Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Его прорыли в эпоху самонидов.

  1. #1
    Завсегдатай sperk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    США
    Posts
    2,284
    Rep Power
    13

    Его прорыли в эпоху самонидов.

    Why is его used for an inanimate thing?
    thanks!!

    Это подземный ход. Выходит к берегу моря.
    Его прорыли в эпоху самонидов. Последние 400 лет им никто
    не пользовался.
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

  2. #2
    Почтенный гражданин
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    176
    Rep Power
    7

    Re: Его прорыли в эпоху самонидов.

    Quote Originally Posted by sperk
    Why is его used for an inanimate thing?
    thanks!!

    Это подземный ход. Выходит к берегу моря.
    Его прорыли в эпоху самонидов. Последние 400 лет им никто
    не пользовался.
    Pronouns are always "animate" for this purpose.

    -Видишь вон тот грузовик?
    -Да, вижу его хорошо.

    -Видишь того зайца?
    -Да, вижу его хорошо.



    Or did I misunderstood you? Seriously, maybe it's me not yet being fully awake, but I can't even imagine what else might be there.

    P.S. Who or what were "самониды" and should they be written with capital "С"?
    I often edit my posts five times or so, after I've sent them. Sorry for any confusion, feel free to correct me.

  3. #3
    Завсегдатай sperk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    США
    Posts
    2,284
    Rep Power
    13

    Re: Его прорыли в эпоху самонидов.

    Quote Originally Posted by ac220
    Or did I misunderstood you? Seriously, maybe it's me not yet being fully awake, but I can't even imagine what else might be there.

    P.S. Who or what were "самониды" and should they be written with capital "С"?
    Thanks, I probably should have know that but my brains' kind of fried at the moment.
    "самониды" = Samanid Dynasty, whatever that is. This is from the movie Белое солнце пустыни.
    Кому - нары, кому - Канары.

  4. #4
    Завсегдатай it-ogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Ukraine
    Posts
    3,049
    Rep Power
    26

    Re: Его прорыли в эпоху самонидов.

    Quote Originally Posted by sperk
    "самониды" = Samanid Dynasty, whatever that is. This is from the movie Белое солнце пустыни.
    Yes, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samanids
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?

  5. #5
    Завсегдатай
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Russland
    Posts
    9,882
    Rep Power
    19

    Re: Его прорыли в эпоху самонидов.

    Quote Originally Posted by sperk
    Why is его used for an inanimate thing?
    Because ход is masculine, so it's "он, его". It doesn't matter if it's animate or inanimate.
    In Russian, all nationalities and their corresponding languages start with a lower-case letter.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Russian Lessons                           

Russian Tests and Quizzes            

Russian Vocabulary