aspect, and the Multi belongs to Perfective? Right? But there is a third form of to go, I can't remember, in a verb book I saw it like this: идти (Unidirectional), ходить (Multidirectional), and a third form as perfective.
    No, you assumtion is wrong on both counts. Multidirectional is closer in definition to imperfective, and unidirectional is closer to perfective. But anyway there are two forms of both:

    Unidirectional, of which there is a perfective and imperfective form.
    Multidirectional, of which there is a perfective and imperfective form:

    Multi (imp/perf.): Ходить / (Походить)*
    Uni (imp/perf.): Идти / Пойти

    *The multidirectional perfective is not used much.

    That is not the whole picture because you can stick loads of prefixes onto the verbs to make new forms.

    Multidirectional and unidirectioanl labelling is to do with DIRECTION.
    Imperfective and Perfective labelling is to do with COMPLETION of an action. The two are generally independant of each other.
    Ok. I mixed it up I meant Multidirectional is closer in definition to imperfective, and unidirectional is closer to perfective.
    Please correct my Russian or English. Спасибо большое!

  9. #9
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    Quote Originally Posted by jz12
    Quote Originally Posted by TATY
    Quote Originally Posted by jz12
    Quote Originally Posted by chaika
    because that is a general statement, so the going is many times (more than once at least). Repeated actions take the imperfective form. If you said In my free time on Friday I'm going to the theater [one time action], then you would use идти.
    Thanks

    There are two forms of "moving" verbs. Uni- and Multidirectional. So the uni verb belongs to Imperfective Aspect, and the Multi belongs to Perfective? Right? But there is a third form of to go, I can't remember, in a verb book I saw it like this: идти (Unidirectional), ходить (Multidirectional), and a third form as perfective.
    No, you assumtion is wrong on both counts. Multidirectional is closer in definition to imperfective, and unidirectional is closer to perfective. But anyway there are two forms of both:

    Unidirectional, of which there is a perfective and imperfective form.
    Multidirectional, of which there is a perfective and imperfective form:

    Multi (imp/perf.): Ходить / (Походить)*
    Uni (imp/perf.): Идти / Пойти

    *The multidirectional perfective is not used much.

    That is not the whole picture because you can stick loads of prefixes onto the verbs to make new forms.

    Multidirectional and unidirectioanl labelling is to do with DIRECTION.
    Imperfective and Perfective labelling is to do with COMPLETION of an action. The two are generally independant of each other.
    Ok. I mixed it up I meant Multidirectional is closer in definition to imperfective, and unidirectional is closer to perfective.
    It's still a very loose connection. The two are not really linked, it's best not to confuse direction with completion, or vice versa. They should be thought of seperately.
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  10. #10
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Анкара
    Posts
    305
    Rep Power
    10
    the verb ''идти'' is mostly used for the actions take place in present time.ходить is for kinda more general actions.
    Главное что есть ты у меня...

  11. #11
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Орчун
    the verb ''идти'' is mostly used for the actions take place in present time.ходить is for kinda more general actions.
    Absolutely NOT correct. You will frequently see it in the past and future tense. What have you been smoking?
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  12. #12
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Seventh
    Posts
    4,113
    Rep Power
    15
    [quote=Бармалей]
    Quote Originally Posted by "Орчун":1p9wsp74
    the verb ''идти'' is mostly used for the actions take place in present time.ходить is for kinda more general actions.
    Absolutely NOT correct. You will frequently see it in the past and future tense. What have you been smoking?[/quote:1p9wsp74]

    I think he means Идти is more to do with the decription of a current event (current can be in the past, as in I WAS walkING).

    Я хожу в кино may be in the present tense but it is not really talking about an actual current event. I.e. "Every week I go to the cinema", is not talking about a current action.

    Я иду в кино is like "Right now I am walking to the cinema".
    Ingenting kan stoppa mig
    In Post-Soviet Russia internet porn downloads YOU!

  13. #13
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    88
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Орчун
    the verb ''идти'' is mostly used for the actions take place in present time.ходить is for kinda more general actions.
    Yeah. Like,
    Что ты делаешь в свободное время?
    Я хожу в театры.

    Сейчас что ты делаешь?
    Я иду в театр.

    Right?
    Please correct my Russian or English. Спасибо большое!

  14. #14
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    [quote=TATY]
    Quote Originally Posted by Бармалей
    Quote Originally Posted by "Орчун":2zxz535k
    the verb ''идти'' is mostly used for the actions take place in present time.ходить is for kinda more general actions.
    Absolutely NOT correct. You will frequently see it in the past and future tense. What have you been smoking?
    I think he means Идти is more to do with the decription of a current event (current can be in the past, as in I WAS walkING).

    Я хожу в кино may be in the present tense but it is not really talking about an actual current event. I.e. "Every week I go to the cinema", is not talking about a current action.

    Я иду в кино is like "Right now I am walking to the cinema".[/quote:2zxz535k]

    Well, then I'm glad we have you here to translate his English to English. That DOES make sense. However, given Орчун's history of being an assclown and talking out of his backside, there's no telling what he meant. I was hoping he had gone away to never return -- maybe even run over by a pack of stampeding sheep or something...
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  15. #15
    Властелин
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    1,348
    Rep Power
    11

    Re: идти/ходить

    Quote Originally Posted by TATY
    Quote Originally Posted by jz12
    When should I use идти and when ходить?

    I know the verb represent uni- and multidirectional forms, but why do you say e.g. В свободное время я хожу в театры. and not иду?
    Because иду would 1. Stress the fact of GOING not 'the theatre'. Secondly it would also imply you go to the theatre and don't go home again (one direction, you see).

    ходить is used for repeated habitual actions.
    I don't think "idu" suggests that you do not go home again. "segodnja vecherom ja idu v kino" does not mean that you are not coming back.

    "idu" does have a sence of certainty in this context imo, and feels weird. You can say, e.g., "По традиции 31 декабря мы с друзьями идём в баню...", where "idem" vmesto "hodim" reinforces the feeling of certainty that comes from the fact that this is an established tradition from which they do not deviate.

    Also only "hodit'" works in the past tense: "vchera ja hodil v teatr" is OK, but "ja shel v teatr" would only be used when talking about something that happened to you on your way to the theater.

  16. #16
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Анкара
    Posts
    305
    Rep Power
    10
    тату understood what i meant to say.I couldn't explain it properly.Actually what i meant to say was told by тату lol tnx tatu Btw Barmaley i've been smoking pot with those girls in your avatar
    Главное что есть ты у меня...

  17. #17
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Serving Polonium-flavoured Sake at a London Japanese Restaurant
    Posts
    2,662
    Rep Power
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Орчун
    Btw Barmaley i've been smoking pot with those girls in your avatar
    Doubtful. More likely is that you smoked pot with a couple of your stoner friends and you just thought they were women (just as they thought you were). Then it got messy...
    Заранее благодарю всех за исправление ошибок в моём русском.

  18. #18
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Анкара
    Posts
    305
    Rep Power
    10
    ain't funny at all.I can distinguish a woman it doesn't matter how high am i
    Главное что есть ты у меня...

Similar Threads

  1. Ходить в университет = быть студентом ?
    By doninphxaz in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: October 12th, 2007, 10:52 PM
  2. ходить идти
    By Ilkay in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: July 20th, 2007, 03:43 PM
  3. ходить stemmed verbs
    By shadow1 in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: August 16th, 2006, 06:24 AM
  4. Идти в гости
    By Vladi in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 23rd, 2006, 12:56 PM
  5. идти
    By zomby_pengy in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: May 19th, 2006, 02:30 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary