Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: "Заманчивая возможность"?

  1. #1
    Властелин Valda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Израиль
    Posts
    1,294
    Rep Power
    10

    "Заманчивая возможность"?

    Что это значить?

    Пока нашла что заманчивая значить "soaking", "soaking opportunity" не имеет смысл по-английски.

    Это из учебника шахмат:

    Здесь у белых есть очень заманчивая возможность закусить пешкой a6 ходом Лa6+. Это бесплатная пешка, но здесь есть ход и получше. Здесь ход белых. Найдите лучший ход.
    "Особенно упорно надо заниматься тем, кто ничего не знает." - Като Ломб

    "В один прекрасный день все ваши подспудные знания хлынут наружу. Ощущения при этом замечательные, уверяю вас." -Кто-то

  2. #2
    Почётный участник
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    123
    Rep Power
    10
    That's simple: a "tempting" opportunity, which is hard to resist. The textbook says that in this arrangement it is hard for White player to resist the temptation to go a6 - yet, there exists a better move.

  3. #3
    Властелин Medved's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Wonderland of Russia
    Posts
    1,202
    Rep Power
    23
    I don't know where you found soaking, because заманчивый = tempting, enticing.
    So заманчивая возможность is kinda like temptation (искушение).
    Another month ends. All targets met. All systems working. All customers satisfied. All staff eagerly enthusiastic. All pigs fed and ready to fly.

  4. #4
    Paul G.
    Guest
    "Заманчивое" is like "tempting" in "tempting offer". So, in your context it's just a "good chance", "propitious occasion" which attract a player.
    Finally, "иметь заманчивую возможность" means "to see/have a tempting chance/opportunity to do something".

  5. #5
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    865
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Valda View Post
    Что это значить?

    Пока нашла что заманчивая значить "soaking", "soaking opportunity" не имеет смысл по-английски.

    Это из учебника шахмат:

    Здесь у белых есть очень заманчивая возможность закусить пешкой a6 ходом Лa6+. Это бесплатная пешка, но здесь есть ход и получше. Здесь ход белых. Найдите лучший ход.
    1. Что это значит?

    2. Let me guess. You may have mistyped "заманчивая" as "замачивая" when checking your dictionary
    That's why you came up with "soaking"... "Замачивать" is a verb which roughly means "to soak smth.". So, "замачивая" is the verbal adverb of that verb.

    But the right word is "заманчивая" ("заманчивый" - "tempting", adjective).

  6. #6
    Властелин Valda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Израиль
    Posts
    1,294
    Rep Power
    10
    Quote Originally Posted by Боб Уайтман View Post
    1. Что это значит?

    2. Let me guess. You may have mistyped "заманчивая" as "замачивая" when checking your dictionary
    That's why you came up with "soaking"... "Замачивать" is a verb which roughly means "to soak smth.". So, "замачивая" is the verbal adverb of that verb.

    But the right word is "заманчивая" ("заманчивый" - "tempting", adjective).
    hah! You're right. We found the culprit

    Spasibo, everyone!

    1. Что это значит?
    Huh. I've been saying значить for over a year now, you're the first one who corrected me on that. Thank you!
    "Особенно упорно надо заниматься тем, кто ничего не знает." - Като Ломб

    "В один прекрасный день все ваши подспудные знания хлынут наружу. Ощущения при этом замечательные, уверяю вас." -Кто-то

  7. #7
    Старший оракул
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Russia
    Posts
    865
    Rep Power
    26
    Quote Originally Posted by Valda View Post
    hah! You're right. We found the culprit
    I'm glad

    Huh. I've been saying значить for over a year now, you're the first one who corrected me on that. Thank you!
    Значить - infinitive form (to mean, to signify).

    Значит - 3rd person singular, present tense (it means, it signifies).

    Что бы это могло значить? - What could it mean?
    Это значит следующее: ... - It means the following...

  8. #8
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    8
    а если речь о возможности замочить кого-то - тогда "замочителная возможность"?

  9. #9
    Властелин iCake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Siberia, the Earth
    Posts
    1,176
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Douglas View Post
    а если речь о возможности замочить кого-то - тогда "замочителная возможность"?
    Firsty, it would be замочительная if it were a word
    Secondly, it is возможность замочить
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

  10. #10
    Moderator Lampada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    СССР -> США
    Posts
    17,637
    Rep Power
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by iCake View Post
    Firsty, it would be замочительная if it were a word ...
    if it were such a word

  11. #11
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    209
    Rep Power
    8
    I was just trying to come up with a nice pun. For example:
    как вам понравился аквапарк?
    Это было замочитильно!
    Does it make sense?

  12. #12
    Властелин iCake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Siberia, the Earth
    Posts
    1,176
    Rep Power
    28
    Quote Originally Posted by John_Douglas View Post
    I was just trying to come up with a nice pun. For example:
    как вам понравился аквапарк?
    Это было замочитильно!
    Does it make sense?
    Sorry, that doesn't work like that
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Similar Threads

  1. Какая разница между: "ездить" и "ехать".
    By Antonio1986 in forum Grammar and Vocabulary
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: April 16th, 2013, 11:18 AM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last Post: May 8th, 2012, 08:49 AM
  3. Replies: 12
    Last Post: November 22nd, 2010, 08:37 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: March 24th, 2010, 04:03 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: February 17th, 2009, 08:07 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary