Thread: В западных странах...

Почтенный гражданин

В западных странах...

Once again I need your help. Which sentence would you choose to fill in the blank in the following paragraph? Also, can someone translate (c) and (d)?

-----

В западных странах распространено чековое обращение. Если у кого-либо на чековом счете 1000 долларов, то этот депозит (счет) можно рассматривать как деньги, потому что вы можете оплачивать покупки с помощью чеков. __________. Хранение денег на текущих счетах и расплата чеками получило в странах с развитой рыночной экононикой наибольшее распространение, поскольку это безопасно и удобно.

a) Чеком можно выплатить долг.

b) Кроме того, во многих случаях более удобно выписывать чек, чем транспортировать и подсчитывать большие суммы в наличных.

c) К безналичным деньгам можно отнести кредитные карточки, а также дорожные чеки.

d) Лицо, выкравшее чек, затем получает его погашенным в качестве заверенной квитанции, подтверждающей выполнение обязательства.

e) В силу этих причин деньги безналичного расчета стали основной формой денег в нашей экономике.

Властелин
    b)
    I've got a TV, and I'm not afraid to use it

Почтенный гражданин
    I think the answer is not b. By the way, are you sure that the word in d) is 'выкравшее'? It must be 'выписавшее' or 'выдавшее'

Почтенный гражданин

выкравшее

Quote Originally Posted by Rostova
    I think the answer is not b. By the way, are you sure that the word in d) is 'выкравшее'? It must be 'выписавшее' or 'выдавшее'
    According to the textbook the answer is (a), but I also thought that it's (b).

It's printed "выкравшее" in the textbook.

Почтенный гражданин
    It is not b) just because there is a phrase 'кроме того' at the beginnig. It sounds like in the previous sentence were described the other advantages of checks
    With a word 'выкравшее' sentence d) is absolutely meaningless

Властелин
    b) connects the second sentence and the fourth. If you put b) in the paragraph, there is a flow and logic. A) is a general statement that connects nothing. Throw this textbook, its author is a moron who can't tell logic from LSD. He is probably a Russian poet . Rostova thinks the answer is not b) but apparently she does not know what the answer is. From now on I am not discussing these "exercises".

Властелин
    Quote Originally Posted by Rostova
    It is not b) just because there is a phrase 'кроме того' at the beginnig. It sounds like in the previous sentence were described the other advantages of checks
    'кроме того' has many uses. It may mean "кроме этого факта есть ещё один факт", less likely though. In addition, it can be viewed as pointing to another advantage of the banking system (sentence number one plus sentence number two). In fact, none of the sentences are perfect. It's up to the reader to decide what is more important, traces of coherence or the absence of irrelevancies. d) does not make sense and THIS IS THE REASON why it cannot be the right answer.