Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By maxmixiv

Thread: заходить и входить

заходить и входить

Привет!
    Какая разница?

In most direct meaning of these words, I cannot see any difference.
    Both have however various "use cases", then you have to choose the appropriate one, for example:

1)
    заходить = to visit
    Да, он заходил ко мне на прошлой неделе.
    2)
    входить = to take part
    Подметать двор не входит в мои обязанности.
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

Старший оракул
    Actually, it is a hard question to answer just because either verb has multiple meanings. And they partially intersect.

Antonio, could you provide a context to make it easier to explain?

Otherwise,
    входить can mean:
    - to enter (a place) by walking: входить в комнату;
    - to be a member of, to take part in: see Maximixiv's example.

заходить can mean:
    - to make a short visit to a place by walking: заходить в магазин по дороге домой;
    - the same as "входить" in its first meaning, this is sometimes used colloquially: можете заходить (в комнату)! = можете входить (в комнату)!
    - to walk into a place behind something: заходить за дом;
    - to walk too far: не заходи слишком далеко!
    - to go too far (figuratively): Он зашёл слишком далеко со своими претензиями!

Thank you for the additional definitions but the only thing I was interested in was that both mean: "enter".
    What I understood from my experience.
    1. When a man standing outside my closed door and he is knocking the door I say to him: Войдите пожалуйста!
    2. When a man standing outside my open door and he is watching me (asking for permission to enter) I say to him: Зайдите пожалуйста!

Старший оракул
    Yes, I would say it makes sense considering the scenario as you described it.
    In this situation, you use "войдите" when someone is already about to enter waiting for you to open the door for him.
    On the contrary, "зайдите" is better when someone is outside and you see him hesitating whether to enter your home or to stay outside (if you prefer to talk to him outside). Actually, "заходить/зайти" (as opposed to "входить/войти") carries an additional nuance of "making a very short visit", just maybe for a few minutes to have a talk. So, if your guest wants to talk to you (no matter where, inside or outside), you have two options: 1) to exit your home to talk with him; 2) to invite him for a short visit by "зайдите". Although, "войдите" is not impossible in this situation, but "зайдите" definitely fits better.

And yes, if someone is already knocking at the door, he is supposedly intended to enter your home. So, you invite him with "войдите" (come in). If you said "зайдите" in this situation, it would sound as you limit his time of visit by a few minutes only, and then he must leave. Which is definitely impolite if someone comes to see you.

Входите/Заходите are better than Войдите/Зайдите and they mean the SAME to me.
    Antonio1986 likes this.
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."

Старший оракул
    Not always the same. Compare some situations:

1. Someone is waiting for you outside near your home. He just wants to have a talk with you. And he does not ask for a permission to enter. But you decide to invite him since you prefer to talk at your home. Then you call: Зайдите! or Зайдите на минуту!

2. Someone is standing behind your door waiting for a permission to enter. You asked him to wait for a couple of minutes since you were busy. Finally, you say: Заходите! or Входите!

3. An unexpected visitor comes to you suddenly. Then you can say: Войдите! or Входите! And "войдите" fits better.