Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By perrea
  • 1 Post By Milanya
  • 1 Post By RedFox
  • 1 Post By maxmixiv

Thread: Урони пистолет! или Брось пистолет! ??

Подающий надежды оратор

Урони пистолет! или Брось пистолет! ??

Well actually I'm trying to get the "flavor", the sense, озночение(?) of the difference in these two words. Trying to get in my mind where they should be used.

E.G. "Don't drop the hammer." Drop your attitude!

I thought брось would mean "throw or toss" away. Would Russian parents say to their teenagers?-- Брось твое настроение/ Брось настроение ! As we say "Drop the attitude!"

In the doctors office I dropped my pants. I dropped all my classes this semester. I need to drop a a difficult class.

Спасибо!
    Antonio1986 likes this.

Урони пистолет! или Брось пистолет! ??
    С пистолетом проще: Брось (бросай) оружие!
    Would Russian parents say to their teenagers?-- Брось твое настроение/ Брось настроение ! As we say "Drop the attitude!"
    Я думаю, что родители могут сказать: Прекрати (перестань) так себя вести. (плакать, баловаться, грубить, и т.д.)
    I dropped my pants.
    Я спустил штаны.
    I dropped all my classes this semester. I need to drop a a difficult class.
    В моё время так сделать было нельзя. Предметы по отдельность не выбирали. Занимались по программе всем классом/курсом. One could drop out of school (бросить школу/ институт) but could not drop a class.
    Antonio1986 likes this.
    Контекст - (от лат. contextus - соединение - связь), относительно законченный отрывок письменной или устной речи (текста), в пределах которого наиболее точно выявляется значение отдельных входящих в него слов, выражений и т. п.

Почтенный гражданин
    бросить что-либо - to throw something (away/down/in some direction)
    бросить делать что-либо - to stop doing something (Also, бросить школу/учёбу - to drop school.)
    бросить кого-либо - to leave someone

уронить что-либо/кого-либо - to drop something or someone from its/his/her usual position/state (intentionally or accidentally)

сбросить - to drop something or someone down from some surface
    Сбросить is more "active" action than уронить. Сбросить also implies "falling down", but уронить does not.

выронить что-либо - to drop something down from one's hands accidentally (not intentionally)

"Урони пистолет!" sounds as if пистолет is on some surface, not in one's hands. So you should say "Брось пистолет!"
    Antonio1986 likes this.

(Also, бросить школу/учёбу - to drop out of school.)
    бросить - implies an intention
    уронить - implies an absence intention
    сбросить - to drop something or someone down from some surface
    сбросить - can be intentional or unintentional, depending on context.
    Контекст - (от лат. contextus - соединение - связь), относительно законченный отрывок письменной или устной речи (текста), в пределах которого наиболее точно выявляется значение отдельных входящих в него слов, выражений и т. п.

Почтенный гражданин
    Quote Originally Posted by Milanya View Post
    уронить - implies an absence intention
    not quite right
    уронить can be intentional. The main difference between бросить and уронить is that бросить basically means to throw an object in any direction(or quit doing something or leave someone) and it's always intentional while уронить means to make intentional or non intentional action that would cause an object to fall down.

бросить also requires possession of an object before the action while уронить does not always require it, for example: let's say there is a vase on pedestal and you bumped to the pedestal causing the vase to fall down, theoretically someone could look at that and say that you "уронил(а) вазу" even that you haven't touched the vase.

уронить could also be figurative, as in уронить честь that means to lose honor

As we say "Drop the attitude!"
    It's impossible to drop attitudes in Russian, but we have a set phrase "Ты это брось!", meaning "Stop behaving that way".
    Example:
    - Мама, я решил бросить школу!
    - Ты брось мне эти шуточки!
    Soft sign likes this.
    "Невозможно передать смысл иностранной фразы, не разрушив при этом её первоначальную структуру."