Thread: "Свяжите меня!"

JPX
    Новичок

"Свяжите меня!"

Hello. I came across this phrase on mail.ru or Yandex.clubs or somewhere, I can't remember the context. (My Russian is probably too poor for me to have understood it, anyway.) I'm intrigued by it because Google Translate translates it as "Get me!" whereas "свяжите" seems to literally translate to "tie." Interestingly, Google Translate has "Свяжи меня!" as "Bind me!"

Can somebody tell me a more complete definition and in what context it would be used?

This phrase means - tie me up! (literally) - for me. It's hard to think of this phrase in any other context, there may be too many of them
    I do not claim that my opinion is absolutely true.
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

Could be Tie me up please before I did something stupid.
    Or it could be Could you please put me in touth with him
    "...Важно, чтобы форум оставался местом, объединяющим людей, для которых интересны русский язык и культура. ..." - MasterАdmin (из переписки)

JPX
    Новичок
    Quote Originally Posted by iCake View Post
    This phrase means - tie me up! (literally) - for me. It's hard to think of this phrase in any other context, there may be too many of them
    Interesting... then I wonder why Google translates it as "get me!"... I figured it was because of a double meaning.

Quote Originally Posted by JPX View Post
    Interesting... then I wonder why Google translates it as "get me!"... I figured it was because of a double meaning.
    Well, I came up with another meaning for that That means - connect me (when on phone) (to someone)
    If you've spotted any mistake in my English, please, correct it. I want to be aware of any mistakes to efficiently eliminate them before they become a habit.

JPX
    Новичок
    Quote Originally Posted by iCake View Post
    Well, I came up with another meaning for that That means - connect me (when on phone) (to someone)
    Ahh, that makes more sense. "Get me" must have been referring to, for example, "Get me next time he calls!" Still not a very good translation, but at least it makes some sense now.

Quote Originally Posted by JPX View Post
    Ahh, that makes more sense. "Get me" must have been referring to, for example, "Get me next time he calls!" Still not a very good translation, but at least it makes some sense now.
    Google Translate is not known for very good translations

More variants for "свяжите меня":

"Knit me!" - subscription to the picture of the knitted, let us say, pullover.

Atually there are many ways to translate "связать" but it is difficult to interpret them when coupled with "меня".

Google translate searches for equivalents in its database and the result sometimes can be bizarre. Yesterday I checked translation to Russian of the sentence "Why do you ask my name?" and apparently got as a response the quotation from Bible: something like "Whither request thee the name of Mine?"
    "Россия для русских" - это неправильно. Остальные-то чем лучше?